The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this breed? Looking at buying some cattle someday and was wondering how well they are in terms of beef production, my cousins raise limousin amd like them and i will go with them but i also want something different.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There are "behind the barn" cattle. And there are "behind the bush" cattle. My 80-90% black angus based cows with a splash of Hereford and Galloway I feel are the behind the bush variety. Never see the inside of a barn and are very low maintenance. The pinzgauers I've been around are more the behind the barn type. Haven't seen many in my part of the world though and I think that speaks to itself. Maybe they're more common in Colorado.

Typically here the "different ones" sell at a discount. Something to keep in mind.

Mine aren't perfect and I don't like making generalizations as there are good and bad in every breed. Just my observations. You're milage may vary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dot plan on raising cattle in colorado, im movin back to kansas here soon, i am from mennonite descent and this german/swiss breed could possibly become popular, but who knows, i dont plan on this being my "main" breed if you will, im always interested in oddball things, whether it be livestock or trucks or guns.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are "behind the barn" cattle. And there are "behind the bush" cattle. My 80-90% black angus based cows with a splash of Hereford and Galloway I feel are the behind the bush variety. Never see the inside of a barn and are very low maintenance. The pinzgauers I've been around are more the behind the barn type. Haven't seen many in my part of the world though and I think that speaks to itself. Maybe they're more common in Colorado.

Typically here the "different ones" sell at a discount. Something to keep in mind.

Mine aren't perfect and I don't like making generalizations as there are good and bad in every breed. Just my observations. You're milage may vary.
Wow you have some Galloway breeding. I wish there was a few more of them around. They toughen them angus cows up a bit. I have a couple purebred girls which I try to keep every half cross heifer off of. However there just isn't many around anymore. The last notable breeder around here packed it in and I think he was one of the better herds in the country.

The pinzgauer cows, now I may be wrong, but they are double muscled. Double muscling does have the attributes of higher muscle mass and meat yield on the hind quarter but like the other double muscled breed Belgian Blue they can be hard calving.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Have you considered Red Devon cattle? These are highly fertile, cows live close to 20 years, have very good marbling similar to wagyu cattle, easy calving. When I start a herd I will get some of these. Check out Lakota ranch on YouTube. They getting popular in New Zealand as well. In Australia the using them in the remote parts as they are tick resistant and do well off crap feed. I will cross mine with a Charolais or Simmental, was chatting to some guys in uk and they get them above 400kg at 12 months, some times 450 kg plus. Just a thought?

Calving issues turned me off Belgium blue, may work on some big Herefords or dairy cows etc?

Ant...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.