The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting to my marketer this arvo about the possibilty of setting up a paper trading competition to market a parcel of grain over a season and see who got the best results . In Australia it would be like footy tipping but with the grain market.

Would any moderators have any idea how we could set it up?

Basic rules would be best cents per bushel from a certain commodities exchange, a need to market 5000t of a commodity by a certain date. Ties could be broken by a good season parcel of grain to dispose of past the end date.

Anybody got any ideas how to set it up?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just thinking about it; taking wheat as an example, we could just use an honour system and quote our previous trades using the quote feature and average our own price. 100t parcels .

So for example if I was trading today the price would be 665-6 c/bu (maybe make it selling 100000bu in 1000bu parcels)

I would say selling 1000bu wheat 665-6 average price 665-6
It may be a bit of work but it could be worth it .

The major commodities here seem to be wheat canola corn and soya beans.

I use the website http://m.agrimoney.com/futures.phpfor quick price lookup.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that flew like a bag of wet cement ....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Lol! nig I think everyone is tearing there hair out getting the sh*t into the ground...I myself think I would make more on paper and should leave the tractor in the shed...will be giving Sir Wayne a call once this nightmare is over to talk about sheep! Is there a training site I wonder so you can do some dummy runs in trading to see how it works before sticking the neck out? ...they always promote the upside...but surely there is a downside..??

Ant..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My marketer has a plan that says you can't beat averages. If you are trading in the top 75% of the last five years of prices you should get above average prices if you take those opportunities. I myself think in an average price year twenty six weeks will provide bullish signals and twenty six weeks will provide bearish signals . If you want to market 5000t then you basically need to trade 200t per week in the bull market to achieve above average prices. My marketer also says that the best opportunities to trade for the last five years have been before Aprils end and before Augusts end. Makes waiting to harvest and sell in December tricky.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol! nig I think everyone is tearing there hair out getting the sh*t into the ground...I myself think I would make more on paper and should leave the tractor in the shed...will be giving Sir Wayne a call once this nightmare is over to talk about sheep! Is there a training site I wonder so you can do some dummy runs in trading to see how it works before sticking the neck out? ...they always promote the upside...but surely there is a downside..??

Ant..
You wouldn't be talking about sir Wayne smith of Agronomic Acumen fame would you?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yep...Sir Wayne...I am toying up if I should bother with faba beans or start my breeding flock...I have to make a plan to get out of the mine in a few years..would be nervous if I don't have stock...or become an expert paper trader!!

Ant...maybe a futures trading app that has a dummy run feature would be a hit??

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Basic rules would be best cents per bushel from a certain commodities exchange, a need to market 5000t of a commodity by a certain date. Ties could be broken by a good season parcel of grain to dispose of past the end date.

Anybody got any ideas how to set it up?
I have heard you can set up a mock portfolio on: Barchart.com - Futures Markets Overview, futures charts and prices

It would likely be under "my portfolios" at the bottom of the page. Never done it but it might be fun to play with. Lots of info on the site anyways.;)

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
Yep...Sir Wayne...I am toying up if I should bother with faba beans or start my breeding flock..
Ant,

have you got enough water so that they can make it through the week that you're away i.e. dams or are you on troughs? A plan of attack to deal with flies- I presume you're going with sheep?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Do I have enough water...it rains for 10 months of the year here and drips of the trees for 2!!! I know what your saying Ad...once I have spoken to Wayne and done some more research I will start another thread..fat lambs or livestock versus cropping ... Risk versus reward...being able to sleep at nite or die young...we will have that discussion...sitting inside playing guitar and trading bushels sure does sound appealing at the moment!!!

I do have a friend who can be care taker while I'm away at a price ...once you add this in is stock worth it?

Ant...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts