The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
After closely examining the pictures V8 power.
I notice some differences from North American machines.
It has a hopper cover not the typical hopper extension used here.
The straw chopper seems different for some reason and the rear hood taillights aren't there.
You got the leaky fuel tank though, that's typical.
The machine looks very good for its age I would say from the pictures.
1984 or 1985 ish year?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After closely examining the pictures V8 power.
I notice some differences from North American machines.
It has a hopper cover not the typical hopper extension used here.
The straw chopper seems different for some reason and the rear hood taillights aren't there.
You got the leaky fuel tank though, that's typical.
The machine looks very good for its age I would say from the pictures.
1984 or 1985 ish year?
In this part of the world it wouldn't be to unusual to get rained off several times during the harvest or in the one day at times and the hopper covers are generally on these machines to keep the water out. European combines usually have closed in hoppers. The straw chopper is a rare option on those machines in this part of the world and that one is a French machine all it's life so maybe it's a French made chopper?. MF had a factory in France anyway. If you look just over the straw chopper you'll see the tail lights on little spring loaded arms that can be swung out for road transport and pushed in when working in the field.
Thanks, the machine is almost in perfect condition. Not one rust blister that I could find and zero dents. The part of France it's in would be extreemly dry. Lot of new parts gone into it as well. The original owner was very particular as well and was very worried that we not let it rot when it comes to Ireland. When he traded it off he wouldn't let the dealership take it because they would have left it outside on their lot so he kept it in his machine shed and thats where I went to see it. After I got home he rang wondering if it would be ok to come over here next August to see it working. I reckon the poor man is going to cry the day the truck picks it up. He said it's 1988 but the last of those I believe had a red top and unloader not silver?.
I have read that it wasn't unusual to have those combines in stock for a year or even a few years before they were sold so I suppose the year it was first registered could be 1988?. I have the serial number written down somewhere if thats any use getting it's proper age?.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I can kind of tell the year by the features.
Muffler on top of the hood with red hopper extensions and yes red unloading auger should be 1986 and up.
If it has electric cyl speed and cleaning fan with sucker fan for the rotary screen probably 1985.
I'm not 100% for sure but I thought maybe some late 1984s had the electric controls.
For some reason there were lots of 1983s around here but few 1984 models.
For sure if it has a sucker fan on the rotary screen it has the improved double tapered engine output bearing and tapered output pulley.
I can't be certain anymore when the improved output shaft started but 1983 definitely did not have it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm not sure if it has electric cylinder speed control. I think it might have it but I honestly can't remember. Everything else from fan speed to reel speed is electric and up and down on the header. Grain loss monitors as well which I was surprised to see on such an old machine and working.
When I took the screen off just behind the cab to look into the rotary screen there was a decal that said something about electric motor drive or something like that. At the time I just took it to mean the rotary screen is driven with an electric motor but thats hardly right is it?. There usually belt driven.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The 865 wasn't introduced in NA until 1985 as for Europe I'm not sure. The ladder is like that used on 1981 and older combines, the black hood with no louvers was only used in 1981 on the 860, exhaust on the side 1985 and older. The rest is like MF cowboy said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi all. Been a while since I posted here. @SK Farmer I since found out the 865 I have is a 1982 machine.
I'm looking for a bit of help on sourcing belts for the 865. It needs new hydro belts and here in Ireland there 500 euro each and thats not even genuine MF. I see looking online I could get them from Abilene for a lot less but I'm wondering if there any good or best avoided?. I want to get a few other belts as well to have as spares. The window to harvest in Ireland is small with our damp climate and spare belts are a must have. Any help would be greatly appreciated on who I can go to over your side of the pond and who will ship to Ireland. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi all. Been a while since I posted here. @SK Farmer I since found out the 865 I have is a 1982 machine.
I'm looking for a bit of help on sourcing belts for the 865. It needs new hydro belts and here in Ireland there 500 euro each and thats not even genuine MF. I see looking online I could get them from Abilene for a lot less but I'm wondering if there any good or best avoided?. I want to get a few other belts as well to have as spares. The window to harvest in Ireland is small with our damp climate and spare belts are a must have. Any help would be greatly appreciated on who I can go to over your side of the pond and who will ship to Ireland. Thanks in advance
Is the belt part # 844336m1 NLA subs to 844336v1
$178 USD
God only knows what quality this will be.
You aren't the only one looking.
That thread is 10 years old.
OEM quality was obsolete then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is the belt part # 844336m1 NLA subs to 844336v1
$178 USD
God only knows what quality this will be.
You aren't the only one looking.
That thread is 10 years old.
OEM quality was obsolete then.
It's 844336m1 belts are currently on the combine. I found an agri store here who was able to supply 2 PIX belts for 500 euro including taxes. Not cheap but worth the peace of mind at harvest to have spare belts. I'd rate PIX as pretty good belts. Any I've used so far have given first class performance. Hopefully these will do the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you for the photos!
My wife and I have made the pilgrimage to search for ancestors in County Fermanagh.
We will return!
Your welcome. I'll post up more when I start the harvest in a few weeks time. One area I have has some really nice scenery and I'll try get a few pictures on the phone if I can and post them up. I live in and my main operation is based in County Laois but I farm in County Tipperary as well. A long way from Fermanagh, well a long way by Irish standards at 140 or 150 miles but I guess you guys would say thats a short spin :p.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ah, but is that 150 miles at 30 mph max on the little 1 lane roads that twist all over, or 150 miles as the crow flys which is 500 miles on the road.... in any case, similar to 500 miles + apart anywhere else!

OK thats a bit tongue in cheek, but I loved Ireland and the little windy roads and scenery. I noticed ... no pickup trucks (no need at the speeds the roads allow!) and NARROW roads. ( How the heck do you even move a normal combine w/o the head??) When I was there, a farmer was baling the "Hill of Tara". OK, that's COOL! I so would love to go back....Covid go away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It would be about 150 miles on the crooked little roads here :p :p. No matter where I drive in this country the avg speed recorded on the trip computer is rarely above 43mph. Pickups are kinda starting to get popular here but nothing like the big ones your guys have. Isuzu D-Max and Toyota Hi-Lux are our 2 main brands. I've a 01 Dodge Dually myself and it's the only one in the country working. There's 2 others I'm aware of here but they never get used and very rarely get driven. Cost of fuel is the main reason. When oil collapsed a few weeks ago the cheapest diesel got was 1.06 euro a litre. Petrol or Gas as you guys call it never dropped below 1.20 a litre. Agri diesel very briefly dropped to 38c a litre but it's back up around the mid 50c a litre now.
Ha ha moving the 865 between jobs is going to be interesting. It's wheel base is 13ft wide. I might see about cutting the centers out of the wheels and welding them back in 6 inches narrower on both front wheels to get her down to a more manageable 12ft width. Still a very wide machine for our tiny roads but a foot is a lot when you have nothing to spare. It's PO fitted oversize wheels all round and I can't turn the wheels inside out to narrow them if that makes sense so I've to try the other way I mentioned to reduce the width a bit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I can kind of tell the year by the features.
Muffler on top of the hood with red hopper extensions and yes red unloading auger should be 1986 and up.
If it has electric cyl speed and cleaning fan with sucker fan for the rotary screen probably 1985.
I'm not 100% for sure but I thought maybe some late 1984s had the electric controls.
For some reason there were lots of 1983s around here but few 1984 models.
For sure if it has a sucker fan on the rotary screen it has the improved double tapered engine output bearing and tapered output pulley.
I can't be certain anymore when the improved output shaft started but 1983 definitely did not have it.
A friend has a 83 860 with the double tapered output shaft bearing, my 82 has a Ford Set 10 rearend bearing for the output shaft.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You are likely correct he was at least the 3rd owner of that combine
Is there any way to tell if mine has the double taper bearing upgrade in it?. How would I know if or when these bearings are failing and need to be changed?.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To check the bearing simply loosen all the belts on the output pulley and with a long pry bar pry up from the frame against the pulley and look for vertical play.
There should be none on a good bearing.
I know the easy visual check to know if the bearing is the double spherical type is if the machine has the sucker fan on for the rotary screen all those machines had the double spherical bearing from new.
An older machine upgraded I'm not so sure visually you can tell, unless you can find a part # on the torque tube or evidence the tube was changed at some prior time.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts