The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunflowers were a success this past year with my disc drill, but most of the reading I have done suggests that a planter is the best way to get them in the ground. I am just interested in Black Oils but still seems to be some benefit to them.

Also, everything I read seems to suggest that wide rows on grazing corn means less waste from trampling, and extra tons to boot.

So I am looking at planters now. Looks like the way to go is to bring one out of the US. Looking like probably about 500 to 800 acres per year maximum would be what I would look at planting, all but probably 160ac being sunflowers. So I have some questions:

What size makes sense for those acres? Thinking a 12R30? I have a Case 4490 4WD that could run it while running the drill with the other tractor.

What brand should I look at? Seems Deeres are everywhere. We have a neighbor with 7200s so that knowledge base would be an asset as well.

What kind of meters do I need? I assume vacuum makes the most sense for corn and sunflowers both.

It will be no till, so thinking if I can find a machine with row cleaners, Keetons and spiked closers I am way ahead of having to buy that all later and put it on.

Some sort of separate placed fertilizer would probably be an asset as well since I don't want to have multiple field operations. Is dry or liquid better? I use all dry when seeding, but also have some liquid tanks. Are single or double disc openers better?

Thanks to everyone.

Anyone have something like I need for sale or know of one?

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I'm the one that has the 12" corn thread but I have been around all the planters, currently running Great Plains, very impressed with the quality, haven't seen much kinze. Air meters to me are the only way to go because of the ease of service and clean out, prior to the Great Plains I run a Deere 1750 concervation model for six years, it was the planter I started corn with. An 8 row would fit you fine if you're not too cramped for time or if you could dedicate one man to it no one should have to babysit a 8 row like the larger planters ( such as needing someone to keep seed and fertilizer supplied). We are no-till also and I recommend Precision Plant meters in the Deere. Also from a seed dealers stand point Martin row cleaners are the only row cleaners and a must have and a spiked closing wheel of some sort, I prefer Dawn or a more reasonable one that I find works well is the Great Plains spider wheel for less than half price of the Dawn, drag chains sound silly but they are important and inexpensive. What I miss about the 8 row was add ons weren't such a budget thing cause it was only 8 rows. But sizing the planter may be more about what size tractor you run, when I left the 8 row I skipped to 24 due to not having an In between tractor size but an 8 row has an average 100 acre day and I have covered full qtrs but it don't always go that nice.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I am thinking dry would work well because I could easily adapt an aircart (I still have Frankencart around) to get some better capacity between fills.

I posted on AgTalk and the one responder said that about 100ac per row (on 30 inch rows) is about normal. So a 6 or an 8 row may be just what I need. 100ac per day with an 8 row would mean a week of planting to get everything in that I want to, which would not be that big of a deal at all.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks guys.

I am thinking dry would work well because I could easily adapt an aircart (I still have Frankencart around) to get some better capacity between fills.

I posted on AgTalk and the one responder said that about 100ac per row (on 30 inch rows) is about normal. So a 6 or an 8 row may be just what I need. 100ac per day with an 8 row would mean a week of planting to get everything in that I want to, which would not be that big of a deal at all.
Hello Kirschenman
You must've made a deal with Mother Nature,... or the devil??? It seems that I only get 1 day to get my silage corn in the ground. I'm at 5 acres/row.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Have a 7200 8 row Vac planter with dry fertlizer, sunflower & corn disks in the shed we are trying to sell. Something like that sounds perfect for you but it's not setup for no till. I've seeded 600 acres of sunflowers in a growing season with it.

A 4490 would be overkill for an 8 row, but I suppose if it's all you had. I'd make sure your tire spacing is right or just run singles. Used to pull ours with a 2090 with single tires. Heck even now we pull our 12/24 1790 with a MXU135 front wheel assist with singles. But that tractor is right at the limit for a 12 row with interplants on flat ground.

I would go with an 8 or 12 row 30" JD 7200 vac. Nothing major has changed on the row units since. We would still be seeding with our 8 row but we wanted to go bigger and at the same time decided to go to interplants. So now we have a 12/24 1790 we use instead.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Planting grazing corn on 22inch 12 row Monosem ng with seed booths. Get my 80 ac.done in a pretty long day. Not including discing and harrowing.
Trampling occurs with any row spacing, I like the 22 inch for North Alberta growing days reasons.
With cows year after year on same field, fertilizer input is minimal.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'd go with Deere if that's what is easiest to get. It doesn't have to have vac meters, either. Finger meters work great for corn, and are decent for sunflowers (although you have to get special sunflower fingers to plant Size 3 and 4 oilseed flowers). They also don't take any extra hydraulic power, which might be better for an older tractor, especially if it's a bareback (don't know if your 4490 has a PTO or not).

I do think the Early Riser opener is hard to beat, so I wouldn't rule out a CaseIH planter. Even an older Cyclo Air would fit your needs nicely. Everyone says their seed spacing sucks, but for grazing corn that won't be an issue. I haven't planted a bunch of flowers with my 955, but a test run with a half-bag left over this summer was very impressive. I used my sorghum drums, which seemed about perfect for Size 4 sunflowers (which is good because I don't know if a guy can find any dedicated sunflower drums).

Regardless of brand, I wouldn't go with anything less than an 8 row, and a 12 would be a lot better. With the short season you guys have, I would want to be finished planting as quickly as possible. It's sometimes hard for me to get 100 acres done in a day with a 12 row.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding fertilizer, seeing some studies that show near equal yields with dribble bands 2 inches beside the seedrow compared to a 2x2 band in the soil. If I use Agrotain on the UAN and have some 10-34 as well it would give me way more options for planters to buy without giving up much (if any) yield.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what I was thinking too. Would make for easy filling, no need for an auger in the field. I get the feeling that dry fertilizer boxes on the planter aren't a real joy to utilize. Plus I could always pull a bigger tank behind the planter and still use the same plumbing if I wanted to get fancy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.