The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone grow it? My neighbor grows it, we steal it when it's ready and have a snack after we cook it. He only plants like 80 acres I think.

White corn - the same neighbor also plants white corn. I heard that he has to sell it on a certain day. That is only in our area though.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've had neighbors who have grown both. You need a production contract for the popcorn first, or it may be impossible to sell on the open market. White corn you should have a production contract, or at least know where you are going to sell it, and all the grain quality standards you have to meet.

When you haul your speciality crop to market, all the fields you pass have a transportation advantage over you. Do you have other advantages large enough to offset those transportation advantages?

Also, you are not just selling another commodity crop. Some of that premium goes to pay for tighter quality specifications. For white corn, there are things like 14% moisture max, limits on chemicals used, and tight broken kernal specifications. If it doesn't make grade, expect to sell at a discount somewhere.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We grow a little popcorn, Dad (Republican Valley Popcorn) used to have a couple acres when he sold it to theaters and schools around here.

Joe C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts