The Combine Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The outlandish claims that are made are enough to more than irritate the rationally thinking human being. My favorite is that GMO corn makes cows sterile. Really?? Do you know how long they've been feeding GMO corn? If this were true we'd have no living cows in the USA today. When people align themselves with others that make these types of statements you automatically earn the uninformed dolt award. This is where 90% of the organic consumers are, they get their information from a news media that if possible are dumber than they are when it comes to agriculture technology and food safety.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You make a great point. Quality should be a priority. Nutrient dense food can help counteract a lot of problem caused by low quality food. If you want to feed the world, grow better food, not more food.
Thanks for the response. From what I have gathered, a lot of our healthcare issues stem from our poor food system. Of course there are a lot of other factors, too. But it seems to me that real "preventative care" would be to grow more food that promote health (and less that don't). Healthier people would drive the costs down through the reality that healthcare usage would be greatly reduced. Spending a little bit more money on food saves us a lot more money in the long run.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Brent I think most people on here are getting sick of your rants, no doubt you preach on Sundays too! :rolleyes:
Back your claims up with some actual evidence. You are getting very tiresome very quickly.
The only one on here that seems completely brainwashed is you.;)
I'm starting to think you don't farm at all but more have an agenda to push organics??:)
Not hard to guess where I would like to stick my brix refactor if I owned one!:D

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It will be interesting to see in years ahead if the organic vs non organic ideology will become old news and replaced with such an idea as now that ALL wheat is bad for you. The little woman is taking a course on nutrition and so I never heard of this till recently. There is a movement that claims only "ancient" wheat varities are good for you and whether present wheat grown is organic or inorganic is irrelevant.

I am not bashing organic in any way and I have no objection to the fridge full of products labeled as organic if it makes for a happy grocery shopper. But I think we all would agree that there will always be a part of society that will jump on the next hot topic. The next niche market could be conventionally grown wheat substitute and quinoa comes to mind.

This is a different train of thought than whether organic grains are better for you or better for the soil, the idea that ALL wheat is bad for you makes for a new game. What if such an idea became mainstream in consumer thinking.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
What if such an idea became mainstream in consumer thinking.
The price of food would skyrocket!!!

I think the government/media would try to stomp on that idea before it got any traction.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Certainly no hatred on my behalf, and I have used some natural biocontrol products with great success e.g. controlling a fungal infection in peas.

But I personally have a lot of frustration at someone who spouts "this is good, this is bad adding calcium and measuring brix will solve everything" and when asked for data/more info/real details melts away. Even more so when I know an amount of those claims to be either wrong or a considerable over-reach of what the data says. I am all for biological controls and reducing my donations to the large chem companies, but I need to either see the alternative products work AND/OR understand generally how it is working.
I'd love to see and hear (photos, trial plots etc) the products that you and others used as I personally think they have a legitimate place in a farmers' crop management toolbox-but they've got to work...
Yeah no hatred heck I enjoy reading about all farming practices this is what this site is all about not. The only thing I'm really curious about is production methods.

Organic grain farming works on the Canadian prairies GREAT, awesome .... share some experiences, field trials, field plots, crop rotations, cover crops, yield data, soil tests, price premiums vs yield and so forth. Maybe others can incorporate some of it into their system. Years ago at a seminar I saw a study but i'm sure things have changed drastically.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Pretty broad brush there my friend. I have conventional neighbors who fallow blow sand every second year they are forever burying fence lines. I don't have that problem and I'm organic. If you can't go organic please don't, but there isn't any reason to slag those that do. If we are growing such poor crops, your crop has less competition and should profit you more.

You're welcome.
This is why I say, "in my area". All of our ground is highly erodible with little top soil. My father-in-law is organic. Farms about 15-20 miles from me. He loves it and is certainly one of the better ones. Still, he has lots of weeds and his land blows. He is doing what he believes is best. Lots of arguments both ways. I will take from any view and try to apply it if it works. I may try something new just to see if it works. Organic is way to restrictive for me. I believe good honest stewardship to the ground is the best practice. It usually pays off in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
What about my room full of poisonous spiders?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This is just ******* stupid already. Brent, if I were going to throw you in a room of poisonous spiders, what would you rather have...Your gadget for checking the brix level or a jug of lorsban?
I'm afraid this won't work, see the brix thingamajober isn't organic so you need to revise the question.

1. Jug of lorsban
2. Loin cloth, ONLY if its from a certified grass fed, evil biotic, gluten free, free range, purified water.............................fed cow hide.:D

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I'm afraid this won't work, see the brix thingamajober isn't organic so you need to revise the question.

1. Jug of lorsban
2. Loin cloth, ONLY if its from a certified grass fed, evil biotic, gluten free, free range, purified water.............................fed cow hide.:D
Tried number 2 but I developed a rash.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Tried number 2 but I developed a rash.
Your brix must not be high enough then. You can't wear cotton because its that evil GMO mutant man made gene that satan developed while working at Monsanto. Polyester is out because its made of those same evil petroleum products that insecticides are made of :eek:. I guess were down to the birthday suit

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
For some reason after reading the later pages of this thread I find myself comparing my thoughts to those that occur when a certain group of religious folk make their rounds about the neighborhood. When they show up and begin there oratory, I politely explain I am Luthern and they are not about to convert me or change my mind, but if they want to talk about anything other than their religion, let the conversation carry on, otherwise, please leave....nine out of ten, will stand there a moment thinking, then acknowledge what I have said and thank me for being respectful about it. A few have even reached out their hand in an offer to shake to show the same. Sometimes they politely leave right then, other times we will end up talking about anything and everything but religion, once, even for a few hours.

But then, there is the occasional one, who no more after I get done explaining where I am at and coming from, they simply ignore it and carry on with their religious oratory...almost immediately, no more Mr Nice Guy, it is explicitly and very clearly made clear, get out of my yard and don't come back.

Brent, you remind me of the latter. I like many others, have no issue in principle with guys who want to do so called organic, nor do I dismiss the market opportunities and everything else modern society is creating for such products and growing methods. But like many others, I do take issue with the way you continuously rant on and on. There is no one particular way to grow a crop, you do what you want, and I will do it my way. I am not saying you are wrong, and therefore don't you imply that someone like me is doing it wrong either. Speak you opinion and leave it at that...unless you have some legitimate evidence to back up you claims...none of which in my opinion you have so far. The organic society is known for exaggerating the benefits and for slamming conventional agriculture, even though it is known not all poor on the chemicals to the degree of others. You keep stirring up this hornets nest, I agree with the comments someone else made, it's like there is an ulterior motive involved:confused:

81 - 94 of 94 Posts