The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post on here but have been a long time reader. I had a Prairie Post Frame 60x120x18 shed put up in September. Overall the construction seemed fine, But when the contractors were finished I noticed dents and dimples in the steel siding around where the screws were attached to the 2x6 strapping.
The contactor said it was normal due to the colour, PPF sent a guy out to have a look and he claimed he had never seen this before and there was nothing he could do to fix it.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I still owe them 20grand and they want to be paid. Just trying to decide if i should keep fighting for them to fix it, assign a monetary value to it and sign off on the build or is this normal for this colour and am i just being overly picky?
Fixture Rectangle Wood Road surface Grey
Building Wood Tower block Composite material Material property
Daytime Fixture Wood Composite material Siding

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That’s not normal what so ever. But was it built and suffered a wind storm without doors or something closed up. Almost looks tweaked from inside out???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone, first post on here but have been a long time reader. I had a Prairie Post Frame 60x120x18 shed put up in September. Overall the construction seemed fine, But when the contractors were finished I noticed dents and dimples in the steel siding around where the screws were attached to the 2x6 strapping.
The contactor said it was normal due to the colour, PPF sent a guy out to have a look and he claimed he had never seen this before and there was nothing he could do to fix it.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I still owe them 20grand and they want to be paid. Just trying to decide if i should keep fighting for them to fix it, assign a monetary value to it and sign off on the build or is this normal for this colour and am i just being overly picky? View attachment 163505 View attachment 163506 View attachment 163507

Thanks
It appears that you have a case there. That looks like poor workmanship, most crews are doing a good job but some really don’t seem to know/ care about doing things properly. Hope you can get some satisfaction

·
Registered
618 Posts
Lumber looks like it was cupped and caused the metal to crease when screw tightened. Workers weren’t careful enough to check for that when installing. That’s my initial thought when viewing the photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s not normal what so ever. But was it built and suffered a wind storm without doors or something closed up. Almost looks tweaked from inside out???
I wasn't there for the middle part of the build but I don't think we had any high winds that week in the Moose Jaw area. That might explain it though.

The dents really stand out when the sun hits it just right.
Sky Blue Building Rectangle Composite material

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wow. They even effed up your trim. Bad job. If the material was banged up before hand it never should have been installed. Or the installers banged it up. I’d be embarrassed if I did that.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I almost hate to ask, have you been on the roof yet to see what they "accomplished" up there as per this mess and a potential leaking roof. Perhaps its my own reaction but I am physically ill looking at that last photo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 20k holdback wouldn’t fix what needs fixing here. If it wasn’t for the risk of getting sued, I would suggest that this contractor be named publicly. Guys that do work like this give the industry a bad rep. PPF has a responsibility to see that their crews do things properly, so if they say nothing can be done about it, what they really are saying is”too bad for you, we aren’t going to do anything about it” Not a good way to run a business, in my opinion. We heard/seen firsthand how some of these contractors are completely clueless when it comes to putting up these sheds. They are paid very well for their work but the customer ends up holding the bag and putting up with the problem. The building companies need to be accountable, if they are recommending/providing builders who do crappy work.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Whats with the screws being fastened on a diagonal line in the one photo? Never seen that.

I agree with the thinking that they had a real bad batch of 2x6's that were cupped and the metal pulled into the cup with the screws. Not normal. Crew should have stopped building and waited for better supplies.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The last hold back is money to pay the builder. I would not pay that as the builder is the one who should have caught that.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I would contact the salesman and company to send someone out. I’m assuming the building is a contractor hired by Prairie Post Frame. To me it looks that they could of had soft wood or over drove the screw, causing cupping, either way unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I don’t remember tinning a pole building……maybe I sleep walk :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not normal, I have the same color combo. That said, I have no idea what would that. If it was just that side, the wind explanation seems plausible. That would drive me nuts looking at that every day, I am sure you as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lousy installation, overtightened screws will do that, the only way to correct is to re-install with new sheeting and that ain't going to happen.
Bets solution IMO is to assess a monetary value and put it behind, I'd not accept anything less than $5,000

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don’t pay anything until it’s fixed/replaced. 20 probably won’t cover it if it’s more than that end wall. That’s totally unacceptable and not normal would drive me nuts looking at it every day.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It’s hard to believe that Allen from PPF would not just replace the tin and make sure it was to your satisfaction!! I had couple of small things with my shop and I have never been treated so good!! Obviously it was a crew that had no clue WTF they were doing! There is no transition flashing even installed! This is what it should look like!!
Cloud Wood Grey Fixture Composite material

·
Registered
472 Posts
They need to fix their mess before they are paid anymore money. The job they did was horrible, just seeing the trim like that would make me sick if that was my building.

You may want to get some legal advice on how you should proceed with the builder.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts