The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did everyone grow this year?
Been growing Ardills for two years really happy with them. Yield is real good they stand not bad. Just wondering what other varieties are looking like?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had Safrons and Inca. The yield was about the same the inca stood taller which meant slower harvest as they were bulky but with wet ground you could roll the header back and had less pushing mole hills.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve grown Safrons also, good peas just too big. Too much down time filling due to higher seeding rates. They should be paying a premium for a bigger pea for the extra downtime.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have seen germ tests from several varieties this year they are all incredibly huge, like over 4 bu / ac big.... I guess seed size is where some of the yield came from but yikes that's gonna make seeding tough. so mostly environmental.

the standability is what I really like about the Ardill. its funny, seems like they have moved backwards over the years all the newer varieties seem to have issues with seed breakage.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen germ tests from several varieties this year they are all incredibly huge, like over 4 bu / ac big.... I guess seed size is where some of the yield came from but yikes that's gonna make seeding tough. so mostly environmental.

the standability is what I really like about the Ardill. its funny, seems like they have moved backwards over the years all the newer varieties seem to have issues with seed breakage.
Have to combine them at 17 not to damage them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Grew LN4228 and cdc meadows

LN 4228 yieled 1.9 bpa
Meadows 5 bpa.

Both were so flat on the ground the Lady bugs could see over top of them while walking on the ground. lol These are crop insurance no. Still cant get in these fields due to wetness of ground.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Carvers here too. They just stand so nice compared to Meadow or Agassiz. Ours yielded 82 this year and still didn’t lay down much.

I just hope Roquette will put Carvers on their accepted variety list for next years contracts.

Lots of 8 and 9 seed pods this year. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Huh, wonder why Ardill not on AB list?
I know a local seed grower had some.
especially weird considering they were bred at Lacombe!

better resistance rating to fusarium root rot is why I started with them. roots seem to stay in a little better shape than others. I think that helps with the standability too

·
Registered
93 Posts
We had CDC Inca and Dakota Dun Peas.
We have been growing the Dakota Dun peas for quite a few years. Had some Lacombe peas a few years back. Prefer the Inca over Lacombe for yellow peas. Really impressed with the Dakota Dun peas as they stand up really good and are one of the highest yielding pea varieties. Also Dun peas usually a price premium over yellow peas.

·
Registered
515 Posts
especially weird considering they were bred at Lacombe!

better resistance rating to fusarium root rot is why I started with them. roots seem to stay in a little better shape than others. I think that helps with the standability too
Where do you find the ratings for fusarium root rot? I saw fusarium wilt but never root rot in my reading.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have minimal knowledge on pea varieties but grew Amarillo. Seed coat breakage is an issue I guess if you are growing edibles but mine are for pigs locally here so not an issue. They sure stood well and did 60+ bu. Seed coat was cracked on a lot when I got seed but I treated them with vitaflo and the germ seemed fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts