The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Very nice 8820! Is that the factory paint? What type of duals are you running? Those don't look factory. If you bought them, do you mind saying how much they cost and what size? We would love to put duals on our 8820 but can't find any around.

How does that 88 handle the 930F? How fast can you go in various crops with that head? What was your bushel per acre?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there Clay. Good to hear from ya.
That is factory paint on it...never buffed or waxed it but I kept her clean with the power washer using Dawn dishwashing liquid in the soap injector and a soft bristled brush/broom made for washing semi's. And it was stored inside out of the harsh sunlight.It had some light surface scratches and the area above the straw chopper edges had small dents from flying corncobs inside and some other cosmetic dents in the feeder house area but it was a "cherry" otherwise.

Those are Kirchner Straddle Duals made in Dundee Mn.(507-468-2451) and they were on the machine when we got it. Tire size 18.4-42. I've never priced aftermarket dual wheel setups for combines. There are other co.'s making wheels to be found online also. This machine also had the heavy-duty planetary drive axle on it which I'd strongly recommend. If you've been following my posts you know that this machine burned in Sept. '07. It was taken to a salvage yard in Hendricks Mn. but I haven't been by there to see if it's still there. The R-side wheels weren't burned at all but L-side were toasted so may have had too much heat to be strength trusted. But you may find the wheels there yet.
http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Articles.asp?ID=138
The machine would push that 930F at 2.8-3.4 mph in wheat or beans. This particular wheat field yielded poorly (37bpa) due to being hailed on when it was pollinating and then hailed on 2 more times. The wheat had enough plant growth to be 80bpa but the fickle finger of Mother Nature touched it.

I'll update this thread some other time with pics of the 8820 in corn or soybeans.If no rain then we'll get real busy here by next weekend.Lots to do before then though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. I must have missed where you stated that it burned. Did you find out the cause? Did you lose your 930 too? We would love to find a set of duals like yours. Did you ever have any problems with them cracking? I think that I have seen a set of those rims on a 9500 once. We have the planetary final drives and we also have factory axle spacers with a cross rod connecting them. I'm assuming for support. I sure do hate that you lost such a nice machine. So what did you replace the 88 with? Another?

You mentioned that your combine had big extensions on it. Well my dad and myself ran across this 8820 back in 8/06 in Assumption, IL @ Sloan's. I took these shots with my camera phone. These extensions were huge. Might have been homemade for all I know. I know that I haven't seen any other machine with the same ones. It was an '87 model with factory duals and was extremely nice.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A fuel line in the engine compartment ruptured spraying fuel over everything. The header had damage but was refurbished by someone else.
We never cracked or broke a wheel on this machine but the wheel studs would pop the heads off and when we'd replace them we'd use a longer bolt with threads that would stick thru the hub so we could grab it with a vice-grip and turn it out.
We replaced it with a 9650STS.Here's the thread on that:
http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....lay&thread=6138
Some day if we find another good low hour 8820 we might try to buy it.The ones that are left are mostly high hr'd and still being used or they're in the salvage yards and very few of them at that.
The 1st owner of the combine had a Maurer topper on it but we thought they would stress the combine too much so we just added a 2 by 6 on each side with some old conveyor belting on the corners. This didn't give us much more capacity but it kept grain from overflowing on steep hillsides.
I'd say the topper on that Ill. combine was made by Hiniker of Mankato Mn. and painted green. There was a machinery jockey here that brought in a lot of used 7700s from Ill. that had yellow Hiniker toppers on them.Very similar design to what was on that 8820 you posted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Kirchner makes some fine stuff. We run a set of his duals on our combine now also. 710-70R38 Michelins dualed up on a 9790 Massey. We just traded that machine in for a 9895 Massey and its sitting on the same setup of tires and rims. Both has the axle spacer blocks and truss rods running between them. Never gave us any trouble either.

Also, that is about the cleanest 8820 I've seen in a long time. The last of that series has been gone from my area for over 5 years. Just none left running. Its getting harder and harder to see anything older than a 50 series Deere around me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts