The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Am i the only one that doesn't two craps what the combine looks like, but that it does a good job threshing and is efficient with fuel and leaves no grain in the field.

I don't think it is that hard to put those big dollars to making the panels look good and more money on making the combine have less places for chaff to build up on and more productive.

yes,, It is sad to say, but I think the V8 Mercedes is a better engine for a combine then the big cats. I didn't like it at first, but it is true. Even the 7 cylinder in the masseys is going to prove itself in fuel and efficiency. It runs smoother to. As long as they can keep the engine compartment clean and avoid fires.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Am i the only one that doesn't two craps what the combine looks like, but that it does a good job threshing and is efficient with fuel and leaves no grain in the field.

I don't think it is that hard to put those big dollars to making the panels look good and more money on making the combine have less places for chaff to build up on and more productive.

yes,, It is sad to say, but I think the V8 Mercedes is a better engine for a combine then the big cats. I didn't like it at first, but it is true. Even the 7 cylinder in the masseys is going to prove itself in fuel and efficiency. It runs smoother to. As long as they can keep the engine compartment clean and avoid fires.
Nobody told you? Flames add 50 HP ;)

Bruce

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Seen one on a truck going South on the A11 (East Anglia) here in the UK today, it had no model number on the side

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Not sure about North America, but the Claas people in Omaha claim that that CNH is #1 world wide whith Claas being #2 world wide. The makers of the Versatile combine claim they make 17% of the combines in the world. Here, Claas is definately gaining, but is still in the group of NH, Massey Ferguson, and Gleaner for sales.
I hope they switch to green and white, drop the Cat engines for the Mercedes, and add to their non-Cat dealer network.
After this year when people see how impressive the new Deere is these numbers will change when Deere becomes no1:D

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
After this year when people see how impressive the new Deere is these numbers will change when Deere becomes no1:D
Hmm...
I assure it is not. After a full day demo with a s690 I know for a fact that a s690 is slightly smaller than a 760 if you don't consider losses. If the s690 was forced to run similar losses to the lexion it wouldn't even be close. With both machines running a full load the lexions losses were 30percent of what the Deere was. Measured on more than one occasion with a four square foot screen. Not to mention the fuel consumption difference of almost a full gallon per acre more used by the Deere. .9 gap more to be exact! It was a real eye opener for us once again confirming the separating and threshing system of the class is still light years ahead of the single rotor machines at least. There was some nice features on the Deere but as far saving grain goes it just doesn't do it well. There was well over an hour spent setting the Deere to get the losses to that. Crop was winter wheat running 70 to 115 bpa.
Hmm...maybe not!;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Seen the new machine here in the UK and the wheelbase looks the same, its just the cladding that makes the Auger/combine look shorter. yet to see it in action, But then not a lot of action has gone on here, still trying to get the barley cut and the rap (conola) of the feilds, wish the rain would STOP

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not now!;)
Deere failed the mb test, in fact, I'd say Deere got trounced when you add loss and fuel use factor, that's good enough for me:)
There are lots of areas Deere is more user friendly but it looks like saving grain and fuel isn't two of them, and that's kind of important.;)
Yeah just a little bit important. :):)

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
Not necessarily

Deere as far as i can tell put a nice cab on what they had.
No, I wouldn't say that either, the little time I spent with an S690 that rethresher seem to make quite a clean sample.

I wonder if that extremely noisy cab I experienced was related to the door sealing issues we've been hearing about?

I really like Deere controls, especially the auger swing control for topping loads as well as the 15 degrees forward orientation.
The same control on a Lexion could best be described as absolutely ******** stupid!:mad:

For a reason unknown to me the S690 I drove had 4WD, it could turn on a dime and give 9 cents change, as opposed to tried and true Lexion approach of "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this thing around"!
Eventually!;)

Moral of this story?
Nothing is either all good or all bad!:);)

·
Registered
609 Posts
No, I wouldn't say that either, the little time I spent with an S690 that rethresher seem to make quite a clean sample.

I wonder if that extremely noisy cab I experienced was related to the door sealing issues we've been hearing about?

I really like Deere controls, especially the auger swing control for topping loads as well as the 15 degrees forward orientation.
The same control on a Lexion could best be described as absolutely ******** stupid!:mad:

For a reason unknown to me the S690 I drove had 4WD, it could turn on a dime and give 9 cents change, as opposed to tried and true Lexion approach of "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this thing around"!
Eventually!;)

Moral of this story?
Nothing is either all good or all bad!:);)
If they gained as much in capacity between the 70 series and the S series as they did between the 60 and 70 then it should be good. I was running a 9760 with a 36' MD head and was getting smoked by the 9770 with a 40' JD head :eek:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts