The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like approximate settings for cutting soybeans with a 7720. Such as cylinder speed concave settings and whatever else you think I might need. the combine in now set for cutting wheat. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm in the same situation. First time growing soybeans and going to use my 8820.

My un-educated guess is

Cylinder ~ 350-400
Concave ~ 30 turns down from tight
Chaffer ~Air Foil
Sieve ~ 3/4 inch
Cleaning Fan ~ 850 - 1050

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
You have a concave that moves 30 turns??? Or you're joking that you think you need it tight-tight? Too tight will split your beans pretty bad. I'd try about 6 or 8 open and go from there. Speed your cylinder up a little if you're not completely thrashing, as a first adjustment, then close your concave toward 4 ish if you're still not thrashing at cylinder 600 RPM.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You have a concave that moves 30 turns??? Or you're joking that you think you need it tight-tight? Too tight will split your beans pretty bad. I'd try about 6 or 8 open and go from there. Speed your cylinder up a little if you're not completely thrashing, as a first adjustment, then close your concave toward 4 ish if you're still not thrashing at cylinder 600 RPM.
34 turns tight to wide open.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Huh! I've got a "tiny" combine, so I guess a tiny concave. I have a 4420, tight to wide open must be 20 or 24 maybe? I forget exactly....But anyway, your post still doesn't make sense. "30 turns DOWN from tight". Do you mean 30 turns down from wide open, or 30 turns UP from tight? Or am I the one who visualizes concave movement upside down?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Huh! I've got a "tiny" combine, so I guess a tiny concave. I have a 4420, tight to wide open must be 20 or 24 maybe? I forget exactly....But anyway, your post still doesn't make sense. "30 turns DOWN from tight". Do you mean 30 turns down from wide open, or 30 turns UP from tight? Or am I the one who visualizes concave movement upside down?
Tight would be up and 30 turns down would mean your opening the concave opening with my way of thinking and visualizing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tight would be up with zero clearance and 30 turns down would mean your opening the concave clearance with my way of thinking and visualizing.
That's better

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Like I said, an un educated guess. LOL. I have been searching the forum for bean settings yesterday and today, for the older JD's and yes, 5 to 6 turns open would be a better starting point. I am not sure why I have so many turns from tight to wide open on the concave. I will have to check teeth on chain drive under cab and see if the previous owner put in different sprockets or what. Either way, new to this soybean experience, will have to try it for several years. Would have went the first 200 feet and dropped straw, would have caught the not threshing at all in the dropped straw.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the confusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts