The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I have no experience with Pommiers but hear good things about them. The only concern I have is with 132 feet. 132 feet makes no sense unless you are row cropping perhaps. Thats an extra 4 nozzle bodies and nozzles + 7 extra feet to deal with with zero advantage over 125. In a field 1/2 mile wide it takes 21 passes to cover with 132 feet which leave you ate the wrong end of the field so you have to come back making it 22 passes. 125 feet does the field in 22 spraying passes . This is why the K&S booms that I sell are custom made to 125 feet. However, we do not offer recirculation so if that is something you want, Pommier would be the ticket. I believe they are a well built boom from what I understand.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your math on 125ft booms doesn’t add up on fields. Takes 22 passes on a square quarter section with 120ft. But the problem with most fields is nothing is square anymore in lots of places. Also if you have big rolling hills you may need a extra pass and have more then 160ac on a quarter.

I wouldn’t be spending a lot of money on a 4830 when you can buy a nice 4940 or 4045 with 120ft booms reasonable. A 4830 is the worst Deere sprayer we ever ran.

·
Registered
421 Posts
132' is exactly 20 passes on a half mile width; and that is with no road allowance, the full 2640'. Not many fields around here that big.
Must be the reason why they picked 132' and not some other number.

·
Registered
537 Posts
132 feet makes no sense regardless. Nozzles are typically on 20" spacing. You're not gonna have .2 of a nozzle. It's a 133.3333333 foot boom. (or a 131.666666 if it only has 79 nozzles, which I doubt) I've never understood why people will call a boom on 20" spacing with 60 nozzles 100 feet and a boom with 72 nozzles on 20" spacing 120 feet but then come out with a boom with 80 nozzles is suddenly 132 feet...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hadn't thought about the nozzle spacing. You are right on your figures, jcalder. But I certainly wouldn't mind having a sprayer with 80 nozzles spaced at 20" on center being called a 132' boom. That 1.33' extra would be nice when the sprayer is offline a few inches.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
You guys are forgetting you need 73 nozzles for a 120’ boom. 80 for a 131.xx boom. You need to put one at the start and end or the boom so have to add one

·
Registered
415 Posts
You guys are forgetting you need 73 nozzles for a 120’ boom. 80 for a 131.xx boom. You need to put one at the start and end or the boom so have to add one
Theres only 72 on a 120' boom. The distance between the end nozzles is only about 118.25-118.5' because the first nozzle isn't counted. The overlapping spray pattern is used to complete the width. If the distance between outer nozzles was 120', then you could set your track spacing to 121' or so rather than the common 119', 119.5', etc.

Most of the time with the 120', its just a small sliver of about 5-10' that puts you at the far end of the field. Adding even 2 nozzles would be enough to finish at the desired end of the field. I haven't heard of any aftermarket kits to accomplish this task.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That’s right. You have one more nozzle than spaces. Should measure total coverage, so if you were to start measuring from one side the first nozzle would be at 10” on the tape measure . That’s the way I understand it anyway. I played with this calculator a bit and seems to work that way.

Check This Out!
Centers and Spacing Calculator - Inch

4E497086-19C7-4446-BF7A-149E61BE00C2.png
0525B29B-CDB0-4420-B460-F626BAFE75C2.png

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that went of the rail quick, so quick recap why i would get the pommier,
I want recirc booms, we had them on our agrifac and i want to go back go that system. Had too many wrecka with not cleaning the booms good enough.
We would like a bit less weight in the back over the steel 120ft boom.
We solved the loud cab and the balance issue with counter weights and cab insulation. Its quite nice in there.
Another reason is the sprayer doesnt have much down time at all but when it does (had a flow rate sensor go and in 20 minutes im holding a new) one or if some code shows up i can call the mechanic or send him a picture and i get a answer.
The deere gps control is simple and most of our trainees can run them after 5 minutes of explaining.
Good friend of mine switched from a blue one to a yellow sprayer and complained about wheel motor and electronic issues. So i like to keep the sprayer as we owned it since almost new. And resale on the 4830 is a joke. Seems like a lot of money spend but atleast i go wider and have less weight.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Your math on 125ft booms doesn’t add up on fields. Takes 22 passes on a square quarter section with 120ft. But the problem with most fields is nothing is square anymore in lots of places. Also if you have big rolling hills you may need a extra pass and have more then 160ac on a quarter.
Yup, that the math I used when I went o 120' in 2013. Sold them after one season.

I wouldn’t be spending a lot of money on a 4830 when you can buy a nice 4940 or 4045 with 120ft booms reasonable. A 4830 is the worst Deere sprayer we ever ran.
And yet, there isn't a sprayer made that i would trade for my 4830. To each is own. Different priorities perhaps.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
132' is exactly 20 passes on a half mile width; and that is with no road allowance, the full 2640'. Not many fields around here that big.
Must be the reason why they picked 132' and not some other number.
132' is 40 meters. I expect that that is why and the guys with 132 feet more often that not end up 21 passes just like the guys with 120 feet get 23. That's why another cuts guy here had his made to 135'. Maybe our land was surveyed different but everyone I know running 120' finish at the wrong end.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Most of the time with the 120', its just a small sliver of about 5-10' that puts you at the far end of the field. Adding even 2 nozzles would be enough to finish at the desired end of the field. I haven't heard of any aftermarket kits to accomplish this task.
BINGO!!!!! BTW my booms are 75 noxxles which I believe is 3 nozzles more than the industry standard "120 foot" booms.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ok that went of the rail quick, so quick recap why i would get the pommier,
I want recirc booms, we had them on our agrifac and i want to go back go that system. Had too many wrecka with not cleaning the booms good enough.
We would like a bit less weight in the back over the steel 120ft boom.
We solved the loud cab and the balance issue with counter weights and cab insulation. Its quite nice in there.
Another reason is the sprayer doesnt have much down time at all but when it does (had a flow rate sensor go and in 20 minutes im holding a new) one or if some code shows up i can call the mechanic or send him a picture and i get a answer.
The deere gps control is simple and most of our trainees can run them after 5 minutes of explaining.
Good friend of mine switched from a blue one to a yellow sprayer and complained about wheel motor and electronic issues. So i like to keep the sprayer as we owned it since almost new. And resale on the 4830 is a joke. Seems like a lot of money spend but atleast i go wider and have less weight.
I don't think you would be disappointed with the Pommier. I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
our 120 foot finishes at the wrong end most of the time
Mine also. Even the correction line fields I end up with 10-15 feet I have to drive to the wrong end of the field for. But we don’t have many square fields

Our sprayer is a front boom new holland and has 73 nozzles also I wasn’t aware that John Deere cheated guys on width.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts