The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If, after replacing all the pickup belts on your pickup, you find that the belts will no longer turn... check that you didn't bump into the *%$# shut-off valve at the back of the pickup before you start tearing things apart again.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
If, after replacing all the pickup belts on your pickup, you find that the belts will no longer turn... check that you didn't bump into the *%$# shut-off valve at the back of the pickup before you start tearing things apart again.
You got to put you're wonderful sense of humor to use on yourself I guess.:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Did the tearing apart go quicker the 2nd time around??;)
I try to incorporate a little of your humour too when I work. Not always easy to be patient.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a while to figure it out, and to complicate the process the previous owner had welded new sheet metal into the bottom of the pickup and managed to get the padded bar behind the fingers closer to the roller. There is no real adjustment for this so I had to take the bolts out of the ends, roll it down and back with a big mutha pipe wrench on each end and a comealong with a special made hook in the center and drill new holes to hold it. After I was all done getting the clearance similar to a 212 I had handy, it still wouldn't run. Measured the aftermarket pickup fingers (actually 14" shorter than the JD's) , cursed the too stiff Chinese plastic in them but it still seemed like there wasn't enough oomph getting to the pa. Dah.... shutoff valve. Good news I finally got 800 bushels of canola in the bin between rains but it's raining/sleeting with frost in the forecast as I type.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yea... and if anyone thinks you should be able to unpin the belt assembly at the bottom of the pickup and move it ahead a hole, that padded bar assembly is also bolted to it under the mud at the ends of your pickup, and will break your Chinese jack before the square bars slide ahead if you don't unbolt it. Moving it ahead really isn't a good option.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope it pays better than feed wheat, since it's starting to look like my HRSW might all be graded down there this year. Funny what 3 weeks of snot can do to a crop.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,883 Posts
Anti-sieze everything. Helps get your nuts loose second time round:D

Best of luck with your harvest

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol.... actually the anti-seize reminds me of another story... which might actually be graduating to 201 Don. There was a broken stud laying on the manifold beside the turbo when I went to check it. With some intrepidation I removed the rear cover from the hopper and attempted to get an easy out into the broken stud without removing the manifold. I wasn't happy with the long distance attempt at center punching it, so I put the biggest bit possible into the hole first to get it started on center. I knew it wasn't going to come easy (exhaust bolts never do) so I had to go with the biggest hole I had the nerve to drill which I think was 5/16. Lucky for me that easyout had a 3/8 square drive ( gotta get me a set of those SnapOn square drive sockets... why the **** don't they may easyouts and taps with hex tops?) so I was able to put a socket extension on backwards and twist with the vice grips. As predicted it was stubborn as **** and wouldn't budge, so I quit when I figured I was at the verge of breaking the easyout... which would not have been pretty with a chunk of hard tool steel stuck in there. Plan B was to thread the hole (again I was lucky enough that I had a tap the right size with a 1/4 " drive so I was able to use a small socket extension this time) and put a size smaller bolt in. I've only got to run the combine about 5 hrs this year, but so far it's holding, and yes, I coated it with anti-sieze for the day it has to be removed. As long as it holds, it can wait for the day I have to take the head off and send it to a machine shop for proper removal.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A neighbour gal had the reel stop on her JD 9400. After I looked for cam problems for a while someone noticed that the shut-off valve on the back of the header was half closed. 2 feet of rope fixed it.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,883 Posts
Whtbaron, regarding that broken stud, if you can get the oxy torch in there, heat the **** out of the stud so it gets nice and toasty red. the end will get hot quick, just take the torch on and off for a while to allow the heat to transfer down the stud. then chill it with water. It should screw out no worries then.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea... the operative word being "should". I was working with the manifold on which puts you about 2" away from the broken culprit so nothing is easy. The concern I had was what happens if the heat transfer weakens the easy out, makes it brittle and it breaks? That suddenly becomes a very expensive problem. If it was anywhere else I'd say a smaller bolt will never last where a bigger one has already broken, but with the manifold is was probably just heat and vibration. Thinking back, the real mistake was not getting a Grade 8 ( might yet) in case it does break. They snap clean and are a lot easier to remove.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next lesson... apparently the fingers on the John Deere pickup belts have a little lock washer under the nut, but the aftermarket ones don't. I backed off the tension on my air ratchet so I wouldn't break the plastic fingers and now it looks like I didn't get them tight enough. Probably lost about 20 the first 2 days. I can see where lock washers or nyloc nuts would be a good idea... for now they'll be getting tightened and checked.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You are having a rough time so far, just think, after this it'll go smooth for the rest of the season. Good luck with the rest of harvest, it'll clear up soon and we will all get a beautiful Indian summer. We haven't done more then samples so far combining and it's still too wet and green, I'm fine tuning the combines so they will run perfect this year :cool:.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah...anything you can fix for under $10k is normal wear and tear! We've actually had a pretty good run so far. Canola is all in the bin and dry, and we're working on the wheat. Started into it at 18% moisture so it'll need lots of air in this weather. So far the forecast is saying no rain till Thurs. so I'm hoping they are right for a change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts