The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How did p7632r compare to p7443r in your area. Understandably they have renamed 7632 to now be p7332r since they say is acting earlier than anticipated. I only had 12 bags of 7632 for 2013 which was a horrible year for our area. But the 7443 was earlier matured and better quality than 7632. I kinda question the decision to move 7632 into 73 day realm????

7213 still has the best grain year in year out in this area...

What say you? What corn varieties are catching your eyes for 2014?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the invoice and the 12 bags I tried was 7632HR

How big of a difference is it???

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I just checked the invoice and the 12 bags I tried was 7632HR

How big of a difference is it???
It's apparently very big. In MB the 7332 was coming off drier than 7213 the last couple years in research trials. We had the 7632hr as well and I agree it's later than I would like to see. IMO it's later than 39d97 and 39v05. I personally think 39v05 is just as early or earlier than 7443. At least it was here last year. We are planting 7332, 7443, 39v05, and 7213 this year so we'll find out a little more with field scale trials.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Planted 7213 and 7443 very late and 7213 had a much better yield. Dealer told me it was because it was planted so late is why the 72 out yielded the 74 day. Was very impressed with the ear height on the 7213.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Planted 7213 and 7443 very late and 7213 had a much better yield. Dealer told me it was because it was planted so late is why the 72 out yielded the 74 day. Was very impressed with the ear height on the 7213.
The 7443 must not have fully matured because it will always outyield the 7213 if it does. It is a lot later variety. 7213's ear height is nothing special here. In wet conditions it gets very low. 7213 doesn't handle excess moisture as well as most varieties IMO. It however is the only variety anyone north of #1 highwayon the west side of MB or sk should be growing. Atleast as far as I know it's the earliest corn available.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The 7443 must not have fully matured because it will always outyield the 7213 if it does. It is a lot later variety. 7213's ear height is nothing special here. In wet conditions it gets very low. 7213 doesn't handle excess moisture as well as most varieties IMO. It however is the only variety anyone north of #1 highwayon the west side of MB or sk should be growing. Atleast as far as I know it's the earliest corn available.
There are a couple of Legend Seeds varieties that are supposed to be the same CHU as 7213. Was going to try some for 2014, but I think I'm cancelling the corn experiments here for now...

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
P7632HR very close in maturity to 39B94 and 39D97 here in eastern quebec.

P7332R pretty much the same in maturity as P7213, but with better standability. P7443 is at least 2 weeks later in my region and standability can be an issue. Might not be as problematic in western Canada though. We have bigger winds and more insect issues I think

I love P7213r in my area, and the little I've seen from p7332 tells me it will be better.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I would say 7443 is ten days later here. It does dry down quickly but you are right maturity is much later than 7213. Did you have some 7332? How did it compare? I have never seen it so I have to take pioneers word on it. It was likely in our field last year in replicated research plots but they weren't marked so I wasn't sure on the varieties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 73 is a short plant as well, he does not look as flashy as the 72, but in our plot it ended-up a couple bushels over the 72 with pretty much the same moisture.

I'm talking from my point of view in eatern quebec though. We do not grow a lot of corn cause we are very tight in CHU.

I tried the samco system last year, corn under film. Gained around 300 CHU so we might grow more corn in the area in a near futur haha ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I gave up on Pioneer several years ago, got sick of all the re numbering of old hybrids, average yields (if it didn't fall on its face), and it being the highest priced seed I had. Plant mostly DeKalb numbers now along with Croplan and Mycogen.

I think Pioneer's market share is really crumbling especially in this area.

3 Pioneer seed corn plants with in 25 miles of me and 2 are cutting production 50% and the third is cutting 75%. That tells a story.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
100% Pioneer on my farm. With all the program discounts is $28/bag cheaper than Dekalb. Ive got a fantastic dealer and that is all the difference.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
100% Pioneer on my farm. With all the program discounts is $28/bag cheaper than Dekalb. Ive got a fantastic dealer and that is all the difference.
That could be the difference to. Just like with machinery the best product is crap with no dealer support.

Last year they gave me a bunch of free product to try and get business back and it got hammered. If it is working for you then great. I will not be planting it again.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
In the north pioneer is pretty diminent. 70% market share in MB. I am not biased and will grow whatever makes me most $. Right now that's pioneer, Dekalb just doesn't dry down as fast or yield as high. I grow a few Dekalb varieties every year too for
Comparison.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts