The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I haven't quite cleaned up all the "little green sprawling weeds" on the lease places yet~~

A neighbor was supposed to help me cut wheat, but due to engine trouble he was not able to make it. After a few days later I was able to find a combine to lease from another neighbor. The 9860 is probably not what you all would consider the best wheat machine (I've often heard engine is too large compared to the rest of the machine), but it was a pleasure to run.
My 9600 hung right in there, and did great too.

The 9860 had a 936D, and I love the draper head. Smooth, even, and efficient. I would really like to have a draper head for my 9600.

Overall, our wheat averaged in the mid teens, with one field (half section) averaging about 23. Typically, these yields are nothing to write home about, but I feel blessed to get out with it. Winter 2008 was brutually dry, and we also had significant freeze damage.

The pic below is of my daughter and me. We are in the grain tank "for a closer look". LOL

One more:
Sometimes I thought that cart never WOULD fill up !!!

Here's hoping that our next wheat crop will be much better...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Our dryland was about the same. There was one corner that I think made about 30, but that was a fluke. A farmer in the area rented a 9760 to cut something like 2500 acres of dryland; they got it done in just over a week and put 78 hours on the combine. But hey, at least there was something to cut. How's your milo looking?

I noticed the tractor, too. 8410, I presume? Looks like a good one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the replies.
Yeah, I ~finally~ found a JD 8410 with low hrs.
This one had about 2900 hrs when I bought it. 8410's are hard enough to find, particularly with low hrs.

The milo, while young, is off to a good start. The oldest milo I have is about 6-7 inches tall now. The youngest milo can be rowed good this morning....at least it's not all gonna be ready on the same day (knock on wood, hoping it doesnt require a freeze this fall to make it harvestable)
What is your milo looking like, OkPanhandle?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I looked at the one field of irrigated on Monday and it's pretty decent. It's got a few places that don't look so hot, mainly where the oil company put in a bunch of pipelines last year and the trails left by the seismic survey crews this winter. I've only been by one field of dryland recently. The rain we had the weekend before last came just at the right time. It's looking pretty rough this afternoon, but maybe we can pick up another rain Saturday. The grass is coming up really thick in it, not sure what to do about that yet. We finished harvest at 12:30 today, so I'll have time to get out and look at the rest of the milo now.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, you and I finished harvest at practically the same time, as I finished yesterday. Great feeling to be done, huh? even if the yield(s) weren't that great---it's still a great feeling to be ~done~

Pertaining to the grass in your milo, do you guys put any Dual on?
Around here, we are pretty much committed to applying Dual (gotta use the safened seed, ya know) We are putting out about 1.3 pt Dual, some Atrazine, and sometimes spike it with a thrity-eth of an oz. of Ally. What do you guys do for weed/grass control? What is it costing?
At this point, isn't your only option to cultivate? (unless it got tall enough to rope wick--haha!) Well, if you're talking Johnson grass, then rope wicking would be the thing to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've been using duel for two years now and that stuff is awesome!! That and a little ally and you have a good combo.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Ryno, it is good stuff. I have been using it for about 6 years now...
if moisture is very marginal, and I really dont think the milo has much of a chance of making it, I will use Dual and Ally instead of Dual and Atrazine.
If things look good, I really prefer the Atrazine over the Ally, as it will get some [weed] escapes that nothing else will.

BTW: my seed rep. said that safened seed will soon be the only kind of seed that they will handle. If you dont need it to be safened...well, "too bad" they will say....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't remember what was sprayed on that field (Dad handles all the spraying while I run the planter). He nailed the first flush of sandbur and burned back the bindweed right before I planted it, but then everything just sat there until we got a rain. I'm pretty sure he hit it with some G-Max Lite a couple of weeks ago, but the way this field is a new flush of weeds will come up every time it rains. The grass is still pretty small, but the milo is now too tall to spray.

I would cultivate it right now if we had a good cultivator (I've already returned the neighbor's Orthman and don't feel like driving the eighteen-mile round trip to get it again for a 100ac patch). I'm about to the point of tearing apart our ring packer, which is the only old toolbar we have left, slapping some sweeps on it, and getting it done. We'll see what happens next week after I finish planting sunflowers.

Your seed guy sounds like ours. It's been a long time since we've had any non-safened seed. It doesn't bother me a bit; it's nice to have the option to use things like Dual if you suddenly decide you want to. Plus, if someone wants to buy your extra seed they don't have to worry about if it's safened or not, which was the case this year.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nice pics. 8410s are a good tractors IMO. Is it a little doggy on the grain cart? A customer of mine has exactly that cart and it makes his 9620T snort hard with a full load.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks G'Tech.
Hey, I'm surely not gonna sit here and say that the 8410 mfwd "plays" with the Kinze 1040 cart, but it does do ok. This wheat harvest, there were times that I did not even have a driver in the cart...we simply used the cart as a 'dump' until the truck got back. Sometimes (this wht. harvest) it was taking 45 min. to get a bin full, so I couldn't justify having a driver in the cart just sitting there (with the engine idling all day).

I wish my 4wd had PTO...but the 8410 does ok on the cart. We do take it easy (and our land is flat); however, 'cuz I generally have to go back to planting milo after harvest, and can't risk tearing up the tractor!

So far, the 8410 is everything I'd hoped it would be. It is more nimble than my 4960 mfwd was, and it certainly has more power. I just wish I could have found it sooner..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts