The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good remedies for deep ruts that bog down a pivot after 3 or 4 passes???:bang: I've placed directional sprinklers facing away from the towers, larger tires on the towers that travel in the "rotten" tracks and plugged off the water drains that would open directly over the tires once the pivot stopped ( or got stuck). I've tried dumping dry lime in the ruts (worked pretty good once it was wet and hardened) and plan to try straw bales in some deep ruts.....conditions are really bad this year due to the extremely high water table due to the flooding river that's 6 miles North, 7.5 miles East and approximately 12 miles South of this irrigation system....its been stuck 3 times already while just trying to move it (dry) out of the planter's way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Throw bags of volcanic rock in bad spots ? or get some Mud Lugs they work well on stuck towers . All of my systems have 11.2x38 tires and ruts get so deep that towers will hang up in certain circles . Then I put in extensions at the pivot to move them out of the deep ruts areal pita .

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sounds like you might need some raaft tracks. Except that you can't install them after you already have pivot ruts formed.

In my experience wide pivot tires just make bigger ruts. I wonder if flax straw would work in the bottom of ruts.

Some people around here extend the sprinklers way out behind the tower so that the tower is always driving on dry ground. Not sure that would help you because your ground isn't dry to begin with!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know people have used flax with good success in our area. Maybe some flax,dirt,flax layers could work. We used flax in our corrals in a very boggy high traffic area with good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts