The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for an outback s3 screen but not much luck. It’s to go in a combine I bought recently. It has an edrive bolted to the floor and a receiver. Been told all that is needed is the screen. Are there other screens that could be used instead of the s3. Another option would be to sell what’s in the combine and buy an alternative auto steer unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Assuming combined doesn’t have integrated auto steer. Getting a new outback rebel screen would be the way to go if you can’t find an s3 used as you already got most of it in there.

Got a used tractor about 5 years ago now with outback everything but the screen and globe. Bought an s3 with globe and cable for 6000. Switch everything to Deere was close to 15, Trimble was 12 if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I see s3's pop up on auction websites like auction time and big iron from time to time.
An s2 will work with the edrive tc also.

I dont believe a rebel or max will work without switching out the box to a xd.

Another good place to watch is Ebay as crazy as that sounds.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I see s3's pop up on auction websites like auction time and big iron from time to time.
An s2 will work with the edrive tc also.

I dont believe a rebel or max will work without switching out the box to a xd.

Another good place to watch is Ebay as crazy as that sounds.
A Max will connect to an Edrive Tc. I have it in my JCB spray tractor. It steers through a VSI wheel. Also connects to a 110 for the sprayer functions.

·
Registered
897 Posts
In all honesty, I'd look at updating the monitor to a Max. The S3 to my understanding hasn't been supported for a couple of years now, so if there is an issue with it getting it fixed will be very difficult. The screen on one of ours went and it was more cost effective to replace the S3 with a max. But, if you are running the Outback RTK system, you'll need to update your receivers, and transmitter as the old ones aren't supported. We were lucky enough to get some thing for ours. I don't recall if the dealer bought them to have spares if they had one fail on another unit or if someone bought them threw the dealership, but our up date didn't cost that much. this was 4-5 years ago

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
In all honesty, I'd look at updating the monitor to a Max. The S3 to my understanding hasn't been supported for a couple of years now, so if there is an issue with it getting it fixed will be very difficult. The screen on one of ours went and it was more cost effective to replace the S3 with a max. But, if you are running the Outback RTK system, you'll need to update your receivers, and transmitter as the old ones aren't supported. We were lucky enough to get some thing for ours. I don't recall if the dealer bought them to have spares if they had one fail on another unit or if someone bought them threw the dealership, but our up date didn't cost that much. this was 4-5 years ago
I was just on the phone today with my rep cause I have a baseline x and was afraid it would not work with the max but I was told it will, would not have had I had a baseline HD witch is what I thought I had.
My rep told me someone in Australia had successfully made a harness for the rover to use the baseline HD though.

Outback did go through one of my S3's about a year and a half ago for me and gave me a one year warranty on it. They did scare me last year with my edrive X though but they did repair it for me.
I've to date only had a backlight die in one of my three S3's and they repaired it free of charge and did all updates on it plus an rtk unlock because for some reason it was never registered and its vin number was not in the system. It was probably 5 years old at the time.

After seeing all this crap going down with deere I am sure happy to have outback, still got my first S light bar witch I believe I got in 99 or 2000 and it still works even attached to the handle bars of my 4 wheeler for spraying weeds. All the chemical baths its had and still works.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Been looking for an outback s3 screen but not much luck. It’s to go in a combine I bought recently. It has an edrive bolted to the floor and a receiver. Been told all that is needed is the screen. Are there other screens that could be used instead of the s3. Another option would be to sell what’s in the combine and buy an alternative auto steer unit. Thanks.
A S3, STS,or STX with 1.5 v software will run the E drive. The STX would be the best choice. S3 and STS are no longer serviced by Outback.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
After seeing all this crap going down with deere I am sure happy to have outback, still got my first S light bar witch I believe I got in 99 or 2000 and it still works even attached to the handle bars of my 4 wheeler for spraying weeds. All the chemical baths its had and still works.

I'd be more worried about the operator :eek:

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I'd be more worried about the operator :eek:
I will stand in front of a judge as witness that glyphosate does not cause cancer, admitting to not wearing proper ppe.
Infact, even with all of the harsh herbicides I have taken a bath in I am not shooting blanks either. My third son arrived just a month ago.

Wonder what Monsanto would pay me for a testimony?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts