The Combine Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Its not overtight screws. If you left the screws loose enough that they didn’t pull the metal tight to the 2x6 the metal would fall off in a year. It is not wind damage either, the metal would bend out from the screws.

It is most certainly cupped 2x6’s. They either cupped after installation and pulled the metal in (maybe not kiln dried enough) or they were cupped on installation and the installation crew should have stopped building and waited for different 2x6’s.

I would either take the payout or have the metal and 2x6’s replaced. My guess is that it was poor quality lumber.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That's a mess them wankers don't deserve the pay , either dished or cupped perlons or over tensioned screws and rough iron handling has done that... shame on them , start posting them photos on their companies Facebook and web pages.
You deserve new iron at the least, I would also involve your insurance company as they won't be keen to insure that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback, I appreciate it.

Here is the reply from the Praire Post Frame Engineer.

"Dear Recipient: I am writing this letter in regards to the 4 photos that were sent to ------from --------- on October 5th. Firstly, I would like to note that the lighting conditions can greatly effect the appearance of the metal siding. From viewing the photos, it appears that the kinks in the metal siding are due to bowing/cupping of the lumber purlins supporting the metal. The screws supporting the metal panels must be tightened sufficiently to compress and seal the neoprene washers to prevent moisture infiltration. The bowing/cupping is an inherent property of the lumber and is not within the control of Prairie Post Frame. -------- of Prairie Post Frame was on site to assess the building and adjusted some screws. It is of our opionion that nothing else can be done and that the minor kinking of the panels is consistent with industry standards."

·
Registered
638 Posts
If the lumber was cupped slightly they should have flipped it over and it could have been fine as long as the screws holding the metal were centered on the 2x6. If the lumber was severely cupped they should have got new lumber. Bottom line is lack of craftsmanship. Big problem nowadays. Nobody gives a $hit. As far as their response about screw tightening, that is not correct. Sure the washer has to be compressed but the metal also must contact the wood beneath it. What they are advocating would leave a gap between the metal and wood and would lead to obvious problems down the road. As for the trim job, well I’m sure Miss Anderson’s kindergarten class could have done better. Don’t back down.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback, I appreciate it.

Here is the reply from the Praire Post Frame Engineer, I've redacted names as my lawyer is now involved.

"Dear Recipient: I am writing this letter in regards to the 4 photos that were sent to ------from --------- on October 5th. Firstly, I would like to note that the lighting conditions can greatly effect the appearance of the metal siding. From viewing the photos, it appears that the kinks in the metal siding are due to bowing/cupping of the lumber purlins supporting the metal. The screws supporting the metal panels must be tightened sufficiently to compress and seal the neoprene washers to prevent moisture infiltration. The bowing/cupping is an inherent property of the lumber and is not within the control of Prairie Post Frame. -------- of Prairie Post Frame was on site to assess the building and adjusted some screws. It is of our opionion that nothing else can be done and that the minor kinking of the panels is consistent with industry standards."
After consulting with my lawyer, if he said I was good to go, i would plaster those pics WITH that statement ALL OVER the net, anywhere that someone that may want a pole shed might hang out. I can't imagine ANYONE hiring PPF after seeing those pics and reading that response. "industry standard" my a$$. "PPF standard" apparently but NO WAY industry standard.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After consulting with my lawyer, if he said I was good to go, i would plaster those pics WITH that statement ALL OVER the net, anywhere that someone that may want a pole shed might hang out. I can't imagine ANYONE hiring PPF after seeing those pics and reading that response. "industry standard" my a$$. "PPF standard" apparently but NO WAY industry standard.
I think ill be sending PPF a email cancelling my quote for a new pole shed !! Don't care if they are cheaper with that type of response and workmanship ...!!! Screw them!!!...... no pun intended

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi everyone, first post on here but have been a long time reader. I had a Prairie Post Frame 60x120x18 shed put up in September. Overall the construction seemed fine, But when the contractors were finished I noticed dents and dimples in the steel siding around where the screws were attached to the 2x6 strapping.
The contactor said it was normal due to the colour, PPF sent a guy out to have a look and he claimed he had never seen this before and there was nothing he could do to fix it.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I still owe them 20grand and they want to be paid. Just trying to decide if i should keep fighting for them to fix it, assign a monetary value to it and sign off on the build or is this normal for this colour and am i just being overly picky? View attachment 163505 View attachment 163506 View attachment 163507

Thanks
So sm320, have you got any satisfaction out of PPF yet or are they still figuring it’s not a big deal? Hopefully they stepped up to the plate and did the right thing!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Depressing to look at every morning! If thats industry standard workman ship we are all screwed. The pool of skilled workforce is getting pretty shallow. I would second to get that work crew listed with bbb or as many places possible if they refuse to own up. I would be red faced if that was my problem. No excuses, they will have to rip the siding down and put new strapping across the poles. Never seen that problem happen before.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sad to say but for a new building it looks like s--t. I got a shed built in 1993 that looks better than that. The 20 grand you owe them isn't enough to fix that. You got a legit case. Do they have a warranty?? If they aren't a reputable company they'll walk from the 20 grand because as I said the fix is more than that.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts