The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting a question for a friend. He has a 2166, and is going to replace the feeder chain. Does anyone have any experience with the plastic feeder chain by Harvest Services? Does it hold up in cold weather? Thanks in advance for any and all answers and opinions.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would never use. I know some people that tried it and put on the plastic sprockets. It never worked. They want back to steel in the middle of harvest which was not something you want to have to do at that time. I think the lugs stripped off the sprockets. Some have tried to line the feeder house with puckboard too and the straw works its way underneath and bulges it - that never worked either.

If you want it to run quieter, put in the roller/silencer kit (rod all the way across). Remember that the metal slats on a feeder chain never wear out. They are easily brought back into shape. With header off, put in a crowbar at the drum and straighten. My chain slats are not always straight but rounded up in the middle due to high MOG. That doesn't seem to matter, only really matters when a rock gets in and gives the chain a bad cant which does have to be taken out to be straightened or replaced. If I had a newer combine with 3 sprockets/chains on, I would seriously go back to 2 when it wore out. The stress on the upper shaft on the 3 chain system often breaks the top shaft. If you keep the feeder chain looser, you can get at least 1000 hours of use out of it. Think of the MOG as your natural tightener. If you tighten up the feeder chain and then add straw under it, you eventually can stretch the chain, leading to its early failure.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I swear by the harvest system feeder chain. Not the plastic sprockets though. The plastic slat chains are fantastic. They are lighter, easier on the feeder house mechanism and slides and much quieter. I have used them for 20 years. I had a couple in 1680's last 15 years each. I have also used them in 2188's 2388's 8010's and will be putting one in a 9120 next fall. He would not regret getting the feeder chain. However do not run too tight like was said above. That's a quick way to kill a chain.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Put one in my jd 9760 this fall. The connectors were really difficult to put together. I had 2 more shipped out but it seems like the flat part of bolt just did not want to line up easily. Connector bolts shockingly small compared to jd heavy duty but may be similar to jd regular duty not sure. (10 mm wrench instead of 13mm)

It worked fine. By the way how does a feeder chain not work fine. Stuff goes in front and comes out back. Not louder, quieter, quicker or slower. Just the same. Same price too as jd regular. I would just get jd next time for simplicity of parts.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Have used harvest services chains in three different JD combines, No problems with them and they run quieter and seem to require less adjustment. They are my first choice when it comes time for replacement.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Following everyones advice here as to how good Gibson feeder chain is. I bought one this fall and put it on as the metal one had done its time (800 hours). 4 strand. It was very hard to pull together as it is not rigid and you can't draw the chain together by pulling on the slats. They want to turn and wow and stretch. I jumped a link after the very first day of operation. In order to rectify this on a New Holland combine. I would have to remove the feeder house to bring it back into time. 2 days later, I jumped another 2 links on a different chain. Now she is all over the place. I have never had chains go out of time like this with metal slats. I have ran through some kochia patches but I don't plug the combine as I go through them. I also lost one bar and I am not sure it was a rock or a kochia weed. Combine didn't get hurt. To me, it seems the lack of rigidity with plastic slats with a fibreglass backbone is the issue and can cause the chain to jump.

I think I would have been happier spending the $2400 on a standard chain. I guess I must be the millionth man. Now I am wondering if a Harvest chain would have been better because the slats have a metal rib in them instead of fiberglass.

It sure runs quiet. I will post pictures when I get time and I take the feeder off to get it back into time. Maybe it will hop some more links.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Check to make 100% sure you dont have straw catching on the sides of the bars, thiscan cause a whole world of probs.
Second pull the head off, tighten till the chain is well off the floor, you must remember the chain is much lighter so it will naturally have far less sage to it.
Third, the first few days breaking in a new feeder chain you sould oil with chain lube once a day for a good break in, seems to be especially important with these light weight setups.

I have ran the harvest specialty set up since it was westward, had good luck, had one go prematurely but other wise I have one with well over 800hrs.

I would really like to try the Gibson but I like everything the same

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the advice. The feeder chain was set according to the NH spring gauge at the side and it is well up from the bottom. How do you prevent straw from catching on the sides of the bars? I have only been combining peas so far. I will lube it up good and retime it. Have you ever had a chain go out of time. I never have until I ran this Gibson. Never seen it before in a red combine - although all my red ones were only 2 strand chain.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
We have always ran harvest services plastic chain in our IH combines. Better feeding, quieter, less wear, less hp, etc. it's always been 3 strand. Never heard of plastic sprockets. I've put the poly on the rails, drums and wear plates too. Slides easier and quieter.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If I get a chain out of time I put a piece of rag under the offending chain and engage the machine or turn it over by hand
I will have to try this. Do you just tie the rag onto the chain and roll it? I have no access to my sprockets. My old Case IH you could remove the top end of feeder house and see the sprockets but this machine I can't. I have several chains out of time now.

It is worth a shot. I can use the feeder reverser and use the +/- button to try and roll the rag through. I sure would hate to have to remove the feeder house again and pull the chain apart. It is very hard to put together. After fighting several hours, I made myself a jig from an old bin door turnbuckle to pull the chain together and it made the process go a lot faster.

I have new cast OEM sprockets on this chain.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I ball up a piece of rag and put it between the sprocket and chain and then reverse or by hand and the rag falls out. May you could tape or tie it as you said to the chain if you cant get access.
It doesn't take much if a bend in a slat to make a tight spot in a chain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.