The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Patriot also uses 72 nozzles. By my calculations, pass to pass, that gives exactly 100% overlap on every nozzle, including the outer-most nozzles. I don't see how that cheats on width. The outer nozzles are each located 10" from the end of the boom (or 710" out from the center in each direction), and they shoot out 20", so the next pass will provide the 100% overlap. 73 nozzles at 20" spacing with 120' passes would over-spray by exactly double on that outer-most nozzle. If you have 73 nozzles, I'd set my spacing to be 1460" to avoid that (121' 8"). That's assuming impossible GPS and steering accuracy of course. In real life it doesn't seem to matter. And a little overlap has never caused any problems. With the pull type we used to spray at 119' with a 72 nozzle 120' boom, so that was sometimes quite a bit of overlap.

That’s right. You have one more nozzle than spaces. Should measure total coverage, so if you were to start measuring from one side the first nozzle would be at 10” on the tape measure . That’s the way I understand it anyway. I played with this calculator a bit and seems to work that way.
You're right about the 10", but the number of nozzles should be the same as the number of 20" spaces. The 10" is just because the nozzles are at the center of the spaces, which is 10" offset from the starting point.

Back on topic, the recirculating boom idea is definitely appealing! I'd love to figure out a way to do it with an existing boom somehow without radically altering the plumbing and removing the section control valves and relying solely on the individual nozzle solenoids. Between that and continuous rinse, that would make for pretty nice operation of the sprayer.

Perhaps with a regular boom without any PWM solenoids, could push fluid through the pipes at a low enough pressure to not open the diaphrams on the nozzle bodies to manually prime the booms.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
Windmill I'm sure you have talked to Gaber's about this already and I can't really comment on the Deere sprayer end of things, but 132' is a pretty big boom. I know on the Rogators they like to see the heavy center rack for the 132' and the lighter rack can be used for the 120'. Mine is a 120' with light center rack and it will go in soft conditions like no sprayer I have ever used before, including my Patriot sprayers I had before. About 1100 hours on the boom now and no cracks or issues so far, just a few fittings broken over the years. They are not common to NA as the boom is from France, so best to keep spares around of the common stuff(Agwest carries parts which is close to you). Nice part of the air check valves is when the boom is turned on they are open, no crappy piddly pattern at low pressures because the check valve wants to close. No more wasting solution priming booms and trial work is a breeze, just add your product and wait a minute for it to circulate through the boom and you are good to start a trial. And cleaning is a dream for sure, one feature I would never be without after having it is the re-circulating boom.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was talking to a JD Service manager who said he only saw one pommier install on a Deere, and that it went very poorly. But I think that was quite a while ago, I’m sure they would have it figured out now.
I think it is a good idea, I am very impressed with our Pommier.
Windmill you say you already have 120’ so this comment isn’t for directed toward you... I had my heart set on a 132’, but we ended up finding a RG we liked with only 120’. I am now very happy we settled for a 120’, on our farm I think 132’ would have been a challenge with drainage ditches.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I was talking to a JD Service manager who said he only saw one pommier install on a Deere, and that it went very poorly. But I think that was quite a while ago, I’m sure they would have it figured out now.
One of our dealers order several 4830's without booms and installed Pommels. As far as i know, no issues.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Windmill I'm sure you have talked to Gaber's about this already and I can't really comment on the Deere sprayer end of things, but 132' is a pretty big boom. I know on the Rogators they like to see the heavy center rack for the 132' and the lighter rack can be used for the 120'. Mine is a 120' with light center rack and it will go in soft conditions like no sprayer I have ever used before, including my Patriot sprayers I had before. About 1100 hours on the boom now and no cracks or issues so far, just a few fittings broken over the years. They are not common to NA as the boom is from France, so best to keep spares around of the common stuff(Agwest carries parts which is close to you). Nice part of the air check valves is when the boom is turned on they are open, no crappy piddly pattern at low pressures because the check valve wants to close. No more wasting solution priming booms and trial work is a breeze, just add your product and wait a minute for it to circulate through the boom and you are good to start a trial. And cleaning is a dream for sure, one feature I would never be without after having it is the re-circulating boom.
The fact that you don't have to charge your booms is a HUGE positive IMO. However, I still can't wrap my head around how to rinse as well or efficiently as i do now if I had recirculating booms. Perhaps i just don't understand how they work exactly. IMO, continuous rinse is the way to go but have yet to install it on my machine.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
With recirculating booms, there's no need to open the boom ends and flush them out. Just send fresh water through them from the clean tank, and dump it back in the main tank, were it's diluted and dumped I suppose. Or do a poor man's continuous rinse by washing the tank down with clean water, spray that out, repeat a couple of times. Because of recirculation, the booms are already clean, and so is the tank.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
With recirculating booms, there's no need to open the boom ends and flush them out. Just send fresh water through them from the clean tank, and dump it back in the main tank, were it's diluted and dumped I suppose. Or do a poor man's continuous rinse by washing the tank down with clean water, spray that out, repeat a couple of times. Because of recirculation, the booms are already clean, and so is the tank.
I don't open the boom ends. The problem as I see it (bear in mine that I may misunderstand how the recirculation works exactly) that as you rinse the tank you are constantly recontaminating it from the booms requiring more time and water to get a proper rinse. I rinse my tank first, then when it's clean, put on another 40 gallons of clean water and push all that out the nozzles. Done. Then when I refill, the booms get pushed out AGAIN when I recharge. Nothing form the booms gets put back into the tank. It all goes out the nozzles and is gone from the system. So instead of having to dilute all that solution from the booms which takes time and water, I only have to dilute the residue from the tank and push the solution out of the booms with clean water.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't open the boom ends. The problem as I see it (bear in mine that I may misunderstand how the recirculation works exactly) that as you rinse the tank you are constantly recontaminating it from the booms requiring more time and water to get a proper rinse. I rinse my tank first, then when it's clean, put on another 40 gallons of clean water and push all that out the nozzles. Done. Then when I refill, the booms get pushed out AGAIN when I recharge. Nothing form the booms gets put back into the tank. It all goes out the nozzles and is gone from the system. So instead of having to dilute all that solution from the booms which takes time and water, I only have to dilute the residue from the tank and push the solution out of the booms with clean water.
If that is how you like to rinse, a recirculation system can do just that.
You can shut off the boom circuit, rinse tank, then bypass the tank and run water directly into boom. The recirc may actually be quicker because you don't have to push it all out nozzles, there is a dump valve to flush what remains out booms.
I know you are a professional at what you do, but I can't believe how many sprayer operators don't flush their boom ends. I know most get away with it, almost all of the time. However I have seen it locally where a certain product or certain lot number of product some how creates problems... and it has been unflushed boom ends that are the culprit.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If that is how you like to rinse, a recirculation system can do just that.
You can shut off the boom circuit, rinse tank, then bypass the tank and run water directly into boom. The recirc may actually be quicker because you don't have to push it all out nozzles, there is a dump valve to flush what remains out booms.
But there are two lines to flush, the nozzle tubing AND the return tubing. Are you saying that they both can be pushed away from the tank rather than returning??.
I know you are a professional at what you do, but I can't believe how many sprayer operators don't flush their boom ends. I know most get away with it, almost all of the time. However I have seen it locally where a certain product or certain lot number of product some how creates problems... and it has been unflushed boom ends that are the culprit.
I don't have " boom ends" per se. I run express end caps, no dead space after the last nozzle. Express End Caps

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Seems to me a boom air purge system would also have a similar effect to a recirculating boom in that once the solution gets to the nozzles, it's primed. But you'd still have to run out a few gallons to get the air out.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Are you saying that they both can be pushed away from the tank rather than returning??.
Yes. When it's not recirculating (when it's in spraying mode), the return line becomes an additional pressure line. At least that's how the Pommier works I think. Other systems could be different. My description of a poor man's recirculating boom would not have that feature.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yes. When it's not recirculating (when it's in spraying mode), the return line becomes an additional pressure line. At least that's how the Pommier works I think. Other systems could be different. My description of a poor man's recirculating boom would not have that feature.
Gotcha. However, would that not require twice the volume of water since you would be pushing put 2 lengths of tubing rather than one??.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Boom air blow out works good came on our sprayer. Then after tank is rinsed you push the water through the nozzles and your done. I blow the water out after rinsing also then when I go spray it’s only a few seconds and you have product coming out the nozzles.
Only trouble with this is you can get air trapped in the boom and nozzles won’t completely shut off cause of the extra pressure in the boom. Takes a few acres before it purged air out

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Boom air blow out works good came on our sprayer. Then after tank is rinsed you push the water through the nozzles and your done. I blow the water out after rinsing also then when I go spray it’s only a few seconds and you have product coming out the nozzles.
Only trouble with this is you can get air trapped in the boom and nozzles won’t completely shut off cause of the extra pressure in the boom. Takes a few acres before it purged air out
So how does that work??, where/how is the air introduced, must be a valve that prevents the air from just going into the tank. How big of an air tank is required?. How long does it take to blow out the booms. I suspect that you can be blowing out the booms while you are rinsing the tank.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
So how does that work??, where/how is the air introduced, must be a valve that prevents the air from just going into the tank. How big of an air tank is required?. How long does it take to blow out the booms. I suspect that you can be blowing out the booms while you are rinsing the tank.
There is a Section valve right on the main line going to the boom section valves. There is a check valve in the air line along with a check valve in the main product line. I can’t rinse the tank while blowing out the booms but only takes a couple minutes to blow out the booms. I run some clean water from rinse tank through pump to the booms before blowing out if I am changing product to get the main line mostly rinsed out. I normally do it in the field when changing product or bieng done for the day. Just shut off the pump and hit the switch for the air. Can do a 100’ or so in the field before it starts to run out on centre section. The tank would be comparable to a air tank on a semi trailer. It will run 50ish psi to the boom

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
There is a Section valve right on the main line going to the boom section valves. There is a check valve in the air line along with a check valve in the main product line. I can’t rinse the tank while blowing out the booms but only takes a couple minutes to blow out the booms. I run some clean water from rinse tank through pump to the booms before blowing out if I am changing product to get the main line mostly rinsed out. I normally do it in the field when changing product or bieng done for the day. Just shut off the pump and hit the switch for the air. Can do a 100’ or so in the field before it starts to run out on centre section. The tank would be comparable to a air tank on a semi trailer. It will run 50ish psi to the boom
How big is the air line?

·
Registered
758 Posts
LTK I think a recirculating would take less water because each boom is being fed from just one feed hose rather than the multiple feeds on a regular boom plus the fact that with recirculating I feel there would be a more distinct column of spray solution being pushed out by a distinct fresh water column rather than a gradual dilution of spray solution if you just spray it out through the nozzles. I am surprised that you can get by with spraying 40 gallons through your nozzles and be clean. There is no way that would be enough on my 100' rogator boom with express ends. My 100' boom with all the multiple feed hoses holds a lot of solution. I would love a recirculating boom.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Circulating booms should be mandatory, just for taking the guess work out for priming the booms with chemicals after changing / cleaning machine .
Case still does not have that as option .
you would think for 600 k ............

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Our Gator has the air kit as well and yeah same here just blow the booms out after a rinse and then they charge up instantly with the new chem. No recirc needed here.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts