The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I was thinking about changing to stiletto, im running 7.5 inch spacings on a spring tyne deere 737. I decided to buy a new bar instead, a deere 1870 conservapak @ 12 inch sown paired row 3 inch with fert in middle 1.5" below seed. should arrive next month.

problem with stiletto is depth control, can vary a bit, at least a mate of mines did. and they are very expensive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the removable point one is the new version. They cost about $280au and the old ones just the boot cost $143au. they place the seed 75 mm apart and the fert 15mm below. We put them on our flexi 820 on 180lbs due to sheet rock in spots. From asking around about blockages basically the blokes in heavy mud /clay said they don't have any problems. I do know he makes a contour/ paralink version but im not sure about conservapak . Jason from rootboot is very helpful worth having a chat to.

Root Boot - Innovative Seeding Systems - ROOTBOOT

·
Registered
911 Posts
So the removable point one is the new version. They cost about $280au and the old ones just the boot cost $143au. they place the seed 75 mm apart and the fert 15mm below. We put them on our flexi 820 on 180lbs due to sheet rock in spots. From asking around about blockages basically the blokes in heavy mud /clay said they don't have any problems. I do know he makes a contour/ paralink version but im not sure about conservapak . Jason from rootboot is very helpful worth having a chat to.

Root Boot - Innovative Seeding Systems - ROOTBOOT
I have used stilletto, rootboot, primary single, agmaster.
Started with a Flexi 820 on 350lbs, Stillettos. Worked fine in sandy loam and sandy gravel. Soon as we hit heavy dirt the trouble started. With 350lb the tynes drag back and the seed boots point into the air and seed above the ground. Also in both cultivated and notill the fert tubes and sometimes seed plug constantly. Trialed rootboots that year on outer wings and worked fine running straight but plugged outer seed run when turning in clay. Jason said it was an operator problem. We said so you expect us to not seed 10% of our country??? We have to turn with the bar in the ground due to twisty breakaway country.
Next year bought a JD1820 with single shoot Primaries on 10inch, 550lb tynes. Works pretty well but we want double shoot for extra crop competition. This year we fitted agmaster paired row. Found to be pretty good, lost some due to rocks and the silly clips coming off. To their credit when I mentioned this at Dowerin field day they sent me 10 replacement points with new design clips. We had trouble with wheat and oat stubble blocking as the boots are wider and push up a bow wave of soil in front of the tyne. Mostly fixed by fitting agmaster strawguards on the front two rows. We are also making sure that no matter how heavy the crop we are cutting at beer can height. Where we cut high last year and sheep pushed it down flat was where we had trouble blocking. Standing tall straw was not too bad.
We also used more fuel as the agmaster puts a lot of steel in the ground so increases draft. I think the rootboot may be a bit better in this regard.I really like the tungsten on the agmaster as they look like new after 2500ha (6250ac)
Hope this helps.

Edit. Had another look at the photo of the new rootboot. It looks like they have changed where the seed exits, can't be certain but he seems to have changed it so the seed exits to the rear. The ones I trialed had the seed exits open to the side a bit. As soon as we turns to go around rockheaps, breakaways etc the runs on the outer wings plugged. Maybe Jason did listen to me after all!! Credit to him if so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used stilettos for three years. Used original version and new red dog. Are fine in sandy or dry conditions but cannot double shoot in wet clay conditions. Fert outlet plugs. Also tried to put liquid behind the point but also builds up with dirt. Looking at the root boot also so I can double shoot and use liquid in furrow

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
We ran the Agmaster new paired row system last year and was please with them, have mostly clay soils with a wet seeding this year and did not have too many issues with them blocking.Did have some issues with the bolts coming loose but tried new blots and washers with locktite. Agmaster are replacing all the bolts and washers plus the two boots we lost and i think are recomending the above practice.We run a flexicoil 820 350lbs breakout which with them bouncing all day might have been the issue as a couple of other farmers with john deere airhoe drills with 550lbs had no trouble. Was also single shoot.All in all pretty happy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
We ran the Agmaster new paired row system last year and was please with them, have mostly clay soils with a wet seeding this year and did not have too many issues with them blocking.Did have some issues with the bolts coming loose but tried new blots and washers with locktite. Agmaster are replacing all the bolts and washers plus the two boots we lost and i think are recomending the above practice.We run a flexicoil 820 350lbs breakout which with them bouncing all day might have been the issue as a couple of other farmers with john deere airhoe drills with 550lbs had no trouble. Was also single shoot.All in all pretty happy.
we have an 1820 with 550lb tynes with agmaster twin row boots. Took a number of tightening sessions over a couple of days on the bolts before they stayed tight. We lost a few due to bolts breaking but that was on extremely rocky country.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Ok once you got them tight in the end did they stay tight ours kept coming loose even the first time done up to proper touque setting then tweeked them again after a 100 hec then to the old tight as f--- and still worked loose. Lost patience rang agramaster and they then recommended the lochtite but the damage was already done to the bolts which is why they are replacing them but still a pain to cut all old ones off and redo them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have run a 1870 JD conserva Pak for 4 seasons and added splitter boots last year to try and narrow up spacing, as 12" is to far in my opinion for weed competition. We have some real puggy heavy grey clays and never had any trouble with blocks but still not sold on weed competition. Still use singles on canola though. Looking in to a protrakker to try and get back the yield penalty of the wide spacing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have run a 1870 JD conserva Pak for 4 seasons and added splitter boots last year to try and narrow up spacing, as 12" is to far in my opinion for weed competition. We have some real puggy heavy grey clays and never had any trouble with blocks but still not sold on weed competition. Still use singles on canola though. Looking in to a protrakker to try and get back the yield penalty of the wide spacing.
Just wondering how your single row seed openers worked for holding up your swaths with cereals? Did you have issues wt too much space between stubble to keep the swaths off the ground? I'm currently looking at an older Conserva Pak wt single row openers and am pricing out paired openers because I'm afraid I'll have issues wt not sufficient stubble in my cereals to hold swaths up. Canola I'd prefer the singles mind you. Thoughts?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.