The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 2003 cr 960 last year. Wow, what a change from a 1688! Anyway, I had trouble with tough straw bridging over the chopper and then plugging the whole back end rotors to spreaders up. I noticed on the newer machines there is a short conveyor (PDS) to eliminate this problem. Does anyone know if one can be installed or added to mine? Dealer has been " looking into it" since December. Not too many of these machines around here so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
all of the european combines have the PDS as standard unless specd otherwise, the US machines normally have the roller thing in the back above the chopper, im not sure what it called as all of our machines are european ones, im sure the PDS would fit in the gap but i dont know if the hydraulics would be right, it may be as simple as getting the valve block and plumbing it up, your dealer should be able to get hold of one, if you can spec the machine to have it fitted at the factory i cant see why you couldnt get one to fit to it yourself?? i could be wrong, hope this helps, Cheers Ben

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The reason to PDS is on the deluxe chopper is that the straw is discharged over the top of the chopper (slides down the back) when dropping straw which allows the chaff to still be spread. I was plugging the PDS last year in dry canola on our CR9070.

I had similar trouble on our CR970 with the standard chopper. It seems that either the hole is not big enough or the roller does not have enough traction. There is a new roller available I think that is made from dimpled steel rather than rubber that should give more traction. But if you want to be cheap like me, get a hole saw and a couple of drill bits and move the roller forward about 4 inches. This allows for a larger area for the straw to go into the top of the chopper. It made all the difference in the world! I think there are a lot of holes available in the chopper and I was able to use 2 or three of them depending on how you line up the bracket.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
New Holland has really floundered with this over the years.
We had a neighbor that had a 1977 TR 70 that had trouble getting the straw to the chopper in certain conditions.
You would think after 35 years of the basically same design they would have that figured out.
Yeah, you would think that.

Don

·
Registered
50 Posts
To answer your original question yes the PSD conveyor should be able to be added to your machine. There is a kit that you can purchase from your dealer. But i must warn you it is expensive.

Another thing you can check is that your chopper knives are sharp and not overly worn. This will cause the chopper not to cut teh material as quickly and cause it to back up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The new discharge system works great compared to the drum on older machines. There is an easy adjustment on keeping the apron tight that must be checked periodically, but when tight I have no trouble feeding pds even at extreme loads. Well worth the money. With 970, I could plug it when going through heavy canola especially after drying up after a rain and going through a heavy spot. With 9080, there may be a change, because plugging was never an issue. I think back a couple of years ago I had more trouble with plugging pds doing canola with course straw and when rotor clearance was quite wide open. When I closed it a bit, 35mm it was good. Another thing I do now is run higher rotor rpm in canola so this may help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yellowwins is correct. You can get a kit to have it installed on any CR combine. Who are you talking to at your dealership? If you havn't talked to the service manager directly, go ahead and do so. If he doesn't have a clue phone another New Holland dealer who does.

Also the PSD is an option. Not all CRs are going to have it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree the PDS is great compared to the older systems. I do know back on the TR's in the past we have had to adjust the angle on the deflector plate on the rear of the discharge beater. Sometimes it wasnt throwing the straw far enough back and anyone who has ever pluged the discharge beater with straw that back feed knows its a pain to clean out by crawling in the back of the combine, especially flax.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Deluxe chopper option is a lot cheaper than that on a factory order. But to have the dealer install the PSD after the fact is around $8,000 parts and labour.

I believe a Mav chopper is around the same money installed. Although I havn't talked to anyone that has done it recently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts