The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been going thru the 8010 lately, found this nice spot from a piece of steel. You'd think for the price of these machines they could borrow the metalert from the forage harvester guys...

A little work with the hammer and we're back to this

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
hahaha...

just haveing fun....you did a good job...usually with a happer i can only do picture A....

Trying to bend back to look like picture b is really tuff....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bena we had the same problem last year in our 2366.

Cutting wheat the wear strip came off the rock trap beater and when it got up in the rotor it bent the grate like yours..

We did the same thing to fix it we took it out heated it with the torch, beat it back in place with a hammer and welded it back together...

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had the same thing happen to us on one of JD's. The tightener bolt for the feeder house chain broke and it must have been on top of the grain so the rock trap didn't get and it did a number on the concaves and some threshing elements. But we had it traded so we didn't bother fixing it if we could have they were in tuff shape. Sure is amazing what a little bolt can do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
its not a different element you can tell he changed 4 wires and welded it back into place in 3 spots maybe 4 if he did on the right end

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this was a piece of tramp steel we picked up cutting soybeans. (Those draper heads can get a little too close...) Something had also taken out a couple of chopper knives, I fixed those in season, but wasn't running it at the time so I don't know what did it. That is the same element. I cut out the keystock bar to relevel it. Rewelded it on the ends and had to tack it in the middle to get it to sit level. The four wires I replaced were stolen from an extra 2388 concave.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I never understood why people insist to run their headers in the dirt for a bean here and there In all my years I've never seen these beans close to the ground like everybody self proclaims. seriously I find the ground and bring it a notch up and leave about an inch more stubble on the ground. probably don't leave a bushel out there all year. better than breaking headers and picking up rocks and all the other probs you run into when trying to blade the ground like a face razor. I worked for a guy who did it like crazy and after I spent a day fixing his flex header I was a real dick about him not hunting like that anymore. I got in and rode 10 feet and said whoa whoa whoa. Scoot over and then I showed him the way to the promise land. Whenever someone wanted to finish a farm critically in a short amount of time (weather, breakdowns) I always used that trick to ensure no lossed time fixing the header. Now I do it that way all the time. Not saying thats what you did bena or anyone but this irritates me. keep the headers out of the dirt people.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You must be blessed with better ground than me and a lot of others. If I raise my cutterbar an inch I'll probably lose a couple bushel per acre. At $12- $14 this fall that adds up. I wish the soybean breeders would have them without pods on the bottom 6 inches.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You must have never harvested edible beans. Adzukis for example have pods that touch the ground and at $30 a bushel bringing it up a notch isn't an option.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Uh........add Alfalfa Seed to the list of crops that have to be shaved. Thus the invention of rock traps? That being said I've put no less than 5 different pieces of steel though my STS in the last 3 years, 3 triple K teeth, one alloway cultivator cutaway disk assembly, and a pair of channel locks believe it or not. And yes I've had to heat, torch, weld and hammer a couple of concaves, and replace one set of 3 threshing elements and 4 sets of 3 separating tines. All but one went through when combining A. Seed the other went through when doing pintos. BTW I hate the sound it makes when something gets past the rock trap.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
You must be blessed with better ground than me and a lot of others. If I raise my cutterbar an inch I'll probably lose a couple bushel per acre. At $12- $14 this fall that adds up. I wish the soybean breeders would have them without pods on the bottom 6 inches.
Woundn't that be nice. . .That's the second time this year I've heard somebody say that!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks familiar.

We ran a disk blade through our 8120 cutting beans. Did a beautiful job slicing the blade into four sections. Only problem we never did find the fourth section in the field. I'm sure well pick it up again sometime in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts