The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked with a guy who had a good goof up last year. He had lots of volunteer mustard in his peas. Let it all grow out and did great. Harvested it, then ran through a screen separating the peas and mustard. Said he made $90/acre on the mustard. Peas climbed the mustard and did great. Had 6" stubble after cutting it. This year he decided to try it again but on purpose. Put down 100lbs of urea with 5lbs of mustard then seeded peas through it. Every thing is coming along great.

Anyone else hear of trying this or has done it?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Would that not be an ugly sample coming into the combine? Could you get everthing to sep off with out losing one or the other?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I had grown chickpeas last year and was hailed out 100 percent... Took three weeks and I had the chickpeas comming back with volunteer brown mustard in it from two years before.... Ended up cleaning our 15bu ac of mustard out of a 13 bu chickpea crop...

·
Registered
51 Posts
This will be the third year I am doing it on purpose. The following is where my process has evolved to with the equipment I have. I seed yellow mustard and peas together seeding rates are about 3/4 rate for the peas and 1/2 rate or a little better for the mustard. I seed them at the same time about 1" in depth. I postpone my Nitrogen application for a few weeks until the peas start to nodule and broadcast a urea treated with agrotain and sulfer blend. I apply about 40lbs of actual N if not the mustard doesn't do so well. Try to get a later maturing pea variety to match up with the mustard. For separation I use a 572 kwik kleen with the discharge auger removed and a 6" or 7" auger to take the mustard away. The separating setup will keep an 8" auger pretty much full of peas.

·
Ken Adams
1,362 Posts
Have never grown mustard - just watched neighbors. The biggest "trick" to this I think might be to get mustard to mature just before peas. Or am I wrong, because the mustard will wait for peas but peas will not wait for mustard to mature.

rpm147 - do you separate them right at harvest or do you bin them together and separate at later time?
- at about what height are you able to cut this combo at
-any harvesting issues?
-are you able to harvest when mustard is dry?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have thought about doing this for years but I would like to try clearfield canola and peas. I am very interested in this. Trick would be getting the maturity the same. Both would thrash easy and the peas should be easy to get as they would climb up the canola. Any kind of small cleaner should be able to separate them out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have done peas and clearfield canola. Need an early canola to match as peas were ready first and shelled some. BY5535 is a canola to consider. Seeded together at 1 in deep. Good emergence from both the canola and the peas but in a dry spring the peas might have trouble emerging seeded so shallow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.