The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
12"on 110'. I then just adjust my distance calibration up a touch so that a square 160 ac quarter has 160ac. If I'm within an acre or two either way on a quarter i think that's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
110' boom. I'd have to double check, but I think tracking is set for 109' or 109'6". Don't see much for misses. If the wind is blowing cross-ways, it will be the same W->E wind for every pass.....

As for acres per 160ac.....must be nice to have those square fields!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I'm not following what you mean. Could you elaborate?
Sorry for the confusion...

I overlap 12" and my boom is 110'. I have very few square quarters, but I have my distance or speed cal set a couple of points down so that my overlaps (row to row and headlands) don't create large overages. This way I have effective and complete coverage, without the extra expense of the overlaps. I've cheated the system to think it's only applied over the actual physical area. You could do the same thing by taking your target rate X an overlap multiplier.

eg) 10gal/ac x 160ac actual/164ac applied=9.76 gal/ac target rate. (using the common extra 4ac/quarter that 'wetfoot' stated in post #12)

Your application will still work, but you save most of your overrun costs on every field.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
With that track spacing, how many applied acres do you get on a 160 acre perimeter? Do you ever see any small misses when spraying in a cross or quartering wind?
On a true square 160, with nothing to go around the lowest I have seen applied acres was 1.1 acres over perimeter. I don't know my swath control settings off hand, but they are pretty generous to avoid skips and overlap at headlands. And pass to pass I have yet to find a miss except maybe where the operator (me) didn't engage auto steer directly on line. 110 degree nozzles help too.

I have never seen a miss due to wind direction. At least nothing visible. This is all on sf1.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Two potholes and a house/yard in the corner... I am constantly 158.5 on a 156 acre field.. 89' on 90' foot booms, no auto shutoffs. And I still have people complaining.. One acre per field is common... Unless you don't mind the outside three rows not growing. I don't mind hitting trees and fence posts.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Two I don't mind hitting trees and fence posts.:D.
that is funny I mind it like crazy unfortunately it does not stop me . I can say though I have not had to replace a fence post since I went to a front. Boom though. I over lap 6" on 93' boom only skips I ever notice is where I run out of products and when I load back up I get in a fight with it where I actually ran out.... I would not want to spray without auto boom ever again. I do not understand guys who will buy new sprayer but will not want to spend a few bucks on great technology that definitly pays. Or maybe they are not as cheap as me and do not care how much overlap and stuff they have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I custom spray and I keep records of every field I spray and what the applied ac. are if it is the first time I spray a field I will do a perimeter and if it is a square field I will allow for 4 percent more for my applied then actual ac. If there are lots of things to go around I up the percentage to be safe .i then take the gals. And divide by ac. and adjust my rate and then leave the long straight rounds to the last and when I have 5 or 6 laps left I keep tract of how many ac. are in a round and adjust gals. To make it work out at the end it has worked out for me good over the years.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I custom spray and I keep records of every field I spray and what the applied ac. are if it is the first time I spray a field I will do a perimeter and if it is a square field I will allow for 4 percent more for my applied then actual ac. If there are lots of things to go around I up the percentage to be safe .i then take the gals. And divide by ac. and adjust my rate and then leave the long straight rounds to the last and when I have 5 or 6 laps left I keep tract of how many ac. are in a round and adjust gals. To make it work out at the end it has worked out for me good over the years.
My coop is know to do that, especially when they are say 200 gallons short.
My sprayer is to old to handle the updates. Honestly I would take auto steer before auto boom. I have seen overlap from auto boom where the operator was just going to fast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.