The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they as trouble free and easy to work on and better seeding compared to the other Brands?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are they as trouble free and easy to work on and better seeding compared to the other Brands?
How is maintenance on these ? Bearings? How often did they need grease? Disc/scraper wear? Seed boot wear ? Etc
Mine has been pretty trouble free. A neighbor has a JD 1890 and he has to do an order of magnitude more work on that drill than I have to do on mine.

As far as maintenance, there are grease zerks on the bushing for the parallel-linkage to the sub frame that have to be greased every day, then are a number of additional grease spots that are greased weekly. On the openers themselves I grease the packer wheel bearings once a year and that's it.

I replaced my discs at 8,000 acres (on a 40' machine) though I probably could have gone to 10k if I was willing to give up a little ability to seed deep. My scrapers are still original but they will probably need to be replaced when I wear this set of discs out. I've replaced probably 4 or 5 sets of disc bearings, but all of them are due to me over-greasing the disc hubs and blowing out the seals. Once I quit doing that I haven't any more need replacing.

Unlike some other disc drills (I'm looking at you, John Deere) you can actually get under this drill to work on it/change seed depth without wanting to kill yourself. Its still not fun, but its not all that bad.

As far as the job it does, every disc drill has its advantages and disadvantages and how its going to work for you is going to depend a lot on the conditions you are seeding into and what exactly you want the drill to do. I have been content with how my drill has worked for me, there are things I wish it would do better and things I wish were different about it, but that doesn't mean I'd rather have something else.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We just purchased last spring a 4010. Simple was why we purchased it as well as no need for hi flow hydraulics. It is incredible in trash, after the issues with wet straw in the spring and a flexi 5000 on 9 inch spacings, this is no contest. Pulls harder than we thought, does not work superb on dry soils as the crust fractures and seed placement is not as accurate, but speed may be the issue there. Disc wear we are told should get us 7 to 10000 acres and the hoe 12000. The only real issue in the spring was the odd broken bolt that hold the hoe to the shank likely due to hitting a rock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one late last fall and was changing out the disks and the hoe recently. I changed all the front bolts on the hoe to a grade 8 bolt, as I was told they break once in a while. All the new drills come with all grade 8 bolts on the hoe opener. I hope I will like it, and have been wanting one for a few years now. Just hoping the double ribbed packer will be O.K in my clay loam soils. I have heard in certain conditions the soil may not close behind the shank as well as it should.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts