The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple weeks of harvest were very very cold, I don't know how many cans of either we went through. Towards the end we had to be really careful on the road, there was only one instance where a truck nearly slid into the ditch.

Anyway, enjoy the pics and feel free to ask any questions.

This is not harvest but I will throw it in here, that shredding cornhead makes a big difference!

70's engines are so great

Before a big snow we had to bring home oats to fill the bulk bin for feeding.

Like I said, the roads were a little slick.

I like this field with nice long contour rows.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The snow along the edge of the field had 5 feet of snow in it so it was left for spring, I don't seem to have any pictures of that.

DONE!

By the end of the year the 4850 was leaking, engine oil, hyd. oil and diesel!

We put over 400 hours on the 4850 this fall.

The 8970 and 4850 were parked by the shop because they will be worked on first for obvious reasons.

Blowing off the combine, that is just the roof of the cab!

All of the snouts were frozen down so we could not blow off the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPTH5-0IViQ

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I Hope by mid next week we can say we're finished! Been one heck of an odd season and i cant wait for it to be over! I hope 2010 is EXACTLY like 2007 was, god that was the perfect year and we've been paying for it ever since then haha.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've cut flowers in the snow once. Makes for a good story, but not something I want to do again. On the bright side, since the ground froze you won't have any ruts.

I don't know what it is about old Deeres and leaks. The last year we had the 4650 I was adding almost a half-gallon of hydraulic oil every morning.

·
Registered
528 Posts
u have to hunt deer with shotguns??.. we get to use rifles .....a friend of mind had 80 acres of corn all winter an this spring when they combining he said around 25-30 ran out!..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow you are harvesting in snow that's new where are you?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Wow you are harvesting in snow that's new where are you?
Well, his last activity was nearly 5 years ago, so I don't expect you to get an answer any time soon.

I'm in MI and have combined corn in the snow a few times. It ain't much fun, and there's lots of topics on it here actually. I can summarize for you in 3 words:

"Colder the better".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts