The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm ordering a new Sprayer Trailer to haul JD 4830. I am looking at purchasing either a J.D. Skiles or a Roadruner Mfg.

Any Input on "Configuration"

Drop deck w/ full length deck vs. Sprayer model, Suspension, Length, Ramps (fold down, slides, fixed), chemical handling method/plumbing

As for handling chemicals, I keep a minimum of Two Totes (1 Borders / 1 Glystar) on my trailer at all times and I use a lot of 2.5 gallon jugs. Currently, I use a Tru-Kleen Chemical Processor, but it is a little slow sucking chemical from the Totes, but it is only a 2" system.

TIA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dragoguy,

Very nice chem platform. I'm liking this idea a lot.

Few Questions:

How do you secure the totes above? Is that a tandem axle? Is it stable, or does it sway? How are the fold down ramps holding up?

Most importantly, anything you'd change?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Neville Built

xtend1 I just got a brand new air ride tri-axle Neville 43' pintle trailer. If you'd like I can take some pics of my set up. Sounds to me like you're after a fifth wheel dropdeck though. I purchased it through Larry's Trailer Sales in Wichita. I cant say enough about Larry's service. Great to deal with. Also, Marvin Neville the owner, was excellent as well. Whatever configuration you want, he will build for you. I am very pleased with the end product.

·
Registered
961 Posts
dragoguy,

Very nice chem platform. I'm liking this idea a lot.

Few Questions:

How do you secure the totes above? Is that a tandem axle? Is it stable, or does it sway? How are the fold down ramps holding up?

Most importantly, anything you'd change?
I just threw a 4" ratchet strap over the three on top and never had a problem. Never tied the bottom ones. It is a tandem axle spring ride. I didnt want air ride for some of the nasty field lanes and drives on some fields. With that much weight on the trailer and that wide, it is gonna sway a little no matter which trailer you go with, but it wasnt bad. The fold down ramps are great. No issues at all, and this trailer sees some pretty nasty roads. For the space I had to work with, no I dont think I'd change anything. If I didnt need to carry so much chem around, I wouldnt go three wide again but I sure like having everything I need. The middle tote on the top was a liquid surfactant we used in every load of herbicide so it wasnt changed very often. This is a 48' You can do a lot with an extra 5'. A friend of mine has a 53' with the 3000 gallon tank on the deck, then right behind the step he has is two mixing cones, then above the cones he has his rack for 4 totes on top. Its a square so two wide and two deep. Under those totes he has another 1000 gallon tank, then under the sprayer between the rails is a diesel tank. Legal he is not, but very slick setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DANECO,

I am open to all sprayer trailer ideas. Please post some pics and specs on your Neville Built trailer.

TIA

·
Registered
65 Posts
New Neville

Transport Vehicle Asphalt Mode of transport Truck

Transport Vehicle Sky Mode of transport Wheel

Transport Vehicle Soil Grass Farm

Machine

Building Room

Roof Beam

Vehicle Transport Auto part Wheel Metal

Vehicle Agricultural machinery Automotive tire Transport Tire

Gas Vehicle Trailer

Machine Vehicle

As requested extend1. The shack on the front is not OEM. I bought it from PODS, put a side door in it for loading chemical. Can get 2-450's quite comfortably and enough boxes to spray for a full day. Built all the plumbing out of schedule 80 PVC with Banjo 90* sweeps. Also mounted a 130 micron Helix filter. So far there isn't much I would change but have only used it for 3 weeks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks great & thanks for posting! How does that tri-axle handle? My friend with a closed tandem pintle hauling a Case 4430 says it sways an awful lot.

Please send me a spec sheet on your trailer when you get a chance, I'm going with a pintle hitch now after talking with a few custom guys in my area. I'm going to copy your setup if that's alright...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
One thing I noticed about Neville trailers was no knee bracing. I didn't buy a sprayer trailer though. I bought a triaxle drop deck to haul water, bales and machinery. In our area they really like to charge to haul equipment. A few trips to town make it worth while. My Lode King has strobes in the tail, a front bulkhead, a lot of winches, toolbox, extra mudflaps, I'm looking forward to the versatility a trailer with tails gives.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Knee bracing is the pipe that goes from your small I beam crossmembers down to your main I beams. I think they are every 2ft on my Lode King. The crossmembers also vary on spacing. Some are 12" others 14 or 16". If you plan on hauling heavy equipment you want knee bracing and closer cross member spacing. If you go to the lode king website I have a SDE-3 steel with tails. They have some good pictures. Other trailers were less expensive but options and construction quality made it an easy decision.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I like it, I recently bought a pintle hitch combine trailer, I am going for a very similar concept. I only have a tandam trailer but my axles are spaced perfect to get just about exactly right weight wise but if I go a 3000 gal tank on the truck I will be heavy, so I am looking for a stupid long tri drive to ad a tag axle to and be able to balance out some weight to the front axle.

I plan on adding lots of gussets to the ledges to keep them straight and adding a deck to put my chem and such on, I want to go with a hydraulic or electric jack so I can drop the trailer easily to nurse water and I can keep my essentials close by the sprayer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts