The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried something like Barley and Peas or any cereal and peas? We have been growing peas and barley for our silage mixture for a couple years now, it seems to work good. We didn't need it for silage and ended up combining a bit, there was only maybe 10% peas. I think I could up the amount of peas by seeding the peas heavier and the barley lighter. Anyways canola still pencils out for us, its the 4 to5 dollar wheat that doesn't. Looking for something to replace the cereal. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
How did the barley yield compared to a monocrop? Barley would be quite competitive for the peas. How did maturity line up for you?

Cereals are tough usually to put with peas, but I would think barley threshes easy enough that you won't destroy the peas in the combine.

In my area, I think I need to work off of regular seeding rates and then do a percentage for the intercrop. Wetter areas can get away with higher rates. Last year I did 2/3 rate peas, 2/3 rate mustard and the mustard was too competitive. This year I did 1/2 rates of each and it worked out much better. Got hail on it, but was impressed with how it stayed standing after all the weather on it.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
barley, oats and peas all mixed together has been a popular combination for a century on dairy farms.

Maybe not so much in the last 10-20 years.

We grew peas and barley together this year, the weather was poor for the grain so how it turned out is hard to say. We were going for peas, we got a fair bit, but not we should have gotten.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Neil Burg
Second time that I tried growing peas & it was a total bust again because of excess moisture.:mad:

My Ranger barley/4010 pea field about 1 week after seeding.

& a couple of weeks later.

Next year I'm thinking about trying a rice/cattail mixture for silage.;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did the barley yield compared to a monocrop? Barley would be quite competitive for the peas. How did maturity line up for you?

Cereals are tough usually to put with peas, but I would think barley threshes easy enough that you won't destroy the peas in the combine.

In my area, I think I need to work off of regular seeding rates and then do a percentage for the intercrop. Wetter areas can get away with higher rates. Last year I did 2/3 rate peas, 2/3 rate mustard and the mustard was too competitive. This year I did 1/2 rates of each and it worked out much better. Got hail on it, but was impressed with how it stayed standing after all the weather on it.
Our barley pea mix only did about 50 bpa, I am not sure what the barley yielded in our area this year. Very good yields in our area so I am thinking probably double that! However I was going for a silage crop, If I was trying for grain I would do things a little different. I just had a few peas left over so I just threw them in with the barley this spring. I also threw all the extra fertilizer we had with it causing it to lodge real bad! I usually have a real
interesting cocktail going for silage! Its amazing how few weeds show up when you have barley, oats, wheat, peas and canola together.

Sorry to hear that Mcatshf, I hope you have better luck next year!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I assume that u cannot spray anything on your inter crop for weed control only something for cereals? What fields are u growing this on? What kind of mustard? Do you desiccate it ? Do you fungicide it? This is interesting to me, was thinking of try peas with a Clearfield canola mixture so that I could still have weed control.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
Can use Edge preseed with it. Centurion or Assure for cereals. Authority is not registered on yellow mustard. Hint hint.

I do not desiccate it, but it would speed up harvest. Haven't tried fungicide but haven't seen the need -the mustard keeps the pea stems off the ground and seems to limit disease. Those big mustard leaves also get in the way of hard rain to reduce soil splash too.

I usually grow it on cereal stubble.

Clearfield canola will work, but try to find a short season canola and long season peas like Maples to try to match up maturities closer.

Regarding peas and barley, I suppose that mcpa would be a possible in crop option.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
I have Pillar openers (sideband with fertilizer an inch lower). So I put the peas down the disc and mustard out the hoe. Have 3 tanks so that works out well. May actually try to go to broadcasting mustard before the drill. On 10 inch spacing and catch a little shower and it would be away. Also not as much competition between the plants early off because they wouldn't be in the same row.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.