The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did any of the pre buy guys get their canola seed? Or did the pre bought canola seed not even get delivered to the dealer? You would think that if the owner was having financial difficulties that the suppliers wouldn’t supply him with product. This couldn’t of happened overnight.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ummm...vaguely put PAG

But aren't they broke?

What a horrible situation. There were about 10 of us here in AB / SK that were going to sue a broker a few years ago. Took in loads of barley to pay for previously loads of barley and eventually just declared bankruptcy. Some of us were out 2 up to 15 btrains of barley - delivered but not paid for. While we certainly could sue - and it was going to be very expensive, you can't get blood from a stone. Couldn't personally sue the dude either even though he owned major property in BC. In the end no one got anything. Lawyers fees on top of it all wouldn't help anyone but the lawyers.

But if PAG still has lots of money somewhere......

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Unfortunately there seems to be laws set up to protect people/businesses that do this. The owners won't be out a cent of their personal wealth and will still have a house to go home to, but the poor guys who pre-bought could lose everything. I really feel for you guys who are out your money, it really stings. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would be furious if it happened to me. It is one thing to go bankrupt, but to know so and be taking peoples money knowing full well you were stealing it, should be lynched by sunset.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ummm...vaguely put PAG

But aren't they broke?

What a horrible situation. There were about 10 of us here in AB / SK that were going to sue a broker a few years ago. Took in loads of barley to pay for previously loads of barley and eventually just declared bankruptcy. Some of us were out 2 up to 15 btrains of barley - delivered but not paid for. While we certainly could sue - and it was going to be very expensive, you can't get blood from a stone. Couldn't personally sue the dude either even though he owned major property in BC. In the end no one got anything. Lawyers fees on top of it all wouldn't help anyone but the lawyers.

But if PAG still has lots of money somewhere......
You have to sue for fraud, not breach of contract or negligence. This is so you can obtain a judgement that will survive bankruptcy.
In a case involving a corporation, you sue the individual/s. You then seek a declaration that the corporate veil is pierced, which would make the judgement valid against the individual for the loss claimed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well,,some news, the owner Harold phoned me yesterday,said he's working" on still selling the assest to pay back us farmers" that trusted him with our prepay.....he said" he could declare bankruptcy but didn't want to do that" ..he wanted to sell and pay us back..he also told me" to go and buy more fert for this year"...What a kick in the teeth !!!!
Just what i was told.....and we wait. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WTF

·
Registered
312 Posts
These deals never end well. Scares a person when we trust those we deal with when things go to ****. This deal reminds me of a local cattle feeder coop that went down cause of a certain individual who was given too much control and everyone turned a blind eye to the incompetence and fraud that was going on. When it shook out a lot of people were out lots and the guy got off with nothing. It broke a few guys and put some on the edge.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well,,some news, the owner Harold phoned me yesterday,said he's working" on still selling the assest to pay back us farmers" that trusted him with our prepay.....he said" he could declare bankruptcy but didn't want to do that" ..he wanted to sell and pay us back..he also told me" to go and buy more fert for this year"...What a kick in the teeth !!!!
Just what i was told.....and we wait. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WTF
Sounds like hes buying time...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Common knowledge but for anybody following here, FCC has forced them into bankruptcy. Still some shells that Harold Zibell operates that are functional (supposedly). No word on money or assets. Bowra Group is handling it. Everybody wanting to submit a claim needs to contact Kristin or Devron there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Basically this guy will get away with stealing over 3 million I'm told. I know a few people that got burnt and it makes me sick. Small to medium sized operations and got took for 40000 plus, few 100000 or more. The fact that suppliers knew something was up and didn't say anything about it pisses me off, they let the little guy take the fall for them. And where the heck is FCC in all of this when they let inputs be sold to farmers accounts before the date on the contract and now holds them libel to pay? This whole episode just gives me the red arse and I didn't even get burnt myself.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sometimes you have to figure where the dude lives , and knock on the door at two am .
Do this several time a month , they tend to get nervous ��.
Sometimes they start paying bills

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yikes! I would say there was some criminal activity going on there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a letter from the RCMP at Evansburg and Leduc saying they could not find evidence of criminal activity as Harold was trying to sell the business to a legitimate buyer.

Here are all the bankruptcy documents:
https://insolvencyinsider.ca/filing/performance-ag-group/
They were losing money already back in 2016 based on the applications for bankruptcy.

I’ve also heard rumour that the former sales manager Mike Mueller is working in purchasing at Southland Coop near Saskatoon. Not sure how much truth there is to that though, I couldn’t find any solid evidence of that hearsay.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts