The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resurrected my dads first grain truck bought brand new in 1959. it actually has been sitting for many years, i threw a battery in it, and pumped the squeaky accelerator a few times, and it fired right up. I pressured washed it, and only need to fix brake light switch, and put new headlamps in, otherwise it runs good. I am thinking of using this as my grocery getter when i go in for supplies and a haircut. Does anybody here know anything about it. i would love to put new wheels on it. i would think some duallys on the back and matching up front would be nice but what modern wheels would fit this? I am removing the wood grain extensions. the 235 doesn't burn any oil runs like a sewing machine, but man this thing is crazy good on fuel mileage with the one barrel carb. Wife demands me to take her for rides, lol
I think this will be a nice slow project when i find time, but would like to fix it up without turning into a resto project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I actually learned how to drive a standard with this truck, started driving it at age of 10. I remember hauling wheat to the elevator in this truck, (man i am getting old) Lol. i remember when mom drove it to the elevator, and they used those wheel hoist to lift the front in the air to dump the box, before hoists, even though this one has one.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Holy crap that thing looks really clean and straight for the age, don't find too many in that kind of shape anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Nice truck there CP. Sounds like even your brakes are working, now thats something that don't happen often after they have sat for years, usually master cylinder leaks or is stuck.
It don't look like the box is raised up off the frame, so I'm guessing there is no hoist under it? Edit...ooops I see you mentioned it does.
As for wheels, is that 6 or 8 bolt hubs? 17 inch or ??
Personally myself I would leave it as is wheel wise, putting duals on it won't line up with your fenders and it would look wrong. Those old one tons run singles when equipped with a pickup box.
If you need some tech info, ask. I probably have a book or two that would cover it specifically.

Nice to have those ties to the past, I have my grandfathers last pickup 70 F100, and all of my father's and uncle's grain trucks, their first ones, both 1953 GM 9700 and IHC R180. And then two later ones both bought new, 66 Ford 700 cabover and 67 Mercury one ton, both with box and hoist since new. Still use the later two quite often. Had to buy every one of them, but have never regretted it.
Lost my own first two first grain trucks in that fire when I was moving, 1960 GM and my fav of all, my 60 Diamond T 634C. They live in memory now only

Speaking of which, make sure you got yours insured properly in case something happens. When they did the appraisal after the fire, with the 17 foot box they rated the Daimond at 10K as a collectors, but since it was licensed, 5K as a working farm truck. Wawanesa offered to spit the difference and they paid out $7500 which I used to buy the 66 Ford 700 from uncle. He was pissed I wouldn't give him more but then no one else would top what I offered either lol.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Everything works except the vacuum operated wipers. I love the old tin, especially the COE models.
What blows my mind is the local gas station in Cudworth has parts on the shelf for it new in the box. i went in there for a condenser once, he had three new in the box. It is like hogwarts in there, parts from the 40's stacked up to the ceiling, guy is in his 90's doing tune ups in the back, just amazing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had a gummed up vacuum wiper motor on a '49? Fargo. Took it apart, cleaned out the oil and dust mix, and lubed it. It worked even when I wasn't going downhill with my foot off the gas.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 59 Apache fleetside 3/4 ton. Love those rigs! The bolt patern is the same as everything 8bolt up till like 2000s rims are easy to find and lots of options.

Believe they all came with 16.5 wheels and think the highest gear ratio was 456. And down to like 583s? Haha thinking you'd be floating the valves on the highway
And getting passed.

Mine had a 283/4spd and that thing would sing at 60mph! I have a few pretty decent old cars and always get asked to use that pickup for proms, parades and weddings. At least 5 times a summer.

That thing is super neat!

As far as I know all parts are still available for those to keep it running for hair cuts and chick picking. LMC truck and brothers if you are looking for a new seat. Mine came with a back seat out of a van I think as they are kind of narrow.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had to put in the shop this winter, since, i have been cleaning up my yard getting rid of old crap on the ground, and clearing bush, it was visible from the road, and my neighbor has a few deralects, and they have been getting pilfered, so, the drills are outside, and the 59 and my WD9 that still runs were parked inside for the winter.
Some a-hole even took parts off of his running backup JD 8820 combine, he uses around sloughs and tough spots were he doesn't want to go with his 8120. i told him to set up cameras, somebody is hitting him on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My equipment line up belongs in a museum, Lol. That 806 has done a lot of work, it was our main tractor until we got a john deere than put a loader on it. What an easy tractor to fix, i bought one of those o-ring kits from princess auto and fixed 90% of the oil leaks with just changing O-rings.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Believe they all came with 16.5 wheels and think the highest gear ratio was 456. And down to like 583s? Haha thinking you'd be floating the valves on the highway

As far as I know all parts are still available for those to keep it running for hair cuts and chick picking. LMC truck and brothers if you are looking for a new seat. Mine came with a back seat out of a van I think as they are kind of narrow.

I would recommend you say away from LMC - they just relabel products and slap $20 on the price - sometimes they don't even relabel the box.

Late 50's would be quite uncommon (not even possible) to see 16.5" wheels. Most common would be 15" (yes, even on 3/4 tons) or 16" ring locks with 17.5's and 19.5's as a less common option.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Very cool truck sir! Please please please dont repaint it! That look is priceless.... mother nature's paint job. I'd call it a rat rod with a coat of satin clear to preserve it the way it is. Or you can call it a survivor. What ever you call it you have real jem and wonderful piece of history.

A farmers rat rod. https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313873

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
A VERY nice truck in awesome shape. It is your to do with as you please of course but I would fix the wipers and remove the wood side boards (like you said you wanted) and run it as is. It needs nothing else. Whatever you decide to do just have fun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
A VERY nice truck in awesome shape. It is your to do with as you please of course but I would fix the wipers and remove the wood side boards (like you said you wanted) and run it as is. It needs nothing else. Whatever you decide to do just have fun and enjoy it.

That's the most important part, use it and enjoy it. Don't see the point of fixing something up just to look at it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
That's the most important part, use it and enjoy it. Don't see the point of fixing something up just to look at it.
Sometimes just looking at it IS enjoying it. I don't have a problem with that. However, personally, I like to drive mine. The problem I have is finding the opportunity to drive them. I work almost all summer and have few nice days available to go for a cruise. I know some people with super nice rides that never drive them. They trailer them to car shows and trailer them home. While that's not my "cup of tea", it makes them happy so I'm happy for them. They get a lot of enjoyment out of their cars doing that. However, It does remind me of something that my grandmother used to say when my grandfather insisted on putting plastic seat covers in his new car (he did it in his '55 olds and again in his last car, factory ordered '67 olds 98) "Why should I have to sit on plastic just so the next owner can have brand new seats?". It used to drive her nuts. LOL

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would recommend you say away from LMC - they just relabel products and slap $20 on the price - sometimes they don't even relabel the box.

Late 50's would be quite uncommon (not even possible) to see 16.5" wheels. Most common would be 15" (yes, even on 3/4 tons) or 16" ring locks with 17.5's and 19.5's as a less common option.
You are correct. I looked it up just last night. The stock wheels for one of mine are in the corner of the car shop and are in fact 15 inch.... I dont know where I got 16.5 it did come with 16.5s when I got it I guess. I should have known better as I just got 2 37 in pickups one has 16.5s and 1 stock and noticeably different sizes. Sorry for the miss information.

I have gotten two radios from lmc and a few dash pads n door grips in the last 10 years. I try to find original or donor if I can.
I have used "year one" for some car stuff (mostly trim and interior things) hit n miss but they take back blemished products.

Where do you recommend getting parts? Trim? anything chrome or aluminum seems to be absolutely crap though anybody I can find.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like how all the old pickups have the paint wore down/off at the bottom of the window from when they where using the a/c! (windows down arm out) also the tiny scratches from when poeple wore watches.

Somthing they need to bring back is the door handles. I've broke my share of plastic ones when it gets cold and the door freezes over. Those old ones you could probably hook on to and pull it out if you got stuck!

I'll give you what your dad gave for it brand new! cash and be on my way in 10min...

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The farm looks bare without the old equipment out in the yard in the summer. I think i saw the original brochure he had when he picked it out and it had $2200 written on it, but it was so long ago i could be way off. i am not going to paint it just put good wheels and tires and do something with the seat. other than that it is rolling into town on a regular basis. There are some old guys in town who are still around who remember my dad rolling in when he was single with his truck all polished up. It will give them a real kick to see it rolling down main street once again. I wouldn't trade for anything. Mom after a while called it the jalopy, lol and the name stuck. That truck did some hard dirty work as a stone picker, we threw such big stones in the back, i feel so bad now that i see what has endured, not just steel, but the family that grew up in it. My dad met my mom with it, drove her home from the church in it and brought me and my sisters home from the hospital in it when we were born. it hauled a lot of wheat to the elevator, and brought home groceries.
it is one of the most valuable pieces on the yard. i am trying to teach my wife to drive it, so when i pass, i hope she can bring my ashes back to the yard in it, even if it is just up the yard road. And throw me to the wind out the back were i have one of the most scenic views a flatlander could have. Thanks for all the good posts, (see, you don't necessarily need new equipment, just good ones)

PIctures are of my dad (passed), mom (passed), my smoky view, and me.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts