The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on running a John Deere 914 pick-up header on my 2366,but now I became aware that the auger on the John Deere header runs 30% faster than the one on the Case 1015 header I previously used.What effect would this have on the feeding of the grain into the header elevator and would it be wise to slow down the auger to the same speed as the one on my Case header.Last year we experienced blockages between the auger and the elevator,could this be because the auger was running too fast?I really would appreciate your guys input in this matter

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Do you have the owners manual for the 2366? If so, it will show the proper feeder chain adjustment and the proper header plate angle adjustment for best feeding between the auger and elevator chain. I have witnessed folks in the past not knowing the proper tension adjustment of the feeder chain, run it too tight which will cause bunch feeding. Also setting the drum stops for stone retarding wrong will cause feeding problems from the header to the feeder.

If you can slow the auger down on the header, it may help with any header grain losses. If the auger is spinning too fast, the disappearing fingers will "bat" the grain kernals forward. Other than that, if the proper header adjustments are made as far as auger stippers, auger placement, and finger cam adjusments, the speed really dont play that big of a role in feeding. (within reason anyway)

So, outta curiosity, how do you like JD belt set up over the IH you ran?? I have a 1015 and really dont like the belt frame setup. Not only is it flimsy built, it is far too short between rollers to get the crop row stabilized to feed into the auger better. I've allways wanted a JD belt setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer the JD pick-up header by far.As you said the Case is much to flimsy and the JD feeds the auger much better.We swath all of our crop (wheat,barley.canola.oats and lupins) and the JD does much better in low yielding seasons when the crop tends to go and lie in the stubble on the ground rather than on top of it.Our terrain is very steep and rocky and we had alot of problems with breakdowns on the 1015 header

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:I prefer the JD pick-up header by far.As you said the Case is much to flimsy and the JD feeds the auger much better.We swath all of our crop (wheat,barley.canola.oats and lupins) and the JD does much better in low yielding seasons when the crop tends to go and lie in the stubble on the ground rather than on top of it.Our terrain is very steep and rocky and we had alot of problems with breakdowns on the 1015 header

Thanks for the info. I may have to look a little harder at a JD. Do you run a one piece belt or the multiple belts on your JD? I run a one piece that has twice the teeth in the middle of the belt just the reason you stated. The material falls between the rows and is a bear to pickup. I have'nt put a grain head on our combine now for years. The pickup head jsut stays on.

A lot of the time in lesser yield years, we end up running at fairly high speed, like 5mph and the IH 1015 just breaks apart. I want to put together a wide head with 2 pickups on it and take 2 rows at a time to slow my ground speed down. However, in the wet or high yiled stuff I'd have to take both heads with me, which I guess I could do just trailer the wide one.

Are rake ups very popular in your area?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts