The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my old MF 220 was getting up in hrs and is showing it's age. Crops looked great mid June and figured I would make this yr the one to upgrade my swather. Nothing fancy just a 1202 case with a 30' honeybee header. Not a huge expense by any means at $39500 with 1400 hrs. I make the deal and some TLC I wanted the dealership to do and it arrives yesterday. Since I made the deal, and the time it took to arrive, the crops have suffered big time. Wishing I wouldn't have purchased it now. It got me thinking how a guy with a new X9 or any other brand sitting in the yard with a poor crop could warrant putting hrs on it. A 40' header on a 30 yr old combine could harvest it easily. Hrs on these expensive high dollar machines really hit on its resale value. Never make use of the power and fuel it consumes with some of these crops a guy see's. Short crops with the header on the ground is hard on stuff especially in rock country. The old R62 might get used yet this yr in some crop depending on whether we get a needed rain today.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
It would suck, but still have to combine. Will put less hours on in a ****ty crop at least.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Would rather run a extremely good combine this year more then any other year. At 21 plus Canola I would be combining even a 5bu crop and smiling as long as I get every pound of it possible. (1/4bu of loss is 5 bucks 🥺)

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
What’s there to combine. Lot of our durum will be wrote off. Peas maybe get enough to get seed

·
Registered
709 Posts
the crops have suffered big time. Wishing I wouldn't have purchased it now.
Dont worry dookiller, When most guys upgrade equipment they are looking at 5 year financing or more and for small things just pay cash like semi trucks. If you are worried you cant afford a piece of equipment because you might have a few bad years than you should not buy it in the first place. you ll be fine!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the land rent that owners are looking for a premium price for might take a hit after this yr. $70-150 + acre rent in some areas is going to be rethought. I think this dry thing might take a couple yrs minimum of above normal precip to recoup what soil reserves had. I know my crop has been living on reserves because nothing from the sky in a long time and my crop is still alive somehow. Nothing in the tank for next yr during a dry spell that's for sure. This isn't a 1 yr event. This is going to be a multiple yr event for many and a fat wallet soon becomes thin in agriculture. My farm is small and my equipment is far from new because it doesn't need to be. I have the ability to fix what I own and don't buy stuff I can't. I have experienced many a wet yr here hitting the crops bad and hurt the cash flow. Being dry now is similar but add the grasshoppers instead of the fungicide. The rain that was coming all day and making it's way on the radar just never showed up as usual. They can predict the weather close about 1 1/2 hrs from the actual event. Beyond that they roll some dice I think. You ever notice there is always a 40% chance 2-3 days away so you feel optimistic. I swear they do this intentionally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well the land rent that owners are looking for a premium price for might take a hit after this yr. $70-150 + acre rent in some areas is going to be rethought. I think this dry thing might take a couple yrs minimum of above normal precip to recoup what soil reserves had. I know my crop has been living on reserves because nothing from the sky in a long time and my crop is still alive somehow. Nothing in the tank for next yr during a dry spell that's for sure. This isn't a 1 yr event. This is going to be a multiple yr event for many and a fat wallet soon becomes thin in agriculture. My farm is small and my equipment is far from new because it doesn't need to be. I have the ability to fix what I own and don't buy stuff I can't. I have experienced many a wet yr here hitting the crops bad and hurt the cash flow. Being dry now is similar but add the grasshoppers instead of the fungicide. The rain that was coming all day and making it's way on the radar just never showed up as usual. They can predict the weather close about 1 1/2 hrs from the actual event. Beyond that they roll some dice I think. You ever notice there is always a 40% chance 2-3 days away so you feel optimistic. I swear they do this intentionally.
Troubling times for guys in my area.....contract buyouts on over extended bushels, poor rental decisions(overpaying) just to say you have it, livestock producers hinging on only silage as a feed source, pastures disappearing, over extended, over bought, no risk management, and the list goes on and on.....we've always have seem to snag those saving rains....not so much this year! We will either learn from this, or make ritchie brothers the richest company in the world.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We almost overpaid for a self propelled sprayer at an auction this spring. Used sprayers at the time were hard to find for a decent price and the used ones dealers had seemed to be flying off the lots. Now watching auctions they are selling below market value. It’s crazy how fast things can completely change.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That hit the nail on the head Don. I just spent last few days watching radar and its lies of clouds actually making it to us in 3-4 hrs. They magically went every direction veering away. Many bad thunderstorms this week, which I was prepared to take, but got to watch a lightening show south and east of us instead 2 nights ago. The canola I do have could fill with a shot of rain. Not too sure what is going to be the end result. It's a miracle in my eyes it's still alive. My barley is getting thinner by the hour. I consider myself lucky compared to many over the prairies to still have something to harvest. It's a mixed bag every direction you go. 20 miles south of me they have had 3 rains with over 2" in the last 3 weeks. Nice crops. Just the luck of the storm paths. North in Carrot river they had a rain or 3 we never got too I heard this summer. Prices where they are headed are going to make some big cash for some producers with good crops this yr. For others a kick in the nuts rubbing the salt in the wounds. Chelan sand 10 miles Northwest of me the crops are pooched. Everyday driving home from the lake a week ago, I could see further and further into the crop and browning off real bad. The wet yrs they did real well where my crops just got too saturated. Never a happy medium it seems. My old equipment will handle harvest with ease this yr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts