The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any help on a more effective way to unplug the rear beater, have pulled all the straw i can with hands and pliers and its still tight. no way to reverse it? on a 70 series sts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have put a big pipe wrench on the left side pulley shaft to work it back and forth. I also have put a chain on the beater bar and pulled it with a pickup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've heard of guys using a drill and a spade bit and drilling lots of holes. I've also heard of guys using a chainsaw too. When you get it unplugged and finish harvest, look into a Kuchar discharge beater and you won't have that problem anymore.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It's good to see other combines get plugged as well, I have had Gleaner N series, New Holland TX and now Lexions plugged to the point of lighting them on fire. Just about all the time it was operator error for the plug in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Put a speed up kit in,two paddles instead of tines in the second last position of the rotor and grind the ends of the vanes off.Your Deere dealer should have parts and drawings.Our dealer here sells a big socket to turn the beater by hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its plugged solid and i've pulled all the straw(wet) I can from the back with the chopper raised, removed shield on left side and put a big pipe wrench on the nut, stuck solid. Discovered that my feed accelerator unplugging bar will fit if I remove the small nut that holds the pulley on, gonna have to put a chain on that and give it a pull tomorrow but I fear I will just bugger the wrench. Can really only pull from the back which turns it forward and I'd like to try and turn it backwards

·
Registered
125 Posts
IF its a 9870 there is some change ups to the beater going away from the tough handling feed accelator paddles back to standard paddles with a speed up kit. Plus in really tough conditions I will remove the two deflectors bolted on the beater grate..seems to be less wrapping/plugging with them gone

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ive used 2 come-alongs, hooked to a truck, hooked up the front side as far as you can reach. Works well the next morning when the wet straw dries out some. Leave some rotor panels open, it might let some air through, if not itll help burn the prick to the ground.

(Speed up kit/rotor flight kit is awaiting install)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Our neighbor plugged his IH a few years back with flax and got so pissed off he took the cutting torch and the garden hose and cut and soaked at the same time he actually got it to work. if all else fails try that!!!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I spend 8 hours with a sawzall & a carpet knife last year unplugging the beater. Most guys just sped the beaters up last year and didn't bother with any other changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really don't think the speed up kits are the answer. Speed is wear. The paddles on the Deere beater are just not deep enough to take the crop away and that's why they plug up. That's why i recommended the Kuchar discharge beater. The center pipe is a smaller diameter so that the paddles are deeper so they can take away straw better and have less of a chance of plugging up. The staggered paddles are better than the full width bars on the Deere beater as well. They will chew up any wads that come through where the Deere will try and put the wad through all at once with one bar. That is why they plug up if you ask me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I finally plugged up a beater good last night in weedy peas. I've never had one before that I couldn't pull backwards with a 4wd pickup and chain, till now. To get the plug out I ended up pulling the back 2 separator grates and pulled all the loose material there, then I disengage the feed accelerator, and took off the beater belt. Then I had the operator nudge the separator in gear so that the rotor only spun over once. Then dug out all the loose material again from the separator grate area, and after about 6 more times of nudging the rotor and pulling loose material I had access to the plug behind the beater which pulled out with very little effort. Couldn't believe how easy it pulled out and a pickup wouldn't even move the beater just a 1/2 hour earlier! FYI try to pull the material from the front of the beater while standing on the right side of the machine, that's the way the vains are angled.

Hope you get er going,
Chad

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had issues with a 9860 plugging up all i did was install a speed up kit. Problem solved. But if you happen to plug it all you need to do is get a big socket that fits on to the pulley and turn it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really don't think the speed up kits are the answer. Speed is wear. The paddles on the Deere beater are just not deep enough to take the crop away and that's why they plug up. That's why i recommended the Kuchar discharge beater. The center pipe is a smaller diameter so that the paddles are deeper so they can take away straw better and have less of a chance of plugging up. The staggered paddles are better than the full width bars on the Deere beater as well. They will chew up any wads that come through where the Deere will try and put the wad through all at once with one bar. That is why they plug up if you ask me.
I second the opinion on the lack of paddle depth. Deere's beater needs less tube diameter and deeper paddles. When looking at it cleaning a plug in soybeans, surprised it doesn't plug worse than it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts