The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seems to me that the companies that sell canola seed that are a dud push it to get back their investment in poor genetics, then drop that variety the next year! DeKelb did that with their new SC92 a couple years ago, it was “awesome, with great yields” no it was actually sh!tty with low yeilds and high green count!! They had enough complaints and pissed off farmers that it was dropped after just one year! As for myself, I will never grow a new variety ever again, I will stick with canola that has been around for at least 3 years and stay with what works on my farm for the land I have! If I try anything new to me, it will be a 40 acre side by side with what I’ve grown before! Would rather stay with what works for me, than chase the 5% yield advantage that the seed companies claim in their hyped up yield stats for their new varieties!! If it isn’t broke, don’t try and fix it for no reason!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seems to me that the companies that sell canola seed that are a dud push it to get back their investment in poor genetics, then drop that variety the next year! DeKelb did that with their new SC92 a couple years ago, it was “awesome, with great yields” no it was actually sh!tty with low yeilds and high green count!! They had enough complaints and pissed off farmers that it was dropped after just one year! As for myself, I will never grow a new variety ever again, I will stick with canola that has been around for at least 3 years and stay with what works on my farm for the land I have! If I try anything new to me, it will be a 40 acre side by side with what I’ve grown before! Would rather stay with what works for me, than chase the 5% yield advantage that the seed companies claim in their hyped up yield stats for their new varieties!! If it isn’t broke, don’t try and fix it for no reason!!
I agree 100% my issue was that pioneer claimed they had no more of there old school rr variety and this was the only seed that was left and can see why this variety never sold out.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
So how does anyone prove it was the seed that was the issue if there is nothing on the same farm, on the same field, seeded with same seeder and fertilized the same?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
So how does anyone prove it was the seed that was the issue if there is nothing on the same farm, on the same field, seeded with same seeder and fertilized the same?
We have some 505 and 506 in the same field as invigor 255. And they all look about the same so we will see once the combine gets to it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Grew some plots with Cs4000, P506, and the rest of the farm L345.
Same drill, same day, same fertilizer and the 506 came out on top, just slightly ahead of the 345. They were both quite a bit better than the CS4000 even though the 4000 seemed to have an edge coming out of the ground through flowering. All weighed into the cart.
Crappy rainfall year to compare seed varieties so I wouldn't write any of them off. Interesting how green it looks yet elevator says dry and 1% green.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
So are you 100% positive it’s not fert related or seed depth etc ? Just cause neighbours are better doesn’t mean it’s due to variety 🤷🏼‍♂️ Don’t take that personally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So are you 100% positive it’s not fert related or seed depth etc ? Just cause neighbours are better doesn’t mean it’s due to variety 🤷🏼‍♂️ Don’t take that personally.
100% did variable rate with two different guys did all my recommendations and have it on a few stubble variety’s. Peas,harrowed wheat non harrowed wheat pro tilled wheat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only grow Pioneer canola so this grabbed my attention. My observations FWIW in this dry year P501 looks to be our best canola this year but has poor patches in it. 45CM39 seeded right across the road is appears to be about equal but fewer thin patches, was seeded 2 days after the p501. More 45cm39 seeded a couple miles away (on admittedly poorer ground and 2-3 days later yet). The late seeded 45cm39 has a lot that looks like the OPs first picture with a few decent patches. All fields were fall banded 50-0-0-15. The better looking canola had a seed placed blend of about 45-10-10-0, the poor canola was 45-20-10-0. Weed pressure was high in areas and less than ideal germ led to plant counts of 3-4 per ft2 on average. Why was it so significantly worse on the one field and not others? Idk. I suspect just those few days of heat, the better canola was flowered by the end of June when the first wave of heat hit, whereas the poor canola was just bolting.

Not saying there isn't crap varieties or bad bags of seed out there. But heat stress and drought...sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

·
Registered
978 Posts
100% did variable rate with two different guys did all my recommendations and have it on a few stubble variety’s. Peas,harrowed wheat non harrowed wheat pro tilled wheat.
So did your neighbors use the same drill and same type of fertilizer and exact same rates of fertilizer? Not saying it’s not the seed but trying to compare to neighbors is usually a bad idea in my experience. And I’ve seen some goofy things this year with record heat in June and dryness.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It will be interesting if the 506 variety is around next year! Most of the duds disappear quickly, only to be replaced by something new and better! Will have to check the “Yield Alberta 2021” report that AFSC will have out in early 2022 that shows the acres and yield of every variety of canola grown in Alberta…I wonder how the 506 will compare to the other 85 different varieties grown in the province!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There was a plot by snipe lake last year. Some yields were under 10 bushel an acre and rest were in the teens. The results were only up for a couple days and then the whole plot was taken down

·
Registered
750 Posts
Would like to shed a little light on pioneer canola company and there variety’s. We decided to grow pioneer 506 canola and it was a horrible year but with that said our neighbours fields and ours where we grew invigor turned out ok on the year. Our pioneer 506 variety though did not even attempt to make pods.
Well farmer 95, yesterday afternoon a pioneer customer service rep called to advertise there pioneer varieties. I told them I am loyal to Invigor varieties , but mentioned how pioneer 506 was performing poorly in the fields this year. Of course they tip toed around that issue blaming it on drought. They must know that variety is poor if they are feeding me bull or the around even though I have never grown a pioneer variety since 46a65 way back when. They refused to offer any other help or advise. I would hate to be in the guys shoes who grew the stuff!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Grew 501, 506 ,cm39 and h42 this year. In this dry year all feilds have areas that will yeild between 2 and 40 something bushels per acre I'm guessing. Seems like everyones Canola is the same out here its amazing how every few feet the dirt can change and the crop is twice as good or bad as a few feet over. Same story in the cereal crops too. Rep said he hardly sold 501 as everyone took 506

Have lots of areas that look like the photos posted but only on higher ground, low spots are nice , same story with everyones in my area some worse than others

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So did your neighbors use the same drill and same type of fertilizer and exact same rates of fertilizer? Not saying it’s not the seed but trying to compare to neighbors is usually a bad idea in my experience. And I’ve seen some goofy things this year with record heat in June and dryness.
When the difference is this significant I think you can easily compare it to your neighbours when 2 out of 3 use the same drill as we do. Fertilizer is very similar. Yield of 1-2 bushels I can see but not 15-20 difference

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you use Heat to dry do a dry down on that field last fall. We did and planted canola into it and caught it early enough to replant to soybeans. The canola plants that didn’t get burnt down after replant look a little like the pics you posted.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts