The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shaft on the right side of my 94 R72 twisted off. I was wondering what my next step to fix it will be. I'm assuming that I'll have to pull the throat out, if anyone has been down this road before I could use some tips and advice,
thank,
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that I'll put a grease fitting in like you said. Also for preventative maintenance put one on my R62 also. What's involved in pulling the feeder? I'm assuming take the feeder chains off, unhook cylinders and belts. What then? Looks like a plate on either side with 2 big bolts. I'm also assuming that this is the point where the tow motor comes into play

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take off belts either side, undo anything else attached to frame of combine. Using pallet forks or similar come into the front take the weight undo rams, undo the 2 bolts either side and reverse out with it.
If you have the time while its off drop the rear of feeder floor by cutting, as per my dummy spit thread or plenty similar. And as mentioned see whats happened to the drum stop looks to me that it is gone at least it will be easy to work on that part with feeder house of. Being a 72 it will more than likely have a hump under the rear chain drum as well, which needs to be gone and replaced with a trough. We did our old 62 and improved the feed out of sight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had noticed the drum stop gone too when this happened. Also noticed that the feeder chains had jumped time on that side too. I'm thinking that when I get into it the cogs are going to be worn

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pull the that use a fork lift or loader tractor, we snapped ours off 2 years ago and it wasn't terrible to do. You have to take the feeder chain gears off the shaft to get it out which can be kind of a pain to get them off but other than that its pretty straight forward. Run a chain threw the square hole in the back of the feeder house and put the forks or bucket on the lower end of the feeder house and attach the chain to it to hold it up. just a few belts and electeral on each side

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm not saying it's any quicker, but I simply don't remove the throat. Remove the right drive tire. Remove the sheaves and slip clutch on the pivot shaft. De-tension the feeder chain and remove connector links. Either drop the chain out or figure out how to hold it in place, but it has to be free of the drive sprockets. Remove floating wrap shields. Remove drive sprocket setscrews (use heat to melt Loctite) or thru bolts depending on machine age. Use a big hammer and penetrating oil and get the drive sprockets to slide on the pivot shaft. Remove the 1/2" retaining bolt on the ladder side of the pivot shaft. Press the shaft thru the left bearing ( with short stubby jack or port-o-power) and it will go out the right side as the sprockets slide on the pivot shaft. I had a thick plate that I stood up on the load beam and against the vertical wall of the area where you press against the pivot shaft to press it out. As I remember over the years from N-5-6 up thru R-62-72 probably did 8 or 9 of these and never removed the throat. Replace the ladder side bearing by turning it sideways and pulling it out. Right side bearing is straight in/out fit....replace both brgs with new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.