The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be the the first year harvesting peas here.

Is it possible to just leave the crop ripen on its own and then straight cut when it reaches the proper moisture level, or is it necessary to desiccate first?

I don't have a high clearance sprayer, and am debating between swathing and straight cutting.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Start combing at 17 percent moisture and a few green plants, so you can finish harvesting before they are to dry

If you have a air bin you can dry them, elevators like them on the tougher side to prevent cracking

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
We will spray a field if there is some green weeds, we always use our draper heads, never swath. If the field is being used for seed we would spray with Reglone otherwise just glyphosate. Some years we can do 85% of the field without spraying and then just wait a week for the last bit to ripen.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have sprayed and straight cut and also swathed peas. If your swathing them make sure the vines are ripe because if they are not they will not dry out if they get a rain on them. I always combine them dry as I don't have enough air bins but keep a eye on them as they will crust over even if they are dry. Just rake the tops of the bins a couple months after they been in there and keep checking them. When I swath them its about a week or so before you can straight cut them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The trouble with swathing is the big puffy windrow with no stubble to keep it in place, that would keep me up at night if there was a big wind. Peas are super easy to straight cut, we always use a flex head, but have used a ridged header with no issues.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would spray them unless you can go to a vending machine and pop out weeks of good weather. It isn't necessarily the peas that are the problem, but drying down the weeds such as the thistle. If your fields are dirty, use glyphosate. If there fairly clean, reglone at a minimum 10gpa dries them down quickly. Applying headline for a fungicide is also supposed to keep them standing, but from what I've experienced, I wouldn't apply it only based on keeping them from laying flat.

When peas are standing well and yielding well, there is no harvesting that is more enjoyable and you should savour these days. Other times, you should just bang your head against the wall. Flex headers work the best as you just put them on the ground. If your crop is laying flat, you should put on lifters. Of the ones I've tried, the dutch half moons work the best, but remember you'll be picking rocks as well. If your running 2 or more combines, put the lifters if needed on the poorest combine.

Peas have a narrow window of harvesting during the day. The hotter and a bit of wind the better. Head to the field around 10:30 and take it slow for the first few hours. You can speed up as the day goes on. You can usually cut until 7:00pm at night. I have cut until 10:00pm one night under ideal conditions with a strong wind, but anything after about 7 is running on borrowed time.

Listen very carefully to the following statement.

WHEN IT STOPS DIVIDING, STOP IMMEDIATELY!!! Don't make a few more rounds or try to finishing filling the truck UNLESS you want to have a swear-ridden night digging out a combine. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
WHEN IT STOPS DIVIDING, STOP IMMEDIATELY!!! Don't make a few more rounds or try to finishing filling the truck UNLESS you want to have a swear-ridden night digging out a combine. Been there, done that.

I will second this comment and say that is a golden rule with peas. If it starts pushing on the knife shut it down!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The one time I tried to use lifters they just acted like a pitchfork. They were dutch style lifters about 1 foot apart. What was I doing wrong, how do you make them work? I didn't have a pick up reel. Now we use a draper header with the pea auger and it works great.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would spray them unless you can go to a vending machine and pop out weeks of good weather. It isn't necessarily the peas that are the problem, but drying down the weeds such as the thistle. If your fields are dirty, use glyphosate. If there fairly clean, reglone at a minimum 10gpa dries them down quickly. Applying headline for a fungicide is also supposed to keep them standing, but from what I've experienced, I wouldn't apply it only based on keeping them from laying flat.

When peas are standing well and yielding well, there is no harvesting that is more enjoyable and you should savour these days. Other times, you should just bang your head against the wall. Flex headers work the best as you just put them on the ground. If your crop is laying flat, you should put on lifters. Of the ones I've tried, the dutch half moons work the best, but remember you'll be picking rocks as well. If your running 2 or more combines, put the lifters if needed on the poorest combine.

Peas have a narrow window of harvesting during the day. The hotter and a bit of wind the better. Head to the field around 10:30 and take it slow for the first few hours. You can speed up as the day goes on. You can usually cut until 7:00pm at night. I have cut until 10:00pm one night under ideal conditions with a strong wind, but anything after about 7 is running on borrowed time.

Listen very carefully to the following statement.

X2 When its time to quit you will know it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Are the rules different up north different than here in the states as far as desiccating grain aimed for human consumption? Pulse USA will reject any grain that tests positive for glyphosate. Only thing we are allowed to use for dessicant is gramoxone and I absolutely hate using it. I really hope mine mature on their own....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Are the rules different up north different than here in the states as far as desiccating grain aimed for human consumption? Pulse USA will reject any grain that tests positive for glyphosate. Only thing we are allowed to use for dessicant is gramoxone and I absolutely hate using it. I really hope mine mature on their own....
glyphosate is fine to desicate with up here, this was a new change last fall I believe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.