The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the best way to support a chain/paddle conveyer(150') on top of 4 bins. towers, attached to stiffeners on bins, or is bolted to the roof cap enough?

·
Registered
809 Posts
You putting the conveyor on a catwalk? I've seen setups where guys attached the towers to the stiffeners and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I'd imagine stiffener extensions with a cross member would be adequate, there's a fair bit of steel in stiffeners, and you're only reinforcing the top of the bin with the cross members.

·
Registered
380 Posts
bin foundation

I would worry about your bins settling. You didn't mention it, maybe you have them on concrete? or a very good firm foundation? I know some of my bins settle and attaching them together, something would have to give and bend.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The overhead conveyor on our bins 10" x 50' , joining 2 42' bins just mounted to the roof cap plus one end also supported the down tube from the leg . I thought it was a Mickey Mouse way to do it but for the 6 years it was in place it worked fine . It was later switched to an air system .

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
We had a 8" drag above 4 hopper bins and they were bolted to a single concrete pad. They still shifted and caused things to bind, I'm not how to avoid this but it is a real concern.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
So you'd want some form of structural attachment at one end, and a free-floating support all the way along that allows for individual movement? Like a free-hanging cable system with adjustable eyelets at the end so you can tension each on individually? It's a lot of work to set up and adjust, but at least you would only be doing it every once in a while (2-3 years?).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Posthijacker if I knew I'd be happy to tell you , but the boss would get mad at one company and switch to the other in the area then get mad at them and switch again .. I'm pretty sure the tube came from GSI though then there were two short angle iron legs on each end because we didn't cut the lids so we had to have room to remove them .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts