The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought everyone could use some pictures to get in the mood for 2008. This is my first time posting pics. Hopefully these turn out. Enjoy!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey batcher-

Those pics were just what i needed. The winter stretch can get pretty long. Looks like you got two really nice deere machines. I enjoyed lookin even if they are green.
Thanks for postin!

Matt

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
why such small heads? only question i have to ask...

doesn't help any with the winter blues...harvest is still 7.5-8months away, would've preffered spring planting/tillage pictures

·
Registered
80 Posts
i see that dust plume in front of the cab in the first pic, makes me glad i run red. do have the feeder house fan on it?

i kinda like the short heads, makes for quick road travel.

does the 9500 produce similar grain quality (dockage, etc) to the new rotary?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i don't see why it wouldn't dan...really with such a small head i'd think he's starving the sts of what it's supposed to be taking in. We run a lil 24ft on our 9600 and it makes for easy road travel...but those look like 18-20ft platforms which are unheard of anymore it seems like.

Comparing FM tickets with a field neighbor we we're only .1% higher than he was. Cargill starts docking at 1% so we're usually around .8 or so. We try to sell as many pods as we can before they dock bushels, great way to increase your profit/acre in soybeans, lol.

Then again he is missing a walker compare to our combines so its a good question.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Though I see nothing wrong with the heads on those combines. Judging by the terrain and all those tower silos those are from either North Western New York or Quebec. Both quite intensive in dairy production. The small heads are for wheat. 30ft or more of straw is too much for most farmers balers. Particularly small square balers. Since in dairy intensive areas straw is almost as valuable as the grain a small head is the way to go.

Here is a brand new combine and brand new 622 flex head on a 9660sts.

Warren

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer your questions...

We farm close to Green Bay, WI. Almost everyone has a small dairy farm around here. Not much for cash cropping. Most fields are 20 acres or smaller. A couple of 40s.

Both heads are 20'. I bought the STS at an auction the week before the pics were taken and I already had the head. it will have a 30' for 2008. Although it is much easier for the amount of road time we have to keep a 20' head on and just go...

Grain samples are close between the two machines. The STS does do a bit better with FM. .2% compared to .4% with the walker. Much easier to setup than the walker though. There are not many rotary machines up here yet so I was a bit worried about grain quality, especially with what my customers might think. When I have different drivers come in to combine I always put them in the STS. Just set it and go! The 9500 takes a bit more babying through changing varieties or field conditions.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Batcher, those are beautiful combines. It rather reminds me of a father/son team, too.
Nevermind what others say about the headers. They are perfect for the bines, easier to maneuver, negotiate terrain, roads, etc. Beside, with flatter, more regular ground, such can be run a little faster, too, as needed to feed the machine.

Yes, no matter how far off harvest is, it's always just great to see pics of bines at works. Indeed, in the annals of this forum, the harvest never quits.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Quote:i see that dust plume in front of the cab in the first pic, makes me glad i run red. do have the feeder house fan on it?

sts rotar does the same thing. absolutly no dust. After we got our sts, I ran the neighbors 9500 in beans and at night you could not see a dam thing. I guess I was spoiled with the sts.

I never thought about the straw. We hire the neighbor to do our straw and then we make his 20 foot swath into two windrows.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
the dust isn't that bad..just have to have the lights in the right places. Usually beans get so tuff about 1hr after dark its time to quit anyway.

we have lights on the sides (underneath the platforms on each side of the cab) and it works pretty good. with the top lights on you can't see sh*t though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts