The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rogator showed up today and after spraying the first 5 quarters I sure miss the outback auto steer and sectional control on my old sprayer. Has anyone went from an outback system to a raven and actually liked it and think it's better? First off I can't seem to get used to lining up and engaging the auto steer. Outback system with the auto engage you just had to get close and it would grab the line and you could even steer the wheel a little to help it out if you weren't perfect. This raven if you sneeze on the wheel it disengages. Also I can't seem to figure out how to "snap" a new line on the same heading as the previous.
The other thing I notice already is it's not simple to manually spray while stopped to get out and check the nozzles. With the outback you just flipped on the section and it would spray.
Hopefully most of this is because I'm not familiar with the system yet and I'm not doing things right.
Any advice?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually don't know what it is. Dealer brought it today and he got me going and I shut it off at end of day. I assume it will say what it is when i turn it on again?? It's in a 2014 rogator 1100

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
New rogator showed up today and after spraying the first 5 quarters I sure miss the outback auto steer and sectional control on my old sprayer. Has anyone went from an outback system to a raven and actually liked it and think it's better? First off I can't seem to get used to lining up and engaging the auto steer. Outback system with the auto engage you just had to get close and it would grab the line and you could even steer the wheel a little to help it out if you weren't perfect. This raven if you sneeze on the wheel it disengages. Also I can't seem to figure out how to "snap" a new line on the same heading as the previous.
The other thing I notice already is it's not simple to manually spray while stopped to get out and check the nozzles. With the outback you just flipped on the section and it would spray.
Hopefully most of this is because I'm not familiar with the system yet and I'm not doing things right.
Any advice?
I have to agree with you 100% that the Outback has a far superior guidance system than Raven! Nothing to set on the Outback, works good right out of the box with no tweaking necessary other than an initial set on the hydraulic servo unit.. Raven never finds the line until you are right on top of it and then can jerk you, never auto engages the line, sometimes even have to send a forward command because it thinks you are going backwards. That in itself tells me how much thought went into their system and design! I was forced to use the Raven Viper pro in my sprayer because that is what it came with. However, I would have much preferred an Outback System! Sometimes have to refresh the GPS because it loses that too!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Any advice?
What I used to do to check nozzles when stopped was
1 turn on the outside throttle control and flip the external pump switch on
2 if you do not have a job open but the viper on it will spray stopped(close a job with the booms folded and master switch on and you get to clean windows:sFun_doh2:) but I have added a Spray Test controller and that has made checking and cleaning the booms a much nicer job.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
What I used to do to check nozzles when stopped was
1 turn on the outside throttle control and flip the external pump switch on
2 if you do not have a job open but the viper on it will spray stopped(close a job with the booms folded and master switch on and you get to clean windows:sFun_doh2:) but I have added a Spray Test controller and that has made checking and cleaning the booms a much nicer job.
The viper 4 has a really neat feature with a section control overide with a timer, so say you have a plugged nozzel but you are not sure exactly witch one you can set it for 15 seconds, run out and look and then it will shut off automatically, no leaving a job or nothing

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The viper 4 has a really neat feature with a section control overide with a timer, so say you have a plugged nozzel but you are not sure exactly witch one you can set it for 15 seconds, run out and look and then it will shut off automatically, no leaving a job or nothing
Sounds ok but still can't beat turning sections off and on with a remote in your hand

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Sounds ok but still can't beat turning sections off and on with a remote in your hand
First off.... If I had a detachable penis I would have lost it years ago, I can't imagine how the remote would work out for me....

But anyways it sure beets the heII out of closing out of a field just so you can run the booms manually, makes life so much easier like when you run out of juice, or when you want to double spray something. I wish the manual option for the pump was also that way, the viper 4 has a decent way of switching to manual but if I could set it for 15 seconds and tap it just before spraying a corner I think it would be great

I also have CP nozzel bodies with the pin on the poppet I can pull to check nozzles one by one

Should add it's alot easier looking for plugged nozzels on a front boom sprayer, if I had a rear boom system I would definitely be alot more interested in a system like that

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a remote control for my viper pro as well. Useless to use it. The range of the remote is about 2 out of 10 sections out from the cab! It sits in the back of the seat and is useless. I haven't had time to see where the antenna/signal comes from. Assume that if I could move it out of where it is hiding, it might work better! However it never was set up out of the box properly. Oh it does work fine from the sprayer seat!! If you do manage to get to work you may have to walk all the way back to the cab in order to turn it off!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have a remote control for my viper pro as well. Useless to use it. The range of the remote is about 2 out of 10 sections out from the cab! It sits in the back of the seat and is useless. I haven't had time to see where the antenna/signal comes from. Assume that if I could move it out of where it is hiding, it might work better! However it never was set up out of the box properly. Oh it does work fine from the sprayer seat!! If you do manage to get to work you may have to walk all the way back to the cab in order to turn it off!
Not sure what the problem with yours is?
Ours works good from the cab,behind or at each boom end.
Have you calledthe guys at spraytest They seem pretty helpful maybe can help you out.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not sure what the problem with yours is?
Ours works good from the cab,behind or at each boom end.
Have you calledthe guys at spraytest They seem pretty helpful maybe can help you out.
No I haven't. Do you know where it is mounted (the antennae) for your system? Is it in the cab or external? I used different batteries but that was as far as my troubleshooting went. I snooped a wee bit around the machine but really didn't know what I was looking for! For the most part I can see which nozzles go bad from the cab. I should look into it more when I have time but that is where the problem lies. Years and conditions like this year have me scrambling everyday - not very relaxing to say the least!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
No I haven't. Do you know where it is mounted (the antennae) for your system? Is it in the cab or external? I used different batteries but that was as far as my troubleshooting went. I snooped a wee bit around the machine but really didn't know what I was looking for! For the most part I can see which nozzles go bad from the cab. I should look into it more when I have time but that is where the problem lies. Years and conditions like this year have me scrambling everyday - not very relaxing to say the least!

I know they changed them up a couple yrs ago. Mine is about a five inch square box with the antenna mounted on it. I mounted it in the center of the rack at the rear. It's on a Rogator. The older ones were about a 8 or 10in box cream or brown color? But it should be at the back wired into your boon control harness.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks. I will have a look. Mine should be about a 2012 vintage. It was mounted from new on a NH Front mount but have no idea where it is. I just know it works great from the cab!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts