The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to shed a little light on pioneer canola company and there variety’s. We decided to grow pioneer 506 canola and it was a horrible year but with that said our neighbours fields and ours where we grew invigor turned out ok on the year. Our pioneer 506 variety though did not even attempt to make pods. I had plenty of agronomists come look at it and everyone blamed it on heat and drought but every canola crop went through the same heat and drought as ours. I did my do diligence in trying to figure out what happened and everything on my end cleared. Contacted pioneer they sent out a agronomist who’s only words were drought and heat stress while every other canola in the area went though the same drought and heat stress mine did. I got ahold of the canola council and a few forensic agrologists and trying to go down that route and am finding out I’m not the only one with this issue. Pioneer is such a shady outfit they refuse to send out another qualified agronomist. They told me basically to pound sand and refuse to admit there variety is awful anyone thinking about buying pioneers new variety’s be aware many have also had issues with the 501 in this area as well

·
Registered
753 Posts
Dont jump year to year with different varieties is all I can offer for advice. Find a good one like l252 or a pod shatter l 233 invigor and stay with it. Seen way too many times guys try a new type of variety and it blows up in there face. Try to stay in the same plant genes if forced to upgrade varieties.

Last year a friend tried a pioneer variety I think it was 660 or something and yield 15 bushels less than l252 in same location. Your case though would be very frustrating. I have seen this year late reseeded canola shut down all together no matter what the variety is. didnt ask if that was pioneer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Trust me I didnt wanna grow this bug pioneer had apparently “sold” out of there straight cut RR variety’s and this was what I was left with. Was also told that this variety had been grown before but was only grown in controlled test plots. We have it seeded in pea stubble to harrowed wheat stubble and non harrowed and it’s all like this, pioneer won’t acknowledge the problem and keeps sweeping it under the rug. We have spent millions of dollars on pioneer canola seed without a issue and sadly made the mistake of buying there untested 506 variety and they won’t do anything about it. Not even send out a second agronomist that is gonna try to figure out what happened

·
Registered
981 Posts
I will agree not all canola is the same but no 2 farms are the same either. And 2 or 4 days seeding difference is night and day this year on some fields so I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about varieties only. 2021 is a year where all going to remember to well

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will agree not all canola is the same but no 2 farms are the same either. And 2 or 4 days seeding difference is night and day this year on some fields so I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about varieties only. 2021 is a year where all going to remember to well
I get that but we were very dry early spring so everyone seeded in dry dirt and everyone’s canola started germinating at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would never directly blame a variety unless i was Sure. I have had or am getting out the canola council and several agronomists who do not understand what happened. I have done more than my fair share of due diligence on this and pioneer won’t even send someone out to look at it on there behalf. They had sent out a below par agronomists I had thought and only words she said was “ heat and drought stress” well everyone’s canola went through that why is the 506 variety so much worse

·
Registered
447 Posts
don’t think u have much too stand on- but you are doing the right thing by letting ppl know how ****ty that 506 pioneer canola is , lol … though. In fairness to Pioneer or any seed company I do not remember it saying any where on any canola bag - “ guarenteed 50 plus bushel “

farming is a risk,which we all know, but for going on 20 plus years Invigors have lead the pack, not sure why you would pay big money betting on a dark horse …. Maybe try a bag or 2 next time … That was a gamble - that’s farming

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
506, 505, dekalb and 233 all in the same field. Combined lastnight. All ****ty, 505 the worse, the rest were all within a half bushel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don’t think u have much too stand on- but you are doing the right thing by letting ppl know how ****ty that 506 pioneer canola is , lol … though. In fairness to Pioneer or any seed company I do not remember it saying any where on any canola bag - “ guarenteed 50 plus bushel “

farming is a risk,which we all know, but for going on 20 plus years Invigors have lead the pack, not sure why you would pay big money betting on a dark horse …. Maybe try a bag or 2 next time … That was a gamble - that’s farming
Oh I did not wanna seed it at all. I like the older rr pioneer but was told I couldn’t get it. No there is no guarantee but 20 bushel difference between variety’s of canola is a lot though.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Ours looks as good or bad as any other, actually think it’s gonna do better than most others. Don’t know what to tell ya. It’s also quite cheaper than Invigor.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well just a comment about Invigor...who remembers L150. There was a huge push to sell this, similar situation, couldn't get anymore 5440 (the old go to variety) but they have lots of L150.
In this area it was a disaster. I can't remember the average yield penalty, but in some situations it was uncuttable due to extreme height and lodging. Did Bayer at the time due anything about it, no, and that's fine. We should have tried it on a smaller scale, lesson learned going forward.
I think going as far to call the Pioneer shady is a big over reach. I asked my local rep about 506 this spring. He said he only sold a little for small plots the year prior, and the results were poor. He didn't want to push the product until it had a more proven track record. Can't get more honest then that.
If you really want to know what went wrong, other than heat and drought stress, ask an independent agronomist. If you want it to be a Pioneer agronomist in hopes you get some compensation, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well just a comment about Invigor...who remembers L150. There was a huge push to sell this, similar situation, couldn't get anymore 5440 (the old go to variety) but they have lots of L150.
In this area it was a disaster. I can't remember the average yield penalty, but in some situations it was uncuttable due to extreme height and lodging. Did Bayer at the time due anything about it, no, and that's fine. We should have tried it on a smaller scale, lesson learned going forward.
I think going as far to call the Pioneer shady is a big over reach. I asked my local rep about 506 this spring. He said he only sold a little for small plots the year prior, and the results were poor. He didn't want to push the product until it had a more proven track record. Can't get more honest then that.
If you really want to know what went wrong, other than heat and drought stress, ask an independent agronomist. If you want it to be a Pioneer agronomist in hopes you get some compensation, good luck.
Canola council and many agronomists have been out and have no idea what went wrong.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
506, 505, dekalb and 233 all in the same field. Combined lastnight. All ****ty, 505 the worse, the rest were all within a half bushel.
What was the yield on the 505 vs the 506. I have some of both and neither is swathed yet but the 505 is greener although these are planted on two different types of stubble ground so its not an entirely fair comparison. By eye the 505 is definitely taller but both have lots of blank spots along the stems due to extreme heat blasting the flowers and I see that on various neighbours fields with various varieties, not enough rain and way too much heat.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
What was the yield on the 505 vs the 506. I have some of both and neither is swathed yet but the 505 is greener although these are planted on two different types of stubble ground so its not an entirely fair comparison. By eye the 505 is definitely taller but both have lots of blank spots along the stems due to extreme heat blasting the flowers and I see that on various neighbours fields with various varieties, not enough rain and way too much heat.
It isn’t pretty, but here are the numbers.

505 9.8bu/Ac
506 12.8bu/Ac
Dekalb 13.3bu/Ac
233 12.4bu/Ac

These are off combine yield monitor, it’s calibrated off cart and is reasonably accurate.
505 also looked the worse, dekalb was shortest and most even. Probably throwing over the most on the 233, when we crossed the line the loss monitor really went up,still working on that. Think it’s cause of the small seed size, amplified by the drought.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts