The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have a John Deere 1820 with Dutch 3.5 inch paired row with nh3. I find the seed placement on canola is poor and germination and emergence is poor. I know a lot of that is just the fact it’s not a precision drill. But I can’t afford one of them right now. The Dutch rep says simply switching to a single row would help with that. With lower soil disturbance. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Cost isn’t horrible would just be a different sealer plate and a single seed boot instead of a split one.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have stealth paired row on my 1820. They came with rig when I bought it and just replace what breaks or wears which isn’t much considering the stones. What I learned with those openers is you can seed too deep and do a crap job in canola or even wheat. Another thing they’re not meant for speed. If the job looks uneven slow down. 4.5mph or less. Some years I’ve stuck to 4mph as going faster was not doing an adequate job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are you sure it’s the opener giving you trouble and not something like too much fan speed from the cart? I was fairly pleased with both my 1820 when I had them and ran paired row on both.

·
Registered
388 Posts
IMO to make a c-shank hoe drill as accurate as possible, you use narrow 3/4" or 1" openers.
As snapper mentioned, seeding at around 4mph makes a huge difference too.
You're biggest challenge would then be getting your fertilizer applied.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually stick to 4mph in canola. 4.5 in wheat and barley. I find it makes for a **** seed bed. With the wide openers it’s pulling up old root balls from previous years. I’ve got seed anywhere from on top of the ground to buried so deep it’ll never come up. I’m usually increasing seed rates to have adequate plant count in canola. I believe fan speeds are in range with the charts. Was in hopes maybe a narrower opener would be more accurate.
I do put down a lot of fertilizer. 100-130 lbs of actual N with nh3. That’s 1 1/4 below. Then another 100 lbs of dry blend with the seed. perhaps too much if were to go single row.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That’s the compromise.
A narrow opener will greatly improve the problems you have. However, you are going to need to find another way to get your N down.
With 1” openers on 10” spacing we feel we are safe with 120lb of S15 for canola. And around 120 P and K for cereals. I think that is the limit for us, others feel that is too much.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Where is the NH3 being put? I run the 3.5 inch paired row open double shoot gumbo tip on my
Flexicoil 5000 drill. If the NH3 is put down with this tip when seeding canola I can not see how you will not get gassing off and burn. We have disc levelers on every shank and every row has the same soil cover over it. The levelers do not make it a independent opener drill but greatly improves accuracy and germination.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
That is a completely different opener than ours. With the NH3 going so much deeper are you fracturing the seed bed or is it a problem that you do not have good dirt closure behind the opener?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SouthernSK mainly dirt closure but I find last years rows very wide a dense so I pull up a lot of old root balls and end up burying a lot of seed deep then some not flowing around the shanks and closing. So my theory of narrower row and less soil disturbance would help that is what I’m hoping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts