The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at buying a 8370RX and can only go that big because of need for the IVT. We have been told that they will have less power than our current 8360r with IVT due to the four tracks. Can someone please confirm that is correct. And we can’t go to a bigger tractor due to needing the zero brake on the IVT because the operator is a quadriplegic. Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
The loss of power could come from the flexing of the belts. Take a lot of energy to bend the tracks constantly all day. Similar to pushing a car with a flat tire. Great to hear you have a physically challenged guy to drive for you. Must really make their day being able to help. My dad was a stroke victim and lost the use of one side but could still run a combine and smile all day doing it.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The loss would be negligible at field speed. In fact it will likely be less if it’s high draft because slippage will be less with tracks. Where the parasitic loss adds up is at high speed. Roading or fast field operations 14mph+

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The loss of power could come from the flexing of the belts. Take a lot of energy to bend the tracks constantly all day. Similar to pushing a car with a flat tire. Great to hear you have a physically challenged guy to drive for you. Must really make their day being able to help. My dad was a stroke victim and lost the use of one side but could still run a combine and smile all day doing it.
The guy is actually the owners son. He does all of the tillage, post emerge spraying with our 4930 and runs the combine S770 with pro drive. He has a pickup that has a lift that puts him in the buddy seat and we transfer him over.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The guy is actually the owners son. He does all of the tillage, post emerge spraying with our 4930 and runs the combine S770 with pro drive. He has a pickup that has a lift that puts him in the buddy seat and we transfer him over.
I know of a bloke in the same situation, paraplegic and operates a lot of the large family farms gear. But anything he drives has full mine spec fire suppression fitted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts