The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share a picture of an odd looking machine. I don't know much about them except they are outfitted with a 12.5 L JD engine and they harvest peas. I Ekotuned 3 of them for a custom operator a couple weeks ago for better fuel / production performance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
WTH. Never seen anything like this! Must be missing a header of some sort. Almost looks like it might clean the peas as they go through the machine. Also not much of a hopper so must need a cart of semi driving alongside. Weird.
David.

·
Registered
109 Posts
WTH. Never seen anything like this! Must be missing a header of some sort. Almost looks like it might clean the peas as they go through the machine. Also not much of a hopper so must need a cart of semi driving alongside. Weird.
David.

You are so correct small hopper then into dump cart then into trucks trying not to crush the peas. and a 15' stripper head (not shown)Auto header .auto leveling of the combine sort of like hill sides but smaller scale, all 6 wheels drive, peas go into the center of a large screened rotor peas fall through openings to be elevated to the bin (small dump hopper) and straw out the back .
The owner has had self propelled pea combines since 1980 they buy a new one every year I think they have 6 now usually 5 but no buyer for the oldest one this year so far!
He started with Hemachecks (Not spell correct) Then switched to FMC to the present.
They also harvest Lima Beans after pea season each fall. List price$575,000 us.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
i Ran one of them one summer for the local canning factory. 1992 FMC. They also had a 1993, 1994 and a 1980s 4 wheel one with an air cooled Duetz

Quite the experience.

For only driving 1-3mph there is actually a lot going on you have to pay attention to. The Threshing cylinder pressure is the big thing to watch. Too low and your not getting anything done, too high and your in there cleaning it out by hand. If you keep the light blinking at you, you will have maximum effieciency. However they often pick with all of them in the same field running the same passes right behind each other so you can only go so fast.

The older one that I ran had a New Holland TR combine cab. The A/C compressor was run hydraulically and bolted to the bottom of the cab floor, turn it on and you would go deaf from the noise, better than sweating though.

The auto leveling was crucial of course, but with the stripper head mounted directly underneath the cab, when you were going down a hill i found myself standing up a lot to see the edge of the head.

I dont remember the hopper capacity but it wasnt much. It simply slides out on a roller trips at the end to open the gate and then tips up to dump them out.

Inside is a million gauges and switches and blinky lights. Im sure the newer ones are different.

I remember we couldnt lift the head up all of the way or it would crack the frames underneath.

Top speed 15mph in High, 6 or 7mph in low. And even when in low crawling hills they would still blow hydraulic hoses and such from the stress.

Very long and clumsy, takes awhile to get used to but is a lot of fun. They dont get stuck very often. We picked a sidehill after a couple inches of rain, had ruts that were neerly 2 feet deep and we were just sliding at a 30* angle across the field. If one ever did get stuck it usually took the other 3 to pull it out.

The stripper heads can shift side to side to offset the picking if needed. the ones we ran were 13.5' IIRC.

Overall it was definately interesting.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
heres an inside video of one like what I ran. Only the one in the video is older with singles and by the sounds of it the big air cooled V8.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is actually the larger of the 2 pea combines oxbo currently offers. It holds roughly 5000 pounds of peas. The smaller combine holds between 2500 and 3000 pounds.

Workin for 2 companies that harvested vegetables have been some of the funniest experiences of my life. Running at night is my favorite. Always seeing new areas.I've ran the smaller "Oxbo Legacy 2440" for 2 seperate companies. Its also powered by a 12.5 liter engine. Nice machine pretty good in the mud.

·
Registered
423 Posts
back in the day i had two tractors pulling 2 fmc,s about 1970 to 1977 i also cut peas with a tractor that would windrow them then the tractors pulling the combines would shell the peas. Before we did this my dad also worked for for the canning co. he would haul peas on the vines to the vinerys as they were called with a old single axle truck with high plywood side ten ton loads would be forked into the viner in 90 degree heat. Check out pea viners on youtube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I've been having problems with our oxbo legacy 2440 pea harvester. The auger won't turn what so ever. Any ideas???!!!! Need the help desperately

1 - 11 of 11 Posts