The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Pictures of our 2 8820's sitting and at work

Hope you guys like the pictures. I hope to be getting some more of them cleaned up. I am done with the one in my signature but still have to wash the other. Maybe I can get a pic of both cleaned up with no heads.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:Nice pictures 88. How many acres can you cut in a day with one machine?

Well hogman, our day isn't that long. We aren't really big farmers so we don't push the machines that hard or start real early plus we have to move from field to field alot. And we have some downtime waiting on trucks as you can tell. So I would have to guess. On a good day starting early, trucks available all the time, no break downs, with the 25' head and no moving from field to field......... I would say somewhere around 75-100 acres with one machine. Guessing.

I'm sure it could be more if we started earlier and ran way past dark. We don't hardly ever cut the lights on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:nice, they look like you have taken good care of them.

JOJO, I wouldn't know where to begin on how the one in my sig. came to be. I have some hard pics of some before and after photos in a photo album. You wouldn't believe it. It was a total wreck. Literally. When we bought it, we knew that we were going to be doing a BUNCH of repairs. To be honest, you would probably found a machine in similar conditions in a salvage yard. But we saw it as something we could work on over time and now you see what it looks like now.

For example. It sat for 1.5 years at one of our local Deere dealerships way behind the equipment lot. A real small tornado or a strong storm with straight line winds (a few months before we bought it) destroyed the main building of the dealership and blew some debris into the windshield, shattering it. It had no drive tire under the steps and so many other minor things wrong that I could write a paperback book about it. Needless to say, pictures speak for thousands of words. You wouldn't believe it was the same machine. Maybe I can figure something out and get some before photos. But needless to say, I'm proud of the end result.

My granddad's was in real good shape as someone had actually took care of his before we got it. But both are excellent machines now and are paid for.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have a 1987 Titan II 8820 as well. I have a 920 flex header for it for peas, and a 230 straight rigid header, with batt reel for oats, Barley and wheat, and the stock 214 P/U reel for picking up canola. My 8820 also has Duals, which is rare up here. Only one I have ever seen like that. They are the factory duals too. I also have a REM chaff spreader on it. That thing works good, it really fogs the chaff around. I have just over 4000 hrs on it now. Doesnt use a drop of oil, and will be feild ready soon. Just have to go through it to get it ready for this fall. Main cylinder drive belt, chopper belt, adjust chains, etc. Also, I need to pull the air-foil sieve out of it, and check the botton sieve, as I found a small piece of sieve in the grain tank last fall.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Great combine pics guy.
I see you haven't got duals on them yet.We just finished our wheat with our 8820 and 930F.We found a slick way to bolt up the flexplates on the header.Instead of mounting it on the combine and trying to press up on the plates like the book says
we just leave the header on the trailer.The flexplates are collapsed when resting on the 4.5" tube and the bolt holes are visible so we just put the bolts in and tighten the nuts(after we've lifted the header to make sure it's clean underneath)It might be an old idea to some but it sure worked slick for us.
.We do about 9 acres per hour with our machine.I got some good harvest pics and I hope to post them when I get time and figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Washed my granddad's 88 today and took a few pics of it cleaned up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Notice the long feeder house on my granddad's? It was a rice combine at one point in time. Mine and my dad's 8820 was once a rice machine too. But at some point, someone changed the feederhouse on ours to the shorter one. But both have rice walkers in them. A major pain in the rear when shelling corn as the cobs get stuck in the holes in the walkers. Neither one had header height control installed. But both are 4wd and have the long unloading auger.

We did install the header height control option in both combines then we had to put the corn kit in both rear hoods and the Stevens Implement slow down kit for the choppers. We put a optional corn leaf screen on the outside of the rotary screen. You might be able to see it if you look close enough in my signature picture. Ours has axle spacers and my granddad's doesn't. But other than that they are similar to you other guys that have one.

Oh, and they are only 40 serial numbers apart and mine and dad's 8820 was the second combine off the assembly line with the eaton hydrostat installed according to the serial number and comparing serial number breaks at the local Deere store. They switched from sunstrand to eaton sometime in '87.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:I have a 1987 Titan II 8820 as well. I have a 920 flex header for it for peas, and a 230 straight rigid header, with batt reel for oats, Barley and wheat, and the stock 214 P/U reel for picking up canola. My 8820 also has Duals, which is rare up here. Only one I have ever seen like that. They are the factory duals too. I also have a REM chaff spreader on it. That thing works good, it really fogs the chaff around. I have just over 4000 hrs on it now. Doesnt use a drop of oil, and will be feild ready soon. Just have to go through it to get it ready for this fall. Main cylinder drive belt, chopper belt, adjust chains, etc. Also, I need to pull the air-foil sieve out of it, and check the botton sieve, as I found a small piece of sieve in the grain tank last fall.

Do you have any pictures? I would like to see the duals that you have on it because we are thinking about putting on duals on one or both. And I think that we might be putting a spreader on our(mine and dad's) 8820. You say it works well. How far does it spread? Is it a single or dual spreader?

Ours has 4140 hours and granddad's has 3768 hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I dont have any pics of it right now... I will this fall though, when we get after the harvest. I wll take some then, and post them here. Its a facotry dual kit though, so its nice. They are 18.4 - 38s. I will take pics of the chaff spreader though, so you can see. The way it works, is there is a centrifugal blower mounted up on the side of the combine, above the chopper/walker area. There is another pulley that bolts to the chopper drive pulley, and there is a belt that goes up to the blower. The hose off the blower goes down to a tray that all the chaff falls onto, and gets blown with TONS of air flow out the sides of the combine. It looks pretty neat too, cause it really spreads it out to the sides, and I have my chopper guide vanes on the back set so it spreads fairly wide. Lots of debris flying out thats for sure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:Great combine pics guy.
I see you haven't got duals on them yet.We just finished our wheat with our 8820 and 930F.We found a slick way to bolt up the flexplates on the header.Instead of mounting it on the combine and trying to press up on the plates like the book says
we just leave the header on the trailer.The flexplates are collapsed when resting on the 4.5" tube and the bolt holes are visible so we just put the bolts in and tighten the nuts(after we've lifted the header to make sure it's clean underneath)It might be an old idea to some but it sure worked slick for us.
.We do about 9 acres per hour with our machine.I got some good harvest pics and I hope to post them when I get time and figure out how to do that.

Thanks Cliff. I got both machines blowed off and washed. But I only got pics of my granddad's machine. As far as bolting up the heads, that's always an annoying thing everytime wheat harvest comes but not that big of a deal. We just get a board and lower the head down onto it mashing the flexplates up. We haven't tried it with the head on the header trailer.

As far as the picture thing, I went by this and it worked for me. I just had to join photobucket.com and upload the pics to them then just followed the instructions for here. Not hard at all. Try it out.

Here's the thread telling how to do it if you didn't see it.

http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....read=1140187182

Let's see those pics.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

8820, I was really amazed to read about such a rennovation to the combine.
This is the kind of stuff I really like to hear about and it sure stands as a testament of just what careful planning and serious restorative work can do!

Now, just for the curious as well as myself, I DO want to see at least some of the "before" pics of the neglected 8820 just for comparison.

I sure liked the cleaned up and waxed 8820 which looks as good now as any new one did 20 years ago.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Combiness. The undertaking of bringing this giant of the 80's back to life wasn't an easy task. Lots of trips to Deere and to salvage yards over the last 3 years got it back to operation quality. I will try to get the photo album put on a CD at Wal-Mart if possible. I don't think that I have the negatives anymore, plus I took the pictures with a disposable camera. So the quality isn't extremely clear, but it's o.k. Let me see what I can do. You will be amazed to see the before and after. You would say that it was two different machines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:8820, I was really amazed to read about such a rennovation to the combine.
This is the kind of stuff I really like to hear about and it sure stands as a testament of just what careful planning and serious restorative work can do!

Now, just for the curious as well as myself, I DO want to see at least some of the "before" pics of the neglected 8820 just for comparison.

I sure liked the cleaned up and waxed 8820 which looks as good now as any new one did 20 years ago.

Keep up the good work!

Well Combiness, I did some digging and found the original proofs and to my surprise I had the pictures put on a cd which was with the proofs. So I got them loaded up on the computer. Here's you some before pictures taken 3 years ago mid-August 2003.

I have some more. But I guess I will post them tomorrow. Needless to say. She was a wreck and to get her from the pictures above to what it is below today was a major undertaking. Hope you enjoy looking.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How does it ride with the duals? Do you have axle spacers? The spreader we are thinking of getting is a Vittetoe unit which runs off of the hydraulics. But we were told the dual spreaders needed more oil capacity than an 8820 could provide the hydraulic motors. So we are going to go with the large single spreader. We were going to put it on before corn harvest which will start for us probably the first or second week of September.

·
Registered
15 Posts

It rides real nice with the duals. No axle spacers on it, nope.
The REM spreader is ran by a belt off the chopper pulley, so its real simple. It REALLY blows the chaff off to the side. My buddy has an 8820, and he has the single "Chaff Storm" cahff spreader, and it works good too. It is ran off the hydraulic system, and he has no trouble with it. Doesnt spread quite as wide as mine, but it works good. I think I might put a little ramp or lip on the end of my plates that the chaff blows off of. That will, give it a little lift as it goes into the air. I bet it will spread it 30 to 40 feet like that. I wish I had a redekop fine cut chopper too, cause one of my biggest issues is trash. Its a pain trying to seed and plugging all the time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Pics of our 2 8820's sitting/working/before&af

Quote:whoa they do look very different. so basically you had to change every bearing from feeder house to chopper?

Well not quite everyone but I couldn't begin to tell you what we did. Some things were obvious, some things didn't last long, and some things surprised us all of a sudden. Some things on the larger side that we replaced--- both drive tires. The one we put on to get it home was cracked bad. It was a Goodyear which were bad about cracking in the sidewalls. Now it's got a Firestone in its place. The other side, well, I was thrashing beans that first fall we had it and the thing went flat on me and I didn't know it was going flat. It was a slow leak. I got a full bin and drove to the front of the field and unloaded. That's when I noticed that it was leaning a little bit. It broke down the sidewall driving it low with the combine loaded. When we changed it out, the guy that took it off pulled the tube out and the tube was a 24.5 X 32 instead of a 30.5 X 32. Some idiot put the wrong tube in it. Accident? On purpose? Who knows? It has an Armstrong on that side now.

Other larger items are the augers. EVERY auger has been replace except for the two cross augers in the tank. EVERYONE. Shoe, unloading, upright, upper and lower tailings, clean grain.

Another thing. The rear hood has been replaced with one from the salvage yard. The original had a hole in it that you could stick your whole arm through it on the left hand side, right before the word JOHN. You can see it in the photos. The whole top was just rotten. The one we put on was one off of an older combine. That's why the decal on it is a little different than the one on my granddad's machine. The color is just a shade lighter. So when it's cleaned up, in the sunlight, you can see the difference.

Another thing. We did not paint the combine. Only parts that were bad. Shields, fuel tank, clean grain elevator, rims, chopper tail board and whole rear where the deere sign and SMV sign are located. The rest was brought back to life with about 3 or 4 waxings. One right after the other. That was a job in itself.

Those are just some things that we have done. Still working on things to this day. It needs a feederhouse chain, augers in the tank, chains in both elevators. To name a few things still in the works.

·
Registered
144 Posts

It looks like ya'll did a pretty good job fixing up that 8820. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it when you bought it? Did you buy all the augers from John Deere or an aftermarket company? I need to replace a few on our 7720, but I was just thinking about replacing the flighting on them. Did you have do any work to the motor?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:It looks like ya'll did a pretty good job fixing up that 8820. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it when you bought it? Did you buy all the augers from John Deere or an aftermarket company? I need to replace a few on our 7720, but I was just thinking about replacing the flighting on them. Did you have do any work to the motor?

Thanks Hogman. We bought some from Deere, some from A&I, and on one trip to the junkyard looking for some items we found an 8820 that was just junked that had a brand new unloading auger(probably less than 1 seasons use). The upright and both augers in the tube were near perfect. Plus the tube was nearly brand new. So we bought all of it. Probably at 1/3 of the cost of a brand new one from Deere. We bought the shoe augers from the salvage yard. They were in similar shape as the unloading augers. This might sound unbelievable, but we bought all of the shoe augers for something like $10 to $20. No joke.

The motor was fine when the dealership got it started for us. Ran perfect. But on the way home we had a major problem. At some point in time, the combine had had a small engine fire. Well the fire burnt the hose that drains the oil filter. Well we didn't notice that or even new to look at it. We get about 3 or 4 miles from the dealership and the hose gave way and the motor pumped all the oil out the blown hose. I noticed the combine loading up and putting out heavy smoke. So I pulled over and shut her off. She was locked up on the side of the road. No kidding. It was on the shoulder of a 4-lane, so it wasn't in the way of traffic. This was also on a Saturday around lunch so everybody was closed for the weekend. We had to wait until Monday morning to get a semi out to load her up and bring her home to get the motor pulled. If I remember, we had to turn the rods 10 over and the mains just needed polishing and new bearings for rods and mains. To this day it runs perfect. No oil use or anything. But it was one thing after the other with that combine. You never know what you might be getting into. Here are some pictures of the mishap on the road.

In the first picture notice the oil on everything. In the second one was a shot of it from the other side of the 4 lane. The third was the Monday morning we had her loaded up. In the fourth was at home right after getting her unloaded. The fifth is my granddad hooking a chain to it to pull it up to the shop for the motor to be pulled. And the last one is the next day after we had started to take the motor off.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts