The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first four pictures are of me and one of our mexican employees gassing tobacco land, and the rest are of me picking corn on our 2007 CASE IH 2588 with my little cousin on our grain cart and of me running our tobacco cropper during the harvest season...Most of all of the pictures have to do with tobacco except for the two combine pictures. Tobacco is our main cash crop around here therefore as you can tell that is what we put most of our time money and effort into.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Cool pics, not many of us get to see tobacco farming very often... or at all. That's some pretty slick body work on the school bus, too. I have to ask, when you're gassing your tobacco fields, what are you applying? Also, where do you store whatever it is you're filling the rig with? There are pressure tanks on the bus, but I don't see one on the tractor. Does this stuff come out of the tanks as a stable liquid or something?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we are gassing our tobacco land we put out chloropic or telon which are basically forms or tear gas...And the telon which we are using is a liquid as you can tell that is forced out of the container by nitrogen into the tractor mounted tank. This stuff is very dangerous and burns the mess out of my eyes when i am putting injecting it into the ground. As for explaining the what the cropper does and exactly how it works i will get some more pictures and try to explain it a little better...all it does though is knocks a certain amount of leaves off of the plant with the heads on the machine and then the leaves run up the three belts and into the dump body on the back, then the tobacco is dumped onto the back of the bus and carried to the tobacco barns where it is put into boxes and then into the barns where it is cured at heat starting at 95 degrees eventually all the way up to 165 degrees. the whole process takes seven days to complete.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah that is the kind that you smoke...the yellow tobacco that you see us messing with is ground up into the little pieces that are in your cigarettes...and i live in eastern North Carolina...however i am applying to Iowa State because i want to live out there...and i have some pictures of tobacco plants in the greenhouses that i will post sometime in the near future...another question, what is the chance of a graduating student from iowa state with an agronomy gettin into farming out there..

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
If you want to buy land and start farming on your own here in IA, you'll have to compete with everyone else when buying land. In the time it takes to get a degree, that might change though. If you'd like to work for a coop or something I'm sure there are jobs around here.

-Lance

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tobacco and tomatoes are worst enemies...you can get tomato spotted wilt from tomato plants while your tobacco is in the field. yeah i rekon i can get you sum plants if you give me address to send it to, and you have to put the seeds on top of the soil and keep the soil wet you cannot start off tobacco under the dirt they will not come up...

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Hey Price, do you have a spare tray of baby baccer starts to spare? I finally got some seeds last year, tried to grow them, but no can do. I suppose tobacco just needs a lot warmer temp than tomatoes. No, I want only to have what I can keep outside. Tomatoes and baccer actually DO get along okay, as long as BOTH are outdoor-grown. The mosaic is a hothouse issue and potentially an indoor mater farmer's worst nightmare.

Here, the only stuff I worry about, is wilt, aphids and BER. I can only use non-Bt baccer, too. It IS for feeding to caterpillars.

My caterpillars also come from NCSU Raleigh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts