1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,225 Posts
Yes.
They were light.
They were quiet.
They were crap.
I tried both with/without spring steel reinforcing slats, they still broke.
This was however 20 years ago, perhaps the plastic material is better now.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Have one in our TR and one in the CR. so we have 2. We took the plastic one out of the TR because it wasn't feeding right. Low and behold I got rid of the macdon and got a honeybee and then put the plastic chain back in and it feeds like a dream. So, must have been the header. Had the CR's pile up at harvest and there wasn't a chain in Canada at NH, so went with a harvest services chain. Nice chain. Can't comment on durability yet with that one, but the one in the TR has done 2 good seasons and still looks good. Doesn't look like the plastic wears much at all.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
this is interesting, learned something new, i would think they wouldn't last long stretch and break, in our country with rocks??? scott.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Andy
You mention that it didn't work very well with the Macdon how do you think it will work with a auger header either straight cut or the standard 971 pickup header

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
It worked great with our pickup header. The problem with the macdon is that it didn't have a decent feed drum so the feeder chain was forced to try to pull the crop into the feedhouse as well as moving it to the rotors. Since a honeybee and an auger head have a very good system for doing this, it will not be an issue.

In all fairness, our steel chain we put in with the macdon didn't do very good either. In durum we would plug up the feedhouse probably once every 2 hours because it would bridge in front and either wrap around the top beater, jam under the canvases or slug into the feedhouse. This year with the plastic and honeybee I might have plugged the feedhouse once that I needed the reverser.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a harvest services chain on my 86 the last year I owned it....It was very unreliable and caused me a lot of heart ache....In soybeans, there were instances where it would just ball up and not get out of the opening...Then, 30 mins later, not a problem to be had!!! I went back to the steel chain and would never EVER go back to poly!!!!!

My heart rate is up just writing this post...I had an overall bad experience....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a harvest services chain on my 86 the last year I owned it....It was very unreliable and caused me a lot of heart ache....In soybeans, there were instances where it would just ball up and not get out of the opening...Then, 30 mins later, not a problem to be had!!! I went back to the steel chain and would never EVER go back to poly!!!!!

My heart rate is up just writing this post...I had an overall bad experience....Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input, everything was good once you put the steel slat chain back in???

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have 2 Harvest services ones in my massey rotors.. one is 3 years old the other has one season on it.. no problems so far.. used in . durum, 2 row barley, oats.. straight cut: peas and canola swathed.

good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m looking for more recent feedback on the Harvest services feeder chain vs the NH steel. I’m more so interested in the bigger newer CR combines 9090, 9.90, 10.90 both with or without the DSP.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
We have one in a CR 9080 for 2 years, one slat bent so far. Seems to run quieter and should be easier on the bottom of our feeder house, plan on buying one next year for our 9230.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can't comment on NH chain but we have been using Harvest Services chains on our JD combines for a few years. No complaints. Not missing straightening slats all the time. Runs much quieter and is much easier on your feeder house floor. We have never broken a slat and have had zero issues with feeding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
purchased mine from Mike at Precision Farm Parts for a TR98.......IMO, there's just NO comparison between the steel slated chains vs the urethane slats.

i'd hate to think i had to buy a steel slatted chain ever again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My harvest services has held up good so far. It is quiet and puts alot less wear on the sprockets and floor. I have 4.5 years on it and I suspect it will last atleast a few more. It works good up until the crop is both wet and green and then it sometimes gives issues and sometimes not. I feel like the rock drum doesnt help because on like a dsp machine the feeder slat is an inch or 2 off the main drum and it can dig into the straw so the sharpness of the slat doesnt matter as much. I cut the slots longer on the drum pivot and shortened the spacer inside the tensioner spring then added links until the slats stuck an inch past the front of the feederhouse and that made a good difference already, along with running the rock drum a notch or two higher if the rocks arent bad.

I have no experience with gibson but they look more aggressive so I will probably give them a shot next time

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel like the rock drum doesnt help because on like a dsp machine the feeder slat is an inch or 2 off the main drum and it can dig into the straw so the sharpness of the slat doesnt matter as much. I cut the slots longer on the drum pivot and shortened the spacer inside the tensioner spring then added links until the slats stuck an inch past the front of the feederhouse and that made a good difference already, along with running the rock drum a notch or two higher if the rocks arent bad.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I’m not quite following what you changed to make it better and why? Could you please explain again?

·
Registered
536 Posts
At the red arrow I lengthened the slot and at the blue arrow I cut the spacer in half. I'm trying to make it so it has the least dead space possible between the auger and the drum, and then it will feed more under the drum instead of straight into the face of it. I need to modify or remove the little shields at the bottom corners of the feederhouse next to let it go further and I tossed the dust shield.

Attachments

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,845 Posts
At the red arrow I lengthened the slot and at the blue arrow I cut the spacer in half. I'm trying to make it so it has the least dead space possible between the auger and the drum, and then it will feed more under the drum instead of straight into the face of it. I need to modify or remove the little shields at the bottom corners of the feederhouse next to let it go further and I tossed the dust shield.
you should try a posifeed drum Bob.
they are a triangular drum, not circular. They work great.

·
Registered
536 Posts
you should try a posifeed drum Bob.
they are a triangular drum, not circular. They work great.
I don't think that having a drum too far open would be a good combo with asp. I dont think that the shape of the drum has much effect on feeding, it is how far the slats can dig in. As you will notice none of the manufacturers to my knowledge use a flat sided drum but they have all trended to a smaller center diameter with the slats having a 1-3" stand off. That said due to the fact that we dont have many rocks and my drum has got a few miles on it, I plan to get some steel rolled around the chain pockets this winter to cheat a little and raise the slat off the drum a bit while reinforcing the wear points, but hopefully not overdo it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks! The picture with coloured arrows explained it perfectly! Is that a modification you think is mainly necessary because of the change to plastic slats?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts