The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story. Our 9680 Ford tractor had a leak in the rad. Took it out and took it to a repair shop, he said by the time he fixes it with a re-core, will be around $3000. Told me to look around and see what a new one would cost, searched around and a new one is around $6500, or a re-core for about $4000. Thought wow, that sucks. Looked online and found one at a store in the States called Allstate Ag Parts, I believe it was, and their price is about $1800 USD, oc around $2300 CAN. Only downside is they don't ship directly to Canada so they said if I could line up a broker to get it into Canada, they could get their shipper to get it to the boarder and they could work it out. Seemed confusing to me, so am going to call him back again tomorrow and see what he means again. I can get it shipped to a guy that does brokering just south of the boarder by Dunseith and I could pick it up there, only problem is my passport has expired. I phoned Purolator and UPS, but they were not very helpful, I kind of thought this was up their alley, but I guess not. How do you guys that get stuff across the boarder all the time go about doing so? Has anyone here dealt with Allstate Ag? And why the he!! is there such a price difference between the two countries for parts? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get it shipped to Dunseith and pick it up you can cross with an expired pass port as long as you have another ID

·
Registered
763 Posts
Definitely that is up to UPS and Purolator.
They ship every day across the border.
Their charges are quite expensive though.
One guy I know had a shipping address at some warehouse in Minot.
A pallet spot so to say.
He used to drive down to Minot and bring the stuff across the border himself.
Years ago when I remember the dealership I was working at they used Percy H Davis or something close to that name as the broker to bring parts across the border.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your in central Manitoba so Emerson would be a million mile away. There are various parcel pickup places just over the boarder,pembina boarder crossing is tougher to cross as there is not much help from them to fill in the paperwork. Crossing in Tolstoi is far easier. My wife goes for parts when I buy from the states. Bernstrom oil in Lancaster is great for shipping parts too. Fork lift service too for bigger stuff. The boarder control guy assist in getting the nessessary forms fill out also.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, what ICE has said. As far as driving across, I have crossed with an expired passport maybe 10 times over a 2 year period. Finally got it renewed about 6 months ago. They were getting a little snarky at the end. Pretty rare for them to refuse entrance into their country. After all, you are spending money there. When you return with your goods, there is a large book that will have codes to describe what you are importing. Enter the code that best fits your item which will be under an ag heading or ag tractor heading or something close to that. The code determines what duty you will pay, which in this case will be 0 anyway but you have to have the code entered. At Coutts there are several computers for your convenience to use. Don't be intimidated, and don't try to rush. Take your time and frequently they might help you. But not always. Your importation code will be your GST number. You do not have to use a broker. You're perfectly legal to do it yourself. If you've grown hemp and had a hempseed sample in your truck in the last month or so, do yourself a favor and vacuum the cab. Those dogs on US side have a keen sense of smell. You never know what pos the border guard might have just dealt with. Only answer what you are asked and it should be a very enjoyable experience. And rewarding, it sounds like.

John

·
Registered
746 Posts
As said you should have no problem getting across border with expired passport. Just get it sent to a parcel pickup place that has a forklift and I would imagine they would do for $25 or less. Then you just need your business/GST number and some patience and you can import yourself at the border crossing. We do this all the time at Pembina. My son brought home a pallet of LED lights for our barn recently.....can be frustrating doing the paperwork but not really that hard.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I had a company come down and do some prototype parts on my farm a couple years ago and they left everything here.
Confused and asked when they wanted them back, few thousand dollars worth of parts, wasn't a finished product but only a small portion changed and the rest wss still relevant and they told me it wasn't worth trying to get them back across the boarder. Saying it's easy to to bring stuff here but a nightmare to go back with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts