The Combine Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
454 Posts
Were these images oriented properly when they were first posted or have they all of a sudden turned? If they were sideways when posting, it's probably because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that gets imprinted on the photo when it was taken. The EXIF data holds a lot of information and determines the orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this data, and that is why you see it displayed properly in some places, but many others still are not (like this forum).Here's a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is that mobile devices are designed to work like a digital camera (ie holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'). Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.
Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

Unfortunately, there are not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time, which means that you'll need to edit your photos in an external editor in order to get them to orient properly on the forum.

If, on the other hand, the photos originally displayed properly on the forum but all of a sudden have flipped, please let us know.

Cheers,

Erik

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
That makes sense. I hold my phone vertically with the home button at the bottom (droid) but I bet if I took a screen shot of the pic then posted that it would be correct.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts