The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago there was a lot of talk about this high yielding general purpose wheat. I am wondering how everyone made out with this
Wheat this year as far as Yield and disease issues. Also if you got it off in good quality how is it going marketing it are you able to get a milling price for it or are you selling it at a discount to hrsw

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Grew it this past yr, had excellent results. Yield was just under 70, graded a no.2, 66 lbs, and 13.3 pro. The protein really surprised me, was told anything 12 was considered high. Had a lot of straw to contend with, so heavy harrowed it all.
Only draw back is it a late variety. Don't plan in seeding it end if May and getting it off in good shape. Mine stayed this dark lush green along time. It was seeded on May 12 and will seed it early this coming yr.
There's opportunity to sell it as milling, just have to find the right buyer. Best is to get a broker as they have more connections. Line companies will not likely but it for milling. You can't tell the difference between Pasteur and any red wht.
All and all it's a very good variety, I grow durum also so it has compete with that for a good return, this yr doesn't count. Lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
We grew it last yr and won't grow it again. Granted we seeded late but it stayed green forever and even though we desiccated it it was extremely hard to put through the combines straight cut or swathed. As far as yield it was mid 70's and 13 pro. This yr we seeded prosper Hrsw and beat it yield wise and protein and combined at a normal time If you consider growing it seed it first and beware it goes down if u fertilize too hard but u have to to get any yield

·
Registered
368 Posts
From what I have seen on the buying side, Pasteur is buy far the most disease free variety over all. I can't think of a sample that has been severely downgraded for any issue like FUS DMG or MIL. Almost all has been graded 1 CWGP, some going into 2's. Converting it over to milling wheat it was equal to 2 and 3 CWRS. Only issue is not consistant proteins. Mostly quite low, with highs only in the 13's.
I can't comment on the agronomics of the variety, and marketing may be spotty depending on where you are located. Some places are buying it on a milling program, others as CGWP only.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The yield was probably comparable to my durum, it was seeded June 5th? Finished combined between October 30th and Nov 1. Had more than 1 hard frost while it was green, it was green till October I think. I did not spray fungicide, and visually it looks excellent, waiting to get some results from SGS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Grew 400 acres this year, needs to be planted early, its a good 10-14 days later then Glenn wheat. Yeild, 85 bu/ac but low protein, 10.5. Sold it all to local feed mill. Vomi was a little high but still within the feed mills specs. Elevators really want nothing to do with it. But will still grow some next year just to spread out harvest a little.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Very dry this last year for us, but it still grew well and above hrsw yeid, protein was 16 and sold as normal wheat, mill was told.. It's best advantage was the way it stood up for harvest with all the rain we had, where go went down... I combined it right after doing go the same way it was seeded

Will grow again

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have grown it two years now. I found it to stand up very good for me. Yields were about 10bu more than spring wheat, but proteins 1.5% lower. US markets take it as regular HRS so pricing is good that way but protein premiums/ discounts were very steep in the US this year so economically, my spring wheat was better right now. Pasteur is a late maturing variety similar or even longer than durum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.